Prospect Info: At 31st Overall the Habs Select Logan Mailloux - Part 2 (MOD post#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
If the gamble pays off then no one will give a shit about the fans who jump ship because their little veneer got messed with. And while you guys may have a reasonably large group, the amount of people that want to see winners trumps those who want to see their club be part of some Justice League.

It’s all about the Benjamins baby. While obviously at the same time maintaining some sort of fair and just system of course. Buddy got tried and paid his dues, to this point all the actual details are hazy and will remain hazy unless you were actually there to see the crime transpire, and fewer and fewer people will care as time goes on.

What is the gamble exactly? That contrary to every 1st round pick the Canadiens have made since Price, with the exception of Caufield, Mailloux is actually a sure-fire winner? Every player after 30 is a gamble, the difference is that this gamble is radioactive for the business/promotional side of the operation, which is reliant on maintaining an inclusive, wholesome image. The reason you have a team to cheer for is because "that reasonably large group" is financing a team so maybe don't dismiss it. You might be surprised to learn that businesses typically try not to piss off large groups of customers.

Here is a thought experiment for you: if the Canadiens had picked someone else, would you have cared, or would you have gone on a rant about how vitally important it was to draft Mailloux as he is a gem and excellent gamble? The chances are in fact very high that you had no clue who he was prior to being drafted. And that is the point. The Habs pissed off a lot of people without really appeasing anyone at all, least of all "your" group.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
What is the gamble exactly? That contrary to every 1st round pick the Canadiens have made since Price, with the exception of Caufield, Mailloux is actually a sure-fire winner? Every player after 30 is a gamble, the difference is that this gamble is radioactive for the business/promotional side of the operation, which is reliant on maintaining an inclusive, wholesome image. The reason you have a team to cheer for is because "that reasonably large group" is financing a team so maybe don't dismiss it. You might be surprised to learn that businesses typically try not to piss off large groups of customers.

Here is a thought experiment for you: if the Canadiens had picked someone else, would you have cared, or would you have gone on a rant about how vitally important it was to draft Mailloux as he is a gem and excellent gamble? The chances are in fact very high that you had no clue who he was prior to being drafted. And that is the point. The Habs pissed off a lot of people without really appeasing anyone at all, least of all "your" group.
I’d read about Mailloux during the playoffs, didn’t care much then for the story and don’t now. Idk how old you are but if you’re from before cell phones were a thing you have no idea how common this is. And how little anyone actually cares.

I know it shakes up your world view but if you’re one of those “I’m a father” type dudes posting here, just sleep well knowing your daughters peers spend their time dancing to songs called Throat Baby to entertain each other. Nothing Was The Same as the wise bard Drake once purposed.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

There are lineups for season ticket holders. If they lose a 100, a 1000 take their place.

This just your take to justify your view and nothing more.

Nice try...but irrelevant.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
My wife keeps asking me...."there has to be more then this".

There isn't.

All the chattering from the tiny cancel culture can scream all they want. All they are doing is exposing themselves as nothing more the pseudo moralist screaming for vengeance.
Yeah, that’s not correct, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Not that 2 wrongs make a right, but Dany Heatley killed his teammate drunk driving and he played a long time after that.

People forget things and move on, that's just life. I don't see how this will be any different. If he has the talent, they'll have him say and do the right things and everyone will move on.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I’d read about Mailloux during the playoffs, didn’t care much then for the story and don’t now. Idk how old you are but if you’re from before cell phones were a thing you have no idea how common this is. And how little anyone actually cares.

I know it shakes up your world view but if you’re one of those “I’m a father” type dudes posting here, just sleep well knowing your daughters peers spend their time dancing to songs called Throat Baby to entertain each other. Nothing Was The Same as the wise bard Drake once purposed.

Who would have thought you of all people would have minimized a crime against a woman? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Garry Valk

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Like using drugs?

Rubbing shoulders with the underworld?

Starting fights with teamates?

Those don't look like mistakes of a kid in a foreign country and bad influnces around him.

Players like Guy Carbonneau and Mike Cammalleri were shipped out because they hurt the Canadiens brand and image. They did far less than this kid and were run out of town for it.

You're right the kid made a mistake, paid for it in court and should get a 2nd chance

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have no problem selecting him and I certainly don't even understand the sudden shock of the hockey world about it. I think we are more offended about anything sexually related than actual physical/drugs abuse nowaday.

That being said, i would have probably try to draft him in the early 2nd to have less of a spotlight than primetime tv with that selection.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Who would have thought you of all people would have minimized a crime against a woman? :sarcasm:
It’s not really on the forefront of my thought process, about that you are right.

We live in a pretty good time right now, for both men and women. I don’t think they need me to worry about them. They’re stronger than you would imagine.

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
All this drama would had not existed if Habs (or any other org) would had accepted Mailloux' demand to NOT draft him this year.

How about the league's responsability in this then ? I'm not the biggest fan of the pick, but there is reports that a bunch of teams wanted to draft him in the 2nd round... Then... If Bergevin really wanted him he was right to take him there. You can agree or disagree with the man but I've never seen a GM so ballsy. It's pretty crazy. He wanted him and accepted all the repercussions that came along with the pick.

So, yeah, IMO a prospect should be allowed to take himself out of the draft. All this wouldn't of happened.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
now I wonder what Bill Burr would have to say about all this, ( ok kid get what you can as fast as you can, but dont tell your mom I told you so)

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

Yeah, I am one of those type dudes actually. My world view is not shook, however. I realize how crazy and chaotic the new digital world is and that things are far more public than in the past. I don't have a solution to it other than openly discussing the matter with my kids and to show them examples of assholes like Mailloux. It's great that we have a role model on our team now to point to for no real strategic benefit!

Reactions: ultra63

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
There are lineups for season ticket holders. If they lose a 100, a 1000 take their place.

This just your take to justify your view and nothing more.

Nice try...but irrelevant.

That may be true, in which case this totally unnecessary and avoidable "gamble" will have ... what is the pay off exactly?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That may be true, in which case this totally unnecessary and avoidable "gamble" will have ... what is the pay off exactly?
A young man who has a path to a top 4 or top 2.

Have you bothered to read his scouting reports? Guhle with more offense. WJ team like him but avoiding the publicity. A year from now, he's probably on the team.

Too bad because it would be a treat to see Guhle and him ripping it for our WJ.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
How about the league's responsability in this then ? I'm not the biggest fan of the pick, but there is reports that a bunch of teams wanted to draft him in the 2nd round... Then... If Bergevin really wanted him he was right to take him there. You can agree or disagree with the man but I've never seen a GM so ballsy. It's pretty crazy. He wanted him and accepted all the repercussions that came along with the pick.

So, yeah, IMO a prospect should be allowed to take himself out of the draft. All this wouldn't of happened.

For that to happens you should get the unanimous signed consents of all 32 GM.

you want to avoid the projected #1 overall pick to drop out just because he does not like the team picking #1.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Nobody is "minimizing" anything sport. Just giving a kid that made a mistske a second chance.

By saying he made a mistake instead of calling a spade a spade, you are indeed minimizing the act. You might not realize it now (or ever), but you are part of the problem.

I think you are one very ridiculous character here, playing the victim of your fantasized stoning and cancelling, so you can go ahead and pretend I just threatened you.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Yeah, I am one of those type dudes actually. My world view is not shook, however. I realize how crazy and chaotic the new digital world is and that things are far more public than in the past. I don't have a solution to it other than openly discussing the matter with my kids and to show them examples of assholes like Mailloux. It's great that we have a role model on our team now to point to for no real strategic benefit!
Yeah I mean if you teach your daughters not to put an unheralded amount of trust into teenage a-hole jocks then that would be a good lesson for them to learn. That class is probably the most degenerate group to exist when it comes to these matters. No offence to those who are decent people which is the vast majority.

And I too can appreciate the convo when it doesn’t resort to mudslinging like my pal Protoa Aritzivia had to engage in. Any discussion about morals will always appeal to me, and it’s a nice break from reading about which random players we can use to fleece another team out of a superstar because their GM sniffs glue on the regular.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I do not have a problem with the pick. I believe in 2nd chances and if he turns out to be a turd then fine no big deal, waive him and done. My biggest problem is the asset management. If this was the guy they wanted and knew that it was unlikely that any other team takes him so early, why not move back 10-15 spots for another pick or 2 and get him anyways???

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad