Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
We have the money for Morrissey and Trouba next year.

That said, this off-season may be the time to move Frenchie for the best return.
Maybe, but it’s very tight. IMO it’s more likely then not that we can’t sign both long term unless we move out salary over the offseason.

That said, this off-season may be the time to move Frenchie for the best return.
Myers would be a better option to move out, assuming we can't find a way to move Kulikov or Mason.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy doesn't trade 44 or 8 because of money...he e would make room for them.
I think we should trade Myers but let's not forget that he's only got one year left on his contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe, but it’s very tight. IMO it’s more likely then not that we can’t sign both long term unless we move out salary over the offseason.

Myers would be a better option to move out, assuming we can't find a way to move Kulikov or Mason.

If we move Myers and then can't get Trouba locked up our RD is pretty bad. Of course, not signing Trouba long term doesn't mean he is gone right away so there is time to work on it. But all we would have is an aging Buff and 3rd pair Poolman. We got nuthin' else on the right side but hope for some long-shots.

I was thinking that Frenchie would have to be moved after 1 more year anyway, even with Myers' and Mason's contracts expiring. Doing it this off-season buys a little breathing room for next year's cap and removes the concern of a bonus overage.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
to the bolded, if you think the quality of players in Liiga is inferior to that in the AHL you clearly don't know much about hockey outside of north america. Top end quality is much higher in Liiga and the game in general is much more "mature", for lack of a better word, more tactical is probably closest to what I mean here. It's not a bad place to develop for Vesalainen or any other prospect by any means.

The difference is that AHL is a development league. Decisions are made in the interest of player development, not in the interest of winning.

The relative quality of play in the 2 leagues is an argument I wouldn't want to bother with. The difference in development of NHL players is what is important here.

Reactions: Trilliann

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Jets have a finish section at games? Must be a few VIPs (like Avgard) from finland in town. Bring Vesalainan over to take it in when his season is done.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Constantly playing a game where he utilizes his size, essentially bullying smaller players out of his way. Just needs some extra power on his 1st strides so he can do it constantly, adding it to his toolkit to stay.

Been one of the better players today.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Constantly playing a game where he utilizes his size, essentially bullying smaller players out of his way. Just needs some extra power on his 1st strides so he can do it constantly, adding it to his toolkit to stay.

Been one of the better players today.
Sounds like he'll be a nice addition to our playoff run next season :popcorn:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not pleased with that, not at all. Great player, wrong team. Vesalainen makes me just a little bit nervous about facing Kärpät in finals. Without him they had not qualified for the finals, that's for sure.

Coach for Team Finland is former Kärpät coach, so Vesalainen has pretty good chances to make it into WHC. I mean, look at those Team Finland rosters with Kukkonen and Pyörälä and other Kärpät guys having eternally reserved roster slots.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Should have a really good shot at claiming The Alexei Zhamnov Trophy from the HF Jets Awards this year. Heck of a season he is putting together.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
to the bolded, if you think the quality of players in Liiga is inferior to that in the AHL you clearly don't know much about hockey outside of north america. Top end quality is much higher in Liiga and the game in general is much more "mature", for lack of a better word, more tactical is probably closest to what I mean here. It's not a bad place to develop for Vesalainen or any other prospect by any means.

Yeah younger Liiga prospects score at a much higher rate when the move to the AHL.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Wow Chevy knows how to draft poised players man...

* Vesalainen bringing his team to the Liiga final(GWG), 2nd in Liiga U20 Goals all-tims(4th in U20 Points all-time as well)

* Samberg pushing his team to winning the NCAA Championship on the back end, seemingly one of the best USA defensively minded defenders at the WJC U20

* Niku, Top 10 in scoring amongst Liiga Defensmen as a 20 year old, youngest AHL Defensmen of the year ever.

* Appleton, AHL Rookie of the Year...

If Vesalainen and Niku comes as advertised this team is gonna be the Golden State Warriors of Hockey(just gotta pick John Tavares in the offseason:laugh:). But for real, imagine a another potential 30 Goal and 60pt Winger as well as a 45-50pt LD on the roster we already have.

Anyways I hope Karpat can finish things off and defeat Tappara so Vesalainen can get more merit.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don't think he's eligible.

If they sign him he would be, but I think he won’t have the stamina to jump on another bandwagon after going finals deep into the Liiga playoffs. He should get signed in the summer.

Though Vesalainen won’t play with the Moose this season it would be a cake topper as a Jets fan to see that, having all of Niku, Appleton, Petan, Lemiuex and Vesalainen would be a killer roster going into the AHL playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad