Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If they sign him he would be, but I think he won’t have the stamina to jump on another bandwagon after going finals deep into the Liiga playoffs. He should get signed in the summer.

Though Vesalainen won’t play with the Moose this season it would be a cake topper as a Jets fan to see that, having all of Niku, Appleton, Petan, Lemiuex and Vesalainen would be a killer roster going into the AHL playoffs.
This kid plays a pro game already. He will have a great start with Moose next year and get a recall imo.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
He's unlikely to admit it, but I'm sure that's incredibly gratifying. Egg on the faces of the HIFK staff who told him that.
True. But of course one could think that it was HIFK that gave KV the last push to really give all he has for his development. But I think someone said it here too, that HIFK has shown this kinda misjudgements before, so the shame is on them.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It's amazing the Jets are looking like they will have 4 Finns on the team in the next couple years. Especially considering they were all drafted in the past few years (besiders Armia who they traded for), and that the Jets didn't even draft any Euros at all for like the first 2 or 3 drafts they did.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Holy crap - when we have Laine, Vesa, Niku & Armia all playing for us, can you imagine the following we'll have in Finland

Don't worry. Half the country already more or less follows the Jets since there is noway to evade Laine related headlines and topics around here. :D

But yeah, having all these guys (if the team can keep'em) should make the Jets the new Wilds and turn around even more eye pairs. The best thing about it all is that all of these guys are looking or are projected to be looking pretty damn good.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
No points so far and game is at the dying minutes. Hasn't been good today unfortunately. Too many giveaways. Nevertheless, great experience getting to play in the playoff finals and still plenty of games left. Maybe he scores at the last minute. ;)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
More Finnish...

Yes...

PalatableSparseFrigatebird-max-1mb.gif

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Tbh I hope we trade him... Don’t get me wrong he looks real talented but he isn’t gonna see the light of day on this team(he’s projected to be a LW’er and Connor/Ehlers are locks for the Top 6 there, even if you boost him over to RW Wheeler/Laine are there(dear god I hope this doesn’t happen but maybe Wheeler retires soon and even than Roslovic is probably higher in the lineup be our future Top 6 RW). If he was to crack the Top 6 it would take atleast 4 years and there’s a huge unlikely chance of that.

This kid is a bonafied Top 10 Prospect League wide and it sucks I’m saying this about such a talented kid but the value we can get out of trading him is likely much higher than if we keep him and turn him into a Armia 2.0 when he can be a Connor/Ehlers level player. Best case scenario would be someone on the Left Wing moving to 2C(meaning him, Ehlers or Connor, which is extremely unlikely).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Tbh I hope we trade him... Don’t get me wrong he looks real talented but he isn’t gonna see the light of day on this team(he’s projected to be a LW’er and Connor/Ehlers are locks for the Top 6 there, even if you boost him over to RW Wheeler/Laine are there(dear god I hope this doesn’t happen but maybe Wheeler retires soon and even than Roslovic is probably higher in the lineup be our future Top 6 RW). If he was to crack the Top 6 it would take atleast 4 years and there’s a huge unlikely chance of that.

This kid is a bonafied Top 10 Prospect League wide and it sucks I’m saying this about such a talented kid but the value we can get out of trading him is likely much higher than if we keep him and turn him into a Armia 2.0 when he can be a Connor/Ehlers level player. Best case scenario would be someone on the Left Wing moving to 2C(meaning him, Ehlers or Connor, which is extremely unlikely).
That would be a very hasty move in my opinion. He is big, has a great shot and is a pretty darn good skater for his size. He seems a bit similar to a young Wheeler after all. Those kind of players aren’t really that easy to find, so I think it would be still better to give him some real chances in the lineup and see how well he will do in the next two or three years. There will be anyway for sure some injuries for even some of the top players, so he would get these chances probably quite naturally. And how can you say at this moment that he couldn’t become even a better player than Connor, Roslo or Ehlers? They all are very good, but they lack the size and strength and the NHL hockey is still a game for big boys, even how much more skating has been emphasized during the few last years.

I don’t for sure claim that Vesalainen will become better than all of them, but I can still see a chance for even that happening. And of course Roslo might even still become a center, which could make it easier for Vesalainen to fit in. As I don’t see it impossible for him or some other wingers playing their off wing.

I just don’t really see the point in trading him at least soon. If he would be traded, maybe it could happen in three years. But right now it could be a very hasty move that the Jets could very much regret in the future.

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
That would be a very hasty move in my opinion. He is big, has a great shot and is a pretty darn good skater for his size. He seems a bit similar to a young Wheeler after all. Those kind of players aren’t really that easy to find, so I think it would be still better to give him some real chances in the lineup and see how well he will do in the next two or three years. There will be anyway for sure some injuries for even some of the top players, so he would get these chances probably quite naturally. And how can you say at this moment that he couldn’t become even a better player than Connor, Roslo or Ehlers? They all are very good, but they lack the size and strength and the NHL hockey is still a game for big boys, even how much more skating has been emphasized during the few last years.

I don’t for sure claim that Vesalainen will become better than all of them, but I can still see a chance for even that happening. And of course Roslo might even still become a center, which could make it easier for Vesalainen to fit in. As I don’t see it impossible for him or some other wingers playing their off wing.

I just don’t really see the point in trading him at least soon. If he would be traded, maybe it could happen in three years. But right now it could be a very hasty move that the Jets could very much regret in the future.

Also for many reasons it’s sometimes required to trade the better player. So even if Vesalainen does not become better he might not fetch a piece the Jets would want, or his contract may ne more favourable forcing some other player to be traded.

Obviously if a great option presents itself it might make sense to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino