Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
With Laine, Connor and Ehlers all having 103 combined goals, I’m up in arms with our potential to win the Cup this year but with all of them still developing I don’t see how we aren’t the highest potential team in the league(for the next 10 years) and then you rembwr you have Vesalainen who looks like another Elite Goalscorer...

I wonder if he fits in our lineup at RW or LW when he comes in though.

It's crazy how well they did selecting their Finns for this organization. All seem like studs so they should just keep getting more Finns in the upcoming drafts I guess.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t follow prospects much, sonwhat is the likelihood that Veselainen makes it to the NHL next season?

I'm going to guess. Nine games for Vesalainen during the regular season and then full season in Magnitoba. If injuries happen during next year's playoffs they will call him up and use a year of his rookie contract as it's all or nothing when going for the Stanley Cup.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if Vesalainen makes the jump straight to the Jets next season. He has the size and strength, and is demonstrating the skill and productivity.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I'm starting to wonder if Vesalainen makes the jump straight to the Jets next season. He has the size and strength, and is demonstrating the skill and productivity.
He might be ready but will he beat all the other Jets forwards for a spot? It's pretty crowded.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He might be ready but will he beat all the other Jets forwards for a spot? It's pretty crowded.
If you move Armia saves cap room if he is as good as it seems. I'd say Tanev but league minimum not much savings.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
T.R.A.D.E It's so great to have the options the Jets now have. It always was a goal for Cheveldayoff and one he has achieved.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Good to see someone else view Perreault as the logical player to perhaps be moved of the forward group. It isn't that MP isn't liked or isn't good but realistically there are replacements and having roster and cap flexibility is such a positive.

As I have maintained, a #2C is more important and more impactful to the Jets than a LW like MP.

Reactions: boydkc

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't know if Ves replaces anyone in the line-up but it gives you that option if he is ready. Armia/Copp asks for 2.75-3mil thanks for your services but we need that cap space for Connor/Mo/Wheeler

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I hope he makes it. I really like him and think he'll turn out to be one of the better offensive guys from his draft.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There really shouldn't be any rush with the kid. Give him one year in the AHL to acclimatize himself to North America. It also allows his ELC to slide a year giving the Jets 3 seasons of him cost controlled from age 20 to 23 during a period where the Jets will be even tighter against the cap.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't think so. He spends the next season tuning his 5 on 5 game at the Moose. PP production is good but considering the way the Jets are structured you really need to make an impact at 5 on 5 to break into the lineup.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Probably would have a couple of years ago. Now he has to push out a pretty good player.

But if Chevy is sufficiently impressed he could move Perreault this off-season. I think MP's departure either this year or next is just about inevitable. I'd be surprised though. Give him a year with the Moose to be sure he is really ready. Then make the move next off-season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you move Armia saves cap room if he is as good as it seems. I'd say Tanev but league minimum not much savings.

Not much savings from moving Armia either. They will need to move a more expensive forward than Armia. If they move Armia they still have to move the other, more expensive guy.

When I see suggestions to move Armia I have to wonder what people think he is going to get paid?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not much savings from moving Armia either. They will need to move a more expensive forward than Armia. If they move Armia they still have to move the other, more expensive guy.

When I see suggestions to move Armia I have to wonder what people think he is going to get paid?
7m over 4 years?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know if Ves replaces anyone in the line-up but it gives you that option if he is ready. Armia/Copp asks for 2.75-3mil thanks for your services but we need that cap space for Connor/Mo/Wheeler

Doesn't matter what they ask for. Neither is in that strong a bargaining position. Copp isn't even up for renewal this year.

Both of them are exactly the kind of high value/low cost players you have to keep around.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
There will inevitably be injuries. Vesa, Appleton, Petan can compete for first fill in on top 9 and Lemieux first fill in for Copp/Lowry/Tanev line

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Karpat loses 4-1, no points for Vesalainen. 7 shots, but I think that's including missed and/or blocked shots? Series tied 2-2.

Reactions: 16wpg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
We don't need need to trade Perreault this off season. But if he plays well this post season it may be better to trade him a year early than to try a year late...

Reactions: boydkc

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Not surprised that there was little talk after yesterday's game as the boards tend to flame only when there's points at the table. Anyway, watched the game up until there was around 10 minutes left in the clock and this could have been the best performance I've seen of him so far. Vesalainen was everywhere and creating something nearly every time he was on the ice. He set up a team mate for an empty net tap in (Leskinen I think) during one of the powerplays who just missed the puck entirely. Also had some good looks for himself but no luck this time.

Really impressed the way he can move on the ice (overall skating ability), fast for his age/size, has smooth hands, very good at covering the puck and has no trouble working along the boards. Displays a physical edge - a mean streak even - in the game and not at all afraid of using his big frame against grown ups which is not that common for a 18 year old. Has bit of Laine and bit of Rantanen in the game. Also he seems excellent at the right wall on the powerplay (same spot Wheelers plays). Consistently moving and looking for open lanes while showing patience with the puck. Really dangerous player due to the ability to rip the puck in the net even from a distance if there's no better plays to be made.

Vesalainen has been absolutely terrific in the playoffs, better than I even expected. There are no easy games yet he's looked like one of the best players game in game out. Been having a real close eye on him for the past weeks and there are no glaring weaknesses in the game. Perhaps sometimes trying to over do things like trying to dangle three guys and break trough traffic when there's no space. This young man should be NHL ready come 18-19, but whether there's space on the lineup is another story. Had Tolvanen ahead of him earlier but right now seems like a coin toss. Cannot emphasize this is enough, but what a robbery @ draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad