Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Despite his impressive FEL season he doesn't seem to be making waves in the NA (compared to f.ex. Tolvanen), so I don't think his value is that high yet. Trading him doesn't make sense.

Also, there is no way to know how steep the performance drop of Little and Wheeler will be (and when it comes). 2 years ago Jussi Jokinen was a solid 60-point top six forward; now he is fighting for his job in the NHL.

Reactions: Ippenator

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Impressive season and very good first rounds on Liiga playoffs. Probably without him Kärpät never went to finals. Against Tappara he couldn't do too much but that was maybe expected. He played well, but obviously he is not Laine (not that anyone thought so).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The only way I see a kid like K-Ves traded is for his defensive equivalent so think a kid like Girard last season. Even then I doubt it happens. He appears to be very talented and is the key is he cost controlled (ELC.). That is going to become a very real need for Winnipeg as soon as next season but for sure by 2019-20.

Never say never but the price would be steep for a cost controlled A level prospect.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The only way I see a kid like K-Ves traded is for his defensive equivalent so think a kid like Girard last season. Even then I doubt it happens. He appears to be very talented and is the key is he cost controlled (ELC.). That is going to become a very real need for Winnipeg as soon as next season but for sure by 2019-20.

Never say never but the price would be steep for a cost controlled A level prospect.
Was just coming here to say this.

Good young players on ELC's are going to be huge for this franchise going forward. We're going to be battling with the cap for a long time coming, guys who can produce on an ELC provide major value.

Reactions: LAINEC and ps241

Mara

May 10, 2011
Despite his impressive FEL season he doesn't seem to be making waves in the NA.

Probably because it was not impressive enough to be considered NHL ready. Had a good start at the playoffs but pretty much disappeared from the picture in the finals. Not strong enough to influence the flow of the game by himself. A promising player but still a lot of work to do.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trading MP's sweetheart contract would be a mistake
I think that if the Jets win another round with Roslovic / Copp in for Perreault, then trading Perreault makes the most sense. They need to fill their bottom 2 lines with talented players on their ELCs, or cheap 2nd contracts. They just won't be able to afford keeping all three of Little, Wheeler and Perreault after they re-sign Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Lowry, etc. If trading Perreault lets you keep Wheeler, then I think you have to do that. If trading Myers allows you to keep Trouba, you do that too.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think that if the Jets win another round with Roslovic / Copp in for Perreault, then trading Perreault makes the most sense. They need to fill their bottom 2 lines with talented players on their ELCs, or cheap 2nd contracts. They just won't be able to afford keeping all three of Little, Wheeler and Perreault after they re-sign Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Lowry, etc. If trading Perreault lets you keep Wheeler, then I think you have to do that. If trading Myers allows you to keep Trouba, you do that too.

I am opposed to making decisions using such small sample sizes

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
they're re-signing trouba. I must have missed overhardt say him and chevy were close.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Tbh I hope we trade him... Don’t get me wrong he looks real talented but he isn’t gonna see the light of day on this team(he’s projected to be a LW’er and Connor/Ehlers are locks for the Top 6 there, even if you boost him over to RW Wheeler/Laine are there(dear god I hope this doesn’t happen but maybe Wheeler retires soon and even than Roslovic is probably higher in the lineup be our future Top 6 RW). If he was to crack the Top 6 it would take atleast 4 years and there’s a huge unlikely chance of that.

This kid is a bonafied Top 10 Prospect League wide and it sucks I’m saying this about such a talented kid but the value we can get out of trading him is likely much higher than if we keep him and turn him into a Armia 2.0 when he can be a Connor/Ehlers level player. Best case scenario would be someone on the Left Wing moving to 2C(meaning him, Ehlers or Connor, which is extremely unlikely).

Who and or what are we trading him for? Maybe trade him after his ELC is up and we can't afford him, but selling him for some magic beans and hoping those turn into just as good of prospect as he is is ridiculous. Or was this just some precursor to your horrible trade proposal for Doughty?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Trading MP's sweetheart contract would be a mistake
Mason, Myers, Kulikov, Perrault, and to a lesser extent Little will all need to be considered to move for CAP reasons. Wheeler and Buff should also be considered based on value of the CAP space and the return they'd be able to fetch but it's all kind of predicated on what happens with Trouba and his desire to stay or go.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Who and or what are we trading him for? Maybe trade him after his ELC is up and we can't afford him, but selling him for some magic beans and hoping those turn into just as good of prospect as he is is ridiculous. Or was this just some precursor to your horrible trade proposal for Doughty?

It has nothing to do with any proposed trade(I was just trying to see the value between Doughty and Trouba), I’m simply stating what I believe. I don’t think the best thing for us is to keep Vesalainen and I don’t think it’s the best for him either(having a potentially Elite Winger likely not crack the Top 6 within his first 5 season)...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It has nothing to do with any proposed trade(I was just trying to see the value between Doughty and Trouba), I’m simply stating what I believe. I don’t think the best thing for us is to keep Vesalainen and I don’t think it’s the best for him either(having a potentially Elite Winger likely not crack the Top 6 within his first 5 season)...
It sucks for him but unless we are offered a great deal for him I don't see how it hurts the team even if he is wasted. How does that make the Jets a weaker team? Yes trading him for a centre prospect or a great d prospect makes the team stronger but if it's not on the table it's not on the table.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It sucks for him but unless we are offered a great deal for him I don't see how it hurts the team even if he is wasted. How does that make the Jets a weaker team? Yes trading him for a centre prospect or a great d prospect makes the team stronger but if it's not on the table it's not on the table.

Like I said it doesn’t hurt us but his talent as a prospect could be moved for a necessary position and find a more effective player for this team.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

Who cares if he's not in the top 6? Wouldn't that just mean our top 9 is really good? or top 12? I don't think you move a player, especially a young player who hasn't even begun his North American career yet, because he might not be in the top six. You need players pushing the other players for jobs.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
That's you just assuming he wont. Not saying he will, but he could very well play himself into the top 6. A lot can happen in 5 years. The Jets will do what's best for them, not Vesalainen.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Agreed, you do what is best for your team. Balance the short and longer term aspects.

What moves ( and the subsequent moves they allow ) make you better overall?

Jets have options, they are not locked in or pre determined to follow some script.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
That's you just assuming he wont. Not saying he will, but he could very well play himself into the top 6. A lot can happen in 5 years. The Jets will do what's best for them, not Vesalainen.

Yes, he could. Especially at times. Every player goes through some slumps and then you must have options to shake things up a bit. It's hard to juggle the top lines if your bottom six is full of grinders with stone hands.

Added to that, Vesalainen is not a sniper like Tolvanen (who at this point gets absolutely wasted unless he is in a top six role or at least 3rd line + heavy PP time). Ves can contribute in the bottom six and I think in time he will be able to be drive his own line. It's likely at least 3-4 years away, but I think he has the size, skill and smarts for it.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Amen. No way you move a guy because your top six looks to be solidified for the time being. You need three scoring lines these days. And injuries are guaranteed. And Ves will be nice and cheap during our cup window years. Suggesting trading this guy is no bueno. He probably ends up being a better scorer than most of our bottom six players we currently have.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

I think you're really underestimating how much the makeup of a team can change in 5 years.

Reactions: Ippenator

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That would be a very hasty move in my opinion. He is big, has a great shot and is a pretty darn good skater for his size. He seems a bit similar to a young Wheeler after all. Those kind of players aren’t really that easy to find, so I think it would be still better to give him some real chances in the lineup and see how well he will do in the next two or three years. There will be anyway for sure some injuries for even some of the top players, so he would get these chances probably quite naturally. And how can you say at this moment that he couldn’t become even a better player than Connor, Roslo or Ehlers? They all are very good, but they lack the size and strength and the NHL hockey is still a game for big boys, even how much more skating has been emphasized during the few last years.

I don’t for sure claim that Vesalainen will become better than all of them, but I can still see a chance for even that happening. And of course Roslo might even still become a center, which could make it easier for Vesalainen to fit in. As I don’t see it impossible for him or some other wingers playing their off wing.

I just don’t really see the point in trading him at least soon. If he would be traded, maybe it could happen in three years. But right now it could be a very hasty move that the Jets could very much regret in the future.

Ehlers can play RW as well and Wheeler is getting up there in age. We could be running this as a top 6 in 3 seasons:

Connor - Scheifele - Laine

Vesalainen - Roslovic - Ehlers

There are plenty of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->