Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If Vegas wins I'm just gonna chalk it up as destiny and start looking forward to next year.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm not even mad at this point, just annoyed.

I think I'd have way more respect for what they're doing if the draft rules didn't change drastically. I just see them as a team with no bad players.

I know it's been said before but I dont begrudge them the draft rules. For half a billion dollars(1/30 of which went to the Preds, btw) they deserve better than the 98 Preds.

Hats off to Gallant. He took a bunch of good but not great players who had no experience playing together and got them to gel as a group right away. Hell they were winning when they had a 4th string goalie for Gods sake... this is no fluke and no unfair advantage.

Edit... how crazy will it be, though, if the Subban that brings the Cup to Montreal is Malcolm, not PK

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'm not even mad at this point, just annoyed.

I think I'd have way more respect for what they're doing if the draft rules didn't change drastically. I just see them as a team with no bad players.

But do you think that roster is THAT good? To be doing what they are doing???

I always ask this question- if you could snap your fingers for next season and trade rosters with Vegas- we would have their roster and it would be our team- would you do it??

Not a chance for me...

Reactions: PredsV82

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well I hate being right but I did say that I thought Vegas would win this series and it looks like they might with just one game away from it. They just looked like the more dominating and better team in this series.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One more thought- and this has been going through my head throughout this series-

This Jets/Knights series should be a SECOND round series. If the system was as it should be, we would have played San Jose and likely advanced, while the Jets/Knights would be playing each other.

Now, maybe the Knights would have beaten us in the WCF anyway, but still.

Pretty dang big advantage for Vegas having a fairly easy 2nd round win while their WCF opponent had to play a knockdown, drag out 7 game series. The Preds earned the right to get that advantage but didn't get it because of the stupidest playoff format in sports.

I know there is no sense crying about it anymore, the format is what it is and isn't changing. And we didn't get it done- period.

But it still ticks me the heck off.......

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I want to hate Vegas but I just can't. Yeah I'm annoyed that they were pretty much gifted this team, but the players just work so damn hard and never quit.

But I'll probably be cheering for whichever team comes out of the East for the final.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
They were gifted bunch of shit and spare parts. Stop with that gifted team narrative, it isn't factual.
Nobody would have taken their team and likely won't take their team instead of their own going forward.

Only semi-star was M.A Fleury and even he has a history of faltering in the playoffs.
They're obviously playing with a chip on their shoulder and shouldn't be perennial contenders just because how everyone had a career year on their team. Obviously, that cannot happen every year for them.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
They weren't gifted anything, before the season everybody was saying that they'd compete for the #1 overall in the draft.

Vegas, take it all the way. This story needs a beautiful ending. I for one am loving this hard-working, no superstars attitude.

Reactions: Tex76

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tend to agree they are just a group of guys who caught fire and had career years under a really good coach. The trick for them is figuring out which guys to keep long term that will stay productive and which ones just had one of those years.

Sure no one expected them to be this good, but let's not act like they got the same level of players normal expansion teams have gotten in the past. I think most of us didn't really grasp just how much of a difference it would make.

That said I also think they got fairly lucky with the Pacific in general being much weaker than it has been which allowed them to gain some steam and keep rolling. We know as well as anyone that once a team gets that going they can go a long way.

I'm more interested to see what next year looks like for them and if ends up being of a normal year from recent expansion teams.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
They wont look anything like recent expansion teams. They have a roster full of players that by definition all could play on other teams in the league. They will be hard pressed to repeat what they did this year but I would lay good money that they will be a playoff team again

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
When you think it about, Florida's stupidity gave Vegas two top line players and a great coach. You think they wouldn't protect Smith and Marchessault over like Pysyk or Petrovic if they could do it again? And there is definitely some luck there. Karlsson shot over 23% this year. It would be absolutely stunning if he came close to that again.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Damn. Caps doing their best to have done to them what they did to Cbus in round 1.

Of course we did the same with the Ducks in 16 and still won in 7... so there is precedent either way, but.. come on...

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They wont look anything like recent expansion teams. They have a roster full of players that by definition all could play on other teams in the league. They will be hard pressed to repeat what they did this year but I would lay good money that they will be a playoff team again
Dont they have a ton of ufa's though? Something like 20+?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Dont they have a ton of ufa's though? Something like 20+?

They have a bunch of ufa but also a lot of cap space. I'm guessing quite a few will choose to stay

Edit... I miss capgeek so much... nhlnumbers is harder to read but it looks like they dont have as many Ufa as you'd think... 5 or 6 I believe

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They have a bunch of ufa but also a lot of cap space. I'm guessing quite a few will choose to stay

Edit... I miss capgeek so much... nhlnumbers is harder to read but it looks like they dont have as many Ufa as you'd think... 5 or 6 I believe
Pretty positive it's more than that

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm seeing Neal, Grabovski, Perron, Reaves, Sbisa and Stoner as UFAs as well as like 5 players in the minors, which pretty much every team has. Karlsson, Nosek, Carrier, Miller and Theodore are RFAs.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Have you tried CapFriendly? It's awesome. I use it a lot. Really clean look and easy to use

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Have you tried CapFriendly? It's awesome. I use it a lot. Really clean look and easy to use

Thanks. Capfriendly lists 11UFA for Vegas but some of them aren't even on the roster and you gotta think they let Grabovski go since he hasn't played in forever. So actually about 7 that are roster players. So yeah, if they lose all of those guys it will be tough but I'm guessing most will stay and if not some other quality free agents will want to go there

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I disagree with the spare parts narrative. I told all my friends they would make the playoffs. I didn't think they would be a top seed, but I didn't expect 40 goal scorers to emerge. Regarldess, you knew going in that they had a star winger, star goalie, and an excellent defense.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I thought their defense was atrocious with the way they chose not to take guys like Dumba, Vatanen. Still on paper that defense doesn't impress me. No legit top-4 guys before this season.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I thought their defense was atrocious with the way they chose not to take guys like Dumba, Vatanen. Still on paper that defense doesn't impress me. No legit top-4 guys before this season.

Anaheim and Minnesota both made trades with them to ensure that Dumba and Vatanen wouldn't get picked by Vegas. That's how they got Haula, Tuch and Theodore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad