Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota and Columbus- for a good part of the season they may have been the two best teams in the league- and now they are a combined 0-6 in the playoffs.

Crazy stuff- who woulda thunk it???

Actually didn't they both have ridiculous double digit win streaks at one point during the season and then were pretty much no better or worse than the other lower seeds the rest of the season? That's how it seemed to me although I didn't pay that close attention I'll admit

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Actually didn't they both have ridiculous double digit win streaks at one point during the season and then were pretty much no better or worse than the other lower seeds the rest of the season? That's how it seemed to me although I didn't pay that close attention I'll admit
Can't speak for Minnesota, but we were more or less above-average outside of The Streak until April came along.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Take away the Wild's 12 game win streak and they were still 37-25-8. Blue Jackets minus 15 game streak still 35-24-8

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Take away the Wild's 12 game win streak and they were still 37-25-8. Blue Jackets minus 15 game streak still 35-24-8

Which are a 96 and 95 point pace, respectively, proving my point pretty much perfectly. Thanks for the legwork on looking up the records

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I did the math on the point pace myself before posting and noticed that both still outpaced the Preds despite subtracting 12 and 15 wins. Which actually impressed me a good deal, I expected worse. Still, I'm with drw, very surprised that the Wild are down 3-0. Not super surprised about the Jackets, but I did think they would win 1 of the first 3, especially with no Letang.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I did the math on the point pace myself before posting and noticed that both still outpaced the Preds despite subtracting 12 and 15 wins. Which actually impressed me a good deal, I expected worse. Still, I'm with drw, very surprised that the Wild are down 3-0. Not super surprised about the Jackets, but I did think they would win 1 of the first 3, especially with no Letang.

Well the Preds are the lowest seed of the entire 16 team bracket, but I'll agree I wasn't expecting the Blues to be good enough to be up 3-0, nor would I have expected Pittsburgh to be up 3-0 with Fleury in net. My point was simply that their singular win streaks led to them getting a higher seeding than their average talent level warranted, and it's showing in their playoff results

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
St. Louis is up because of their goalie, as a team Minnesota has been the better team. It's literally been almost like rope-a-dope. Allen just takes the shots and then they knock them out with one punch.

Columbus at least tonight beat themselves.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Sharks shutout again- and have only 39 combined shots in the last 2 losses.

Two thoughts:

Edmonton is a better team than they are being given credit for...

For whatever reason the Sharks are nowhere near the team they were last year in the playoffs.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Sharks shutout again- and have only 39 combined shots in the last 2 losses.

Two thoughts:

Edmonton is a better team than they are being given credit for...

For whatever reason the Sharks are nowhere near the team they were last year in the playoffs.

The Sharks looked great early in the year, but they've been bad for a good long stretch now, I guess maybe their older veterans kind of broke down from the long postseason run as the season went along? I can't explain it, but I do know Joe Thornton hasn't been nearly as dominant this season as he was last year. Interesting postseason so far though. Oilers outplaying the Sharks. Leafs giving the Caps all they can handle. St. Louis killing Minnesota. Nashville up 2-0 after a DOMINANT game 2 in Chicago. Pretty wild.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Ahhh yes, the Wild and the Jackets getting dominated. BJ's already talking about the #1C problem they have.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ahhh yes, the Wild and the Jackets getting dominated. BJ's already talking about the #1C problem they have.
That's the go-to excuse because it's obvious low-hanging fruit that doesn't involve condemning Tortorella. There's a few too many fans up here who still want to Punish The Players For Having The Gall To Not Win.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's the go-to excuse because it's obvious low-hanging fruit that doesn't involve condemning Tortorella. There's a few too many fans up here who still want to Punish The Players For Having The Gall To Not Win.

Yall didn't lose that game last night because of poor coaching though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dubinsky also scored the game-tying goal immediately after that PPG against.

I'd prefer one without the other as well, but we got both and we have to acknowledge both. :)

Still a stupid play that cost you a goal. Stupid doesn't change just because you scored a goal later. Obviously his make up goal didn't do you much good.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Anybody still want to play Anaheim instead of Chicago in the first round? Glad Anaheim is getting it's frustration out on another team rather than us for not getting past the first round last year.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Anybody still want to play Anaheim instead of Chicago in the first round? Glad Anaheim is getting it's frustration out on another team rather than us for not getting past the first round last year.

Well and to beat them you've got to be able to get under their skin, if you can do that they start playing stupid. Don't get the feeling Calgary has those guys really.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Just heard on XM that Hartnell is apparently a healthy scratch tonight for Columbus. Didn't see that coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00