Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
4th or 5th, the team is not as good as last year and we were the 8th seed, and with other teams getting stronger I don't see us finishing in the top-3.

What other teams got stronger? Minnesota traded Scandella and Pominville for worse players. Chicago traded Panarin and Hjalmarsson and got back a worse defenseman, worse forward and a backup goalie.

St. Louis did get stronger but two of the three teams ahead of us got worse.

And I swear if I have to hear about how we got worse because we replaced 40 point player James Neal with 40 points in less time Scott Hartnell, I'm going to ****ing scream.

Losing Colin Wilson is no big loss either so don't try to bring that up.

And we don't know if Fisher has retired yet so don't try that one either.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I can tell you know the Admirals. Are any of the centers there ready for NHL?

kamenev is the closest thing. and i would be okay with giving him a shot. i could see him being a fisher type (later on in fishers career) ... #2-3 center.. he could always surprise me but from what i have seen (highlights), he is about as ready for NHL as it gets with another 1/2-1 year of seasoning. then gaudreau if you believe in late bloomers. i don't see him as much other than a 4th line filler who are easily replaceable. doesn't fill a niche like a Watson type.

i now hold the floor for someone much more knowledgeable than me on our prospects.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I can tell you know the Admirals. Are any of the centers there ready for the NHL?

Kamenev is close. Trenin has only a handful of games but looks fairly promises. Nashville guys have seen more of Ejdsell than we have and it sounded like he was pretty rough.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
these top 6 centers don't grow on trees. we don't suck and as a franchise have never really sucked other than when seth Jones fell in our lap (see johansen). the chances of one of these kids solving our problems is not very high. we are still in very good shape in every facet compared to the rest of the league.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
these top 6 centers don't grow on trees. we don't suck and as a franchise have never really sucked other than when seth Jones fell in our lap (see johansen). the chances of one of these kids solving our problems is not very high. we are still in very good shape in every facet compared to the rest of the league.

Yes, Poile has completely remade this team in just a few years. Really an incredible job.

Museula

Jul 21, 2016
Castle
Kamenev is close. Trenin has only a handful of games but looks fairly promises. Nashville guys have seen more of Ejdsell than we have and it sounded like he was pretty rough.

That sucks. I was hoping for Ejdsell playing soon for the Preds. At least try him with the Admirals. Maybe Ejdsell prefers europe but the ahl would be best in my mind.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
What other teams got stronger? Minnesota traded Scandella and Pominville for worse players. Chicago traded Panarin and Hjalmarsson and got back a worse defenseman, worse forward and a backup goalie.

St. Louis did get stronger but two of the three teams ahead of us got worse.

And I swear if I have to hear about how we got worse because we replaced 40 point player James Neal with 40 points in less time Scott Hartnell, I'm going to ****ing scream.

Losing Colin Wilson is no big loss either so don't try to bring that up.

And we don't know if Fisher has retired yet so don't try that one either.

I am gonna say it to you one more time my friend :). Losing Neal and replacing him with Hartnell IS a downgrade no matter how you slice it. Yes Chicago got worse and I don't think the Wild are going to be as good as last year. St. Louis, Dallas and Winnipeg got better.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I am gonna say it to you one more time my friend :). Losing Neal and replacing him with Hartnell IS a downgrade no matter how you slice it. Yes Chicago got worse and I don't think the Wild are going to be as good as last year. St. Louis, Dallas and Winnipeg got better.

Pretty much everything the last 3 years is in Hartnell's favor. The only difference is in the style they get their points.

I'm going to keep saying Neal was more name than actual production during his time with the Preds and isn't as hard to replace as some think.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Losing Neal does hurt, but Hartnell brings a style of player we haven't really had since we traded for Neal. Who knows exactly what will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked to see our PP be much more effective and Hartnell have just as many points as Neal would have.

They are a different style and a different game, what you lose in one area you gain in another.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Losing Neal does hurt, but Hartnell brings a style of player we haven't really had since we traded for Neal. Who knows exactly what will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked to see our PP be much more effective and Hartnell have just as many points as Neal would have.

They are a different style and a different game, what you lose in one area you gain in another.
The irony here is this. How many times since we traded Hornqvist for Neal did we find ourselves sitting around thinking "Damn I really like Neal but Hornqvist would sure be useful right now"? Plenty of times. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying the two are equal but if we were able to pick up Hartnell who turns into a Hornqvist-lite, that could be a big benefit and something we've needed for awhile now. In an ideal world, we don't regret losing Neal and you take his salary, throw it at Bonino and Hartnell, they stay healthy and productive, and 17 (is he going back to that number?) can give us that net front presence we've sorely lacked since trading Hornqvist.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
So it's been confirmed that Markov wont re-sign with Montreal. Pretty puzzling considering they have tons of cap space left, have no one else left to re-sign and could really use a guy like him on their blueline.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So it's been confirmed that Markov wont re-sign with Montreal. Pretty puzzling considering they have tons of cap space left, have no one else left to re-sign and could really use a guy like him on their blueline.

Montreal is slowly turning into Edmonton as far as how management is handling things.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017

If the Preds hadn't traded for Emelin, I think Markov would have been a perfect fit with Laviolette's style, and for the PP. He could have played about 15 minutes per game, and more in case of injuries.

The problem in MTL was that Markov was usually amazing during the season, playing 22+ minutes, but he was out of gas by the time the season ended/the playoffs started. So playing him on a 3rd pairing would be ideal for the team that signs him.

But it seems like Markov wants a last big paycheck, and I don't think it would be worth it for a 3rd pairing. Well, for one year maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad