OT: Around the NHL | Two Weeks Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Serious question: Was Vegas the worst looking finals team in recent memory, or did Washington simply play that well?

Because apart from Game 1, Vegas looked so disorganized, giving up tonnes of scoring chances, and basically didn't look like they were a serious threat to win any of the remaining games. It wasn't really a question of IF Washington would win, but just how many games it would take them.
They had a really tough road but pretty much got through it unscathed. I still have no idea how they beat the Jets like they did. I figured the Jets would be by far their toughest opponent. Built like Washington, but just flat-out better in every regard.

I think they (Vegas) were just opportunistic. They seemed to go through the first 3 rounds scoring in the first shift or 2 of a game, and would play the rest of the game at least even, and Fleury would make the big saves.

To Washington's credit, they perfected obstruction pretty much all playoffs long. Sure in the 1st game or 2 of their series', they'd get called for it. But as their series' went along, the refs would just put the whistle away. It's almost a repeat of what those Wings' teams would get away with back in 08' and 09'.

busta9

Dec 28, 2007
Washington earned it. I don't even feel bad. Pens had their opportunities but there was zero secondary scoring. It looks like a Missed opportunity for sure, but I don't know, I feel happy for Ovechkin. It's criminal for a player of his calibre to not win a cup even though it's happened in the past and part of me at times hoped it would. Congrats ovi, congrats caps and fans. See ya next year!

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I mean, I really don't want to sound like "that guy" and not give the Caps credit for their strong play, but to me Vegas just looked awful this series. Like, they legitimately looked how you'd expect an expansion team to look versus an actual good team.

It also seemed like that perfect structure you saw versus LA, San Jose, and Winnipeg completely deserted them this round. So what we were left with was an average team going up against a good team.
This was the weirdest SCP I can remember. I would watch Vegas win and just shake my head. They were never "wow" impressive. It just seemed like the Kings were total bums, the Sharks couldn't solve Fleury, and the Helle finally ran out of gas for the Jets. The Caps are a good team that cheap shotted and trapped their way to the cup. Is what it is, I suppose.

Reactions: canadianguy77

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I mean, I really don't want to sound like "that guy" and not give the Caps credit for their strong play, but to me Vegas just looked awful this series. Like, they legitimately looked how you'd expect an expansion team to look versus an actual good team.

It also seemed like that perfect structure you saw versus LA, San Jose, and Winnipeg completely deserted them this round. So what we were left with was an average team going up against a good team.

I just do not want to hear about the West until they put forth a formidable opponent. Idk what this board thought but i personally thought we would steamroll the Sharks in 2016 and we did. The Nashville series was a little more nerveracking but halfway through we knew Rinne wouldnt be able to stop anything on the road. The capitals were a good team and did enough to win. Credit to them. But the West is a joke only further highlighted by an expansion team running through the first three rounds virtually unscathed only to drop four straight and lose in 5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This was the weirdest SCP I can remember. I would watch Vegas win and just shake my head. They were never "wow" impressive. It just seemed like the Kings were total bums, the Sharks couldn't solve Fleury, and the Helle finally ran out of gas for the Jets. The Caps are a good team that cheap shotted and trapped their way to the cup. Is what it is, I suppose.

I mean, credit to Washington. I legitimately thought they played outstanding hockey (Wilson's antics notwithstanding) most of these playoffs. Well structured, good team defense, and clutch scoring from their depth guys. Plus Holtby was a beast. So it's less about them and more about the fact Vegas just looked really, really average. I don't recall a finalist in recent memory who looked as bad as Vegas did.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I mean, credit to Washington. I legitimately thought they played outstanding hockey (Wilson's antics notwithstanding) most of these playoffs. Well structured, good team defense, and clutch scoring from their depth guys. Plus Holtby was a beast. So it's less about them and more about the fact Vegas just looked really, really average. I don't recall a finalist in recent memory who looked as bad as Vegas did.

Sharks in 2016 was close. They won game 5 because of Jones. But there was never a doubt in my mind the Pens would win.

Reactions: Turin

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
I just do not want to hear about the West until they put forth a formidable opponent. Idk what this board thought but i personally thought we would steamroll the Sharks in 2016 and we did. The Nashville series was a little more nerveracking but halfway through we knew Rinne wouldnt be able to stop anything on the road. The capitals were a good team and did enough to win. Credit to them. But the West is a joke only further highlighted by an expansion team running through the first three rounds virtually unscathed only to drop four straight and lose in 5
Remember the “is Winnipeg the start of a new dynasty” threads? Ridiculous how overrated some of those Western teams were

Reactions: TorstenFrings

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The West needs to learn that it's okay to play younger guys even if they're not top-10 draft picks. By now that much has to be apparent. Stop giving out long contracts to 27-year-olds who only put up 20-30 points. Play the youth.

Reactions: SirBrad

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This was a carbon copy of 2016.

Timely goaltending and 3 or 4 guys playing way above their heads. They earned it and good for them.

Also. Make a save.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Ignore illpucks and that dude with the Ted Knight avatar. It will make you life easier.
It's not even on HF. The huge f'n deal the media has made about him not winning the cup over the years has made the casual watchers think he's the best in the game and this is the most incredible moment for the sport tonight.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Fleury made those owners a lot of money from this run. I'm not sure what it does to their draft this year, but he did make them a lot of money.

Look in the end I'm just glad Ryan Reaves scored that one goal that one time and deterred the living shit out of Tom Wilson. Tom Wilson didn't act like Tom Wilson at all after that fight they never had.

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
"HuskerTornado, post: 146679927, member: 70134"]It's not even on HF. The huge f'n deal the media has made about him not winning the cup over the years has made the casual watchers think he's the best in the game and this is the most incredible moment for the sport tonight.

Yeeesh. I don't know what to say. Dude finally makes it to one SCF and wins, despite having had numerous stacked teams in previous years, not making it anywhere, and now he's the Lebron of hockey? Even though he wasn't even the best player on his team this go-around? Lol. People are dumb.

He's basically the anti-Lebron of hockey.

Even Gretzky/Lemieux never achieved in hockey what Lebron James has in basketball in regards to putting the team on their back. And now Ovechkin is being put in the same company as Lebron James. Ridiculous. It really is out of this world stupidity/agendas

I think for a fair segment of the population, the internet has actually made them less intelligent. Something I didn't foresee in 1997, as a 20-year-old, first-year-student finally coming online in university. It really makes you wonder if internet for the masses was ever a good idea.

We're only talking about sports tonight...trivial, and at the end of the day, pretty harmless. But what about all of the other important parts of humanity that are being discussed online. Yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Thing is I knew they would win. I'm not mad at Ovi or their fans. It's Wilson and Oshie. I just hate the way they won, it was dirty and classless. Anytime these playoffs they surrendered a lead or went down a goal they started to goon it up. Knights up 1-0 in series and up in Game 2 and Wilson takes 6 steps to hit March late. Vegas should have really milked that and tried to get him suspended. Wilson breaking ZARs jaw. League not having the balls to handle Wilson. Caps deserve it, they just took the dirty route and they didn't even have to.

Reactions: turtle27

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I give Ovi credit for sticking with that trash organization in that stupid city this long. That is worth a CS, right?

Well he did lock himself in 10 years ago. However, if he was like an NBA player I’m sure he would have orchestrated a trade to the Penguins by now.

Reactions: EightyOne

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Thing is I knew they would win. I'm not mad at Ovi or their fans. It's Wilson and Oshie. I just hate the way they won, it was dirty and classless. Anytime these playoffs they surrendered a lead or went down a goal they started to goon it up. Knights up 1-0 in series and up in Game 2 and Wilson takes 6 steps to hit March late. Vegas should have really milked that and tried to get him suspended. Wilson breaking ZARs jaw. League not having the balls to handle Wilson. Caps deserve it, they just took the dirty route and they didn't even have to.
They won fair and square. Wilson and Oshie, idiots though they are, do not negate how this Caps team beat everyone they faced. They turned it around in Columbus and then proceeded to outplay every team thereafter. Not sure how this is lessened because Wilson and Oshie display a callous disregard for their fellow players safety and health. Pens past successes aren’t diminished because Cooke was on the roster for some of them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People that thought the Caps fans were insufferable before, it's going to be even worse now.

The biggest joke is that the Caps gooned their way to the cup, if we had a Tom Wilson on our team, we'd get fined and suspended heavily for it. But some how, any other team that has morons like that, seem to skate away with it.

Such trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad