OT: Around the NHL | Two Weeks Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ironically, the Caps are winning because of one of the same reasons the Pens won back to back: They have multiple elite players and they're finally producing like elite players.
They've also been VERY fortunate and have taken advantage of the opportunities they were given. There's been a lot of luck also and it seems as though they got the bounces and breaks. To their credit though they made the most of it. Vegas has been snake bit and let the Caps off the ropes several times. But in order to win a cup you generally need a lot to go your way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fleury has regressed, no doubt about it. Sorry if I overstated the goals go in on "anyone". I can be pretty critical on fleury but it's little things, last game. He was just a little not square on the first goal the shot was going top far corner, it's not like it was aimed at his chest it was a well placed shot, he fought it off but since he wasn't square to the shooter it trickled farside. Grade A scoring chance, he stops it but because of his mistake the attacker crashing the net with defender at his back gets an easy goal. Definitely a mistake by fleury.

However let's use this vid for reference:

Goal 4 against, very similar. I was not happy with Murray because Ovechkin is a right handed shot below the dot, there is literally no reason in the world to be that far out of your net you can't argue he's being aggressive and taking the shot away, he just lost his net completely. That is a much much bigger mistake then not being 100% square to the shooter.
Now the similarity is that the defense did him no favors at all. If you look closely Sheehan is trying to get his stick in the way, it looks like Ovie is tryin to pass, letang is actually in a decent spot, BUT the attacker at his back changes direction at the same time the puck hits Sheehan's stick and goes right to him. Letang is not aware of were his man went, combined with the fact that for no apparent reason Murray is 2 feet out of his net means it's an easy goal. Both goal 1 of game 4 for Fleury, and game 5 goal 4 against Murray have goal tender miscues. I just think that Murray's was a big mistake, and fleury's was a smaller one. Though both ended up in the net so...

Also in that video above, I don't think I need to say anything about goal #2 against other woof!

Goal 1 against, I want to say just good shot by karlsson, but when I really look at it Murray is so crouched and he doesn't really do himself favors trying to find the puck. There was a sight line to be had on that puck I remember Milbury saying he could see the puck but just doesn't pick it up, I dunno if Murray just couldn't pick it up or the bodies got him unfocused or what. I just hate pucks from that far out going in. Still this is not as egregious as the other 2 goals I just mentioned in game 5. But why harp on Murray? I do like Fleury, but he's not my goalie no more, and I worry more about the guys with a penguins sweater. Fleury is not a Penguin anymore, wish him the best but that's it. Also. Vegas is not exactly setting themselves up to succeed and the only thing holding them back is goal tending right now. They are literally missing crazy good chances, and Holtby is literally one of the luckiest goalies I have watched.

Pens out played the Caps 4 out of 6 games, despite being injuried like crazy, despite our boneheaded lapses we still had MORE grade A scoring opportunities. This is not the case in Vegas/Caps. I don't feel like Vegas has played like they have been able to against other opponents.

So game 6, that first goal Murray let up was another woof. BUT we didn't put up more then 1, just can't win that way. Like vegas we did get grade A chances and beat Holtby, and hit posts or just missed.

My critique on Fleury right now. He is making mostly minor mistakes. They become noticeable because against the caps and the way the hockey gods have this going any mistake against the caps will go in the net. Especially since every cap seems to make it to the net unimpeded. The big thing is he is making far too many mistakes. So while he is not perhaps making a worse play then say murray, he's making more mistakes and it's really killing Vegas right now.

Game 4 was really bad for Fleury, the corsi, danger chances are all super lopsided in Vegas's favor. I was surprised how lopsided the stats came out. In all fairness I turned the game off after the 3rd goal against vegas. The way pucks were going in and how the knights couldn't convert it was over.
Vegas played the game they should have, but Holtby was very very lucky. ANY mistake fleury made was going in the net. High danger chances, 12 for vegas, 5 for the caps. Corsi was over 60% for vegas. They needed fleury to be a lot better in this, I don't think this is the same as pucks going in off the back boards and him putting it in his net bad. Fleury is not as bad as those stats say, but he is definitely not playing well and no matter how you slice it when you out play the caps like that statistically you need to win whether it's Offense not converting, defense breaking down badly, or goalie not playing well. I think all 3 are in play here. But regardless it is a must win game Fleury needed to come up big for them instead he laid an egg. Stinks because he's a great guy and the previous 3 rounds should be almost required viewing for aspiring goalies.

Who knows fleury has it in him to steal the next 2 games and force game 7, I highly doubt that that happens. But I really don't want to see Tom Wilson with a cup above his head.

freakgoal.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
All Vegas has done is make history.

3-1, make history one more time. Win it in 7.
Yes. Unfortunately nobody really remembers second place. So all that work effort and domination all year long by Las Vegas will be, for the most part, forgotten by the average fan of the NHL.

While it is not over yet the possibility that a team playing the way Las Vegas is playing now is so slim that I have nothing and I mean nothing of anything relating to optimism towards the outcome of this series.

How Las Vegas can lose their minds is something I will never figure out. These guys can't even hit the net when it is empty. I'm besides myself. I can't understand how they can play so bad and it is a pretty authentic style of awful. Can't fake this kind of embarrassing display of Stanley Cup finals effort.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I think you're on extremely thin ice, no pun intended, to argue that a team coming in at 12-3 was lucky.
Seriously?

I watched pretty much every game of theirs this playoffs. It's unreal how lucky they were. Every bounce, shot, or miracle no look save went their way. They've been the luckiest team in the playoffs for sure. Just because they were 12-3 doesn't make them less lucky.

They're a good team and maybe without the crazy lucky they still make it to the finals, but they've been the luckiest without a doubt in the 1st three series.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Congrats on winning the Cup today Washington

Or tomorrow, even. Got the wrong dates.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fleury has regressed, no doubt about it. Sorry if I overstated the goals go in on "anyone". I can be pretty critical on fleury but it's little things, last game. He was just a little not square on the first goal the shot was going top far corner, it's not like it was aimed at his chest it was a well placed shot, he fought it off but since he wasn't square to the shooter it trickled farside. Grade A scoring chance, he stops it but because of his mistake the attacker crashing the net with defender at his back gets an easy goal. Definitely a mistake by fleury.

However let's use this vid for reference:

Goal 4 against, very similar. I was not happy with Murray because Ovechkin is a right handed shot below the dot, there is literally no reason in the world to be that far out of your net you can't argue he's being aggressive and taking the shot away, he just lost his net completely. That is a much much bigger mistake then not being 100% square to the shooter.
Now the similarity is that the defense did him no favors at all. If you look closely Sheehan is trying to get his stick in the way, it looks like Ovie is tryin to pass, letang is actually in a decent spot, BUT the attacker at his back changes direction at the same time the puck hits Sheehan's stick and goes right to him. Letang is not aware of were his man went, combined with the fact that for no apparent reason Murray is 2 feet out of his net means it's an easy goal. Both goal 1 of game 4 for Fleury, and game 5 goal 4 against Murray have goal tender miscues. I just think that Murray's was a big mistake, and fleury's was a smaller one. Though both ended up in the net so...

Also in that video above, I don't think I need to say anything about goal #2 against other woof!

Goal 1 against, I want to say just good shot by karlsson, but when I really look at it Murray is so crouched and he doesn't really do himself favors trying to find the puck. There was a sight line to be had on that puck I remember Milbury saying he could see the puck but just doesn't pick it up, I dunno if Murray just couldn't pick it up or the bodies got him unfocused or what. I just hate pucks from that far out going in. Still this is not as egregious as the other 2 goals I just mentioned in game 5. But why harp on Murray? I do like Fleury, but he's not my goalie no more, and I worry more about the guys with a penguins sweater. Fleury is not a Penguin anymore, wish him the best but that's it. Also. Vegas is not exactly setting themselves up to succeed and the only thing holding them back is goal tending right now. They are literally missing crazy good chances, and Holtby is literally one of the luckiest goalies I have watched.

Pens out played the Caps 4 out of 6 games, despite being injuried like crazy, despite our boneheaded lapses we still had MORE grade A scoring opportunities. This is not the case in Vegas/Caps. I don't feel like Vegas has played like they have been able to against other opponents.

So game 6, that first goal Murray let up was another woof. BUT we didn't put up more then 1, just can't win that way. Like vegas we did get grade A chances and beat Holtby, and hit posts or just missed.

My critique on Fleury right now. He is making mostly minor mistakes. They become noticeable because against the caps and the way the hockey gods have this going any mistake against the caps will go in the net. Especially since every cap seems to make it to the net unimpeded. The big thing is he is making far too many mistakes. So while he is not perhaps making a worse play then say murray, he's making more mistakes and it's really killing Vegas right now.

Game 4 was really bad for Fleury, the corsi, danger chances are all super lopsided in Vegas's favor. I was surprised how lopsided the stats came out. In all fairness I turned the game off after the 3rd goal against vegas. The way pucks were going in and how the knights couldn't convert it was over.
Vegas played the game they should have, but Holtby was very very lucky. ANY mistake fleury made was going in the net. High danger chances, 12 for vegas, 5 for the caps. Corsi was over 60% for vegas. They needed fleury to be a lot better in this, I don't think this is the same as pucks going in off the back boards and him putting it in his net bad. Fleury is not as bad as those stats say, but he is definitely not playing well and no matter how you slice it when you out play the caps like that statistically you need to win whether it's Offense not converting, defense breaking down badly, or goalie not playing well. I think all 3 are in play here. But regardless it is a must win game Fleury needed to come up big for them instead he laid an egg. Stinks because he's a great guy and the previous 3 rounds should be almost required viewing for aspiring goalies.

Who knows fleury has it in him to steal the next 2 games and force game 7, I highly doubt that that happens. But I really don't want to see Tom Wilson with a cup above his head.

The point here is the way you describe these goals. You nitpick every mistake Murray makes and then wash away Fleury's mistakes by pumping the Caps tires. I'll agree Murray let in some stinkers and needed to be better in that series (and that Fleury was playing incredible hockey in the first 3 rounds), but considering Fleury is getting lit up by the same team on very similar chances, maybe the Caps should get credit in their series against us too?

That said, I do appreciate the way you analyze goalies and I think you bring a lot of good conversation to the boards. Don't take this as me throwing away your opinions, because they are generally backed up with good evidence.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
In fact that game was 4-2 in the 2nd.
And yet it felt over after the first goal a few mins in. Fleury was such a mess.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
OK, guys, you know the drill ... if you feel someone from another fanbase is trolling, report the post. That way, if one of us isn't around a global mod can take care of it. Generally speaking, we don't discourage fans of other teams from joining in our conversations as long as they aren't being dicks. So, as long as they're playing nice, we expect you to play nice, too. If you feel they've crossed a line, don't complain in the thread, report the post. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Hockeytown, USA they sold out a viewing party for a game they might finally win a Championship.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
Just saw that Oprik is plus 16 in the playoffs, despite his Corsi only being 44.8.

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I hope the Capitals win game 5, because if they're going to win, I'd rather them not get the pleasure of winning the cup at home.
Well there is also the pressure... but yeah, the way they’ve looked and the way Vegas has looked, I’m sure they’ll close it in 6 if not 5.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It would be so Capitals if they lost by dropping 3 straight. That said, I think win at home on Sunday.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Out of all the laughers Fleury gave up over the years, the one Dominic Moore scored on him in game 7 vs. the Habs was the one that infuriated me the most. It was basically a fadeaway jumpshot along the ice from a mile away. I wanted to die.

That playoff series still pisses me off
Up there right behind the 93 Islanders and 96 Panthers :madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad