Around the NHL Thread - The Amount of Drafts in July is TOO DAMN HIGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I've continually said that I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I don't care if anyone does or not. We are talking about two different things, I just can't tell from your end whether it's accidental or purposeful. The conversation you joined wasn't about finance, it was about the impact of the sports entertainment industry specifically on culture, which encompasses far more than anyone reading this thread deserves to be subjected to.

That's fair, 99% of the population don't care enough about it.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Which, in itself, is kinda part of the point I was trying to make.

golden_cup_PNG94578.png

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Likely due (in part) to failing to undergo the team directed surgical procedure.

I'm sure that's wrong, and anticipate the right answer being posted shortly.

I think you're right. Tolling the contract has to do with Eichel being under team suspension for the entire season. The thing that seems obvious that would be suspendable would be his failed physical, which they presumably could argue is due to his refusal to get their surgery.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think you're right. Tolling the contract has to do with Eichel being under team suspension for the entire season. The thing that seems obvious that would be suspendable would be his failed physical, which they presumably could argue is due to his refusal to get their surgery.
I'm not an expert on anything, but Adams said in his press conference that they wanted to give it the whole summer to see if rest and rehab worked, and then only said that surgery "is an option" now. It just seems to me a lot of vague language, like what if Eichel says, I'm not in violation because I want to keep rehabbing like your docs told me to?
Like Friedman said, Eichel is going to end up taking them to court.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Likely due (in part) to failing to undergo the team directed surgical procedure.

I'm sure that's wrong, and anticipate the right answer being posted shortly.

Can a player be suspended for not opting into a specific surgery? The previously line from the Sabres was they were going with ‘rest and rehabilitation’. I dunno, to me this whole thing stinks to high heaven. I believe the Sabres have to apply to ‘toll’ the contract, to the NHL. I expect this to get really messy. Probably a lot of CBA jargon we are missing here.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think Seravalli has any insider info there. Didn't he also predict Treliving would be fired this past summer and big changes to roster and core? He's just speculating.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Gaudreau wants to sign is not the same as Gaudreau wants to sign 8years / $15M per season. If Gaudreau wants to sign, they have to agree to a reasonable contract for both parties.

And no I'm not saying Gaudreau is looking for $15M per, just that you can't really say anything about contract negotiations based on just "Gaudreau wants to sign"

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gaudreau wanting to re-sign is one headache resolved. If he cared solely about the money/region, it would have come out that he wants to test the market or keep his options open. There's a compromise here to be had while still making sure Gaudreau is well compensated for his efforts here

Treliving has presided over 3 straight offseasons where he's made the team worse. If he can't get this one done, you fire him immediately and bring someone in who can. No excuse for not keeping Gaudreau here from the sounds of the situation

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

It's going to be such a long ugly mess. He got hurt on the job and wants to get surgery that won't f*** up his post playing days and has a doctor willing to do it. Buffalo has decided that if this surgery doesn't work that what then they are a bad team. Buffalo comes off as such shit place to be good luck to them finding anyone not desperate to stay in the league to play there.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
It's going to be such a long ugly mess. He got hurt on the job and wants to get surgery that won't f*** up his post playing days and has a doctor willing to do it. Buffalo has decided that if this surgery doesn't work that what then they are a bad team. Buffalo comes off as such shit place to be good luck to them finding anyone not desperate to stay in the league to play there.

rasmus-dahlin-2019-33.jpg

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Considering he didn't have an option as an rfa to stay in the league I'd say he is in the needs to play there to stay in the league category

Him being an RFA doesn't automatically (dis)qualify him as "desperate" though. From all accounts, he actually does want to be there, and I wish him nothing but success in Buffalo. That town could use a break.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Him being an RFA doesn't automatically (dis)qualify him as "desperate" though. From all accounts, he actually does want to be there, and I wish him nothing but success in Buffalo. That town could use a break.
Eichel wanted to be there at Dahlin’s age too. If you look at the history of guys who’ve ‘fought’ their way out of that organization it’s not a stretch to say something there is rotten.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Eichel wanted to be there at Dahlin’s age too. If you look at the history of guys who’ve ‘fought’ their way out of that organization it’s not a stretch to say something there is rotten.

When Eichel was Dahlin's age, he'd already been named captain, and had just signed an extension to make him the highest-paid player in Sabres history in a deal 5 years longer and worth $4M more per year than Dahlin's recent deal, despite the fact that he had only scored 113pts in 122 games to that point. Who wouldn't want to be there under those circumstances?

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Seravelli says Gaudreau wants to sign. Treliving is hesitant.

the same Treliving who has 13 million spent on Brouwer, Lucic, Zadorov, and Gusbranson

FIRE THIS IDIOT before he destroys this franchise anymore
But just think of all the #7 defensemen and 13 forwards he could sign if Gaudreau wasn't on the team!

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Here's an interesting fact I discovered:

In the past 20 seasons, only two players who were top-5 highest paid in the league won the Stanley Cup that same year. Forsberg in '01 and Crosby in '09 and '16. In 2019-20, the Leafs had $56M of their $81.5 team cap allotted to three players, and would lose to the Blue Jackets in the qualifying round.

In other news, people still starve on this planet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad