Around the NHL Thread - The Amount of Drafts in July is TOO DAMN HIGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Who's judging that? Where's the rubrik for NHL money?

Well there obviously has to be one, otherwise every player would get paid the same. If the players who get paid the most neither score nor win, what are they getting paid to do? If you show up to work one day and decide to just not do your job, what do you suppose would happen?

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
If you start thinking about starving children around the world, nobody in the NHL is worth their salary.
Sorry, what I meant was nobody in the western world is worth their salary

Not everybody in the western world makes millions upon millions whether or not they perform the task they are paid to do, this is a ridiculous statement.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well there obviously has to be one, otherwise every player would get paid the same. If the players who get paid the most neither score nor win, what are they getting paid to do? If you show up to work one day and decide to just not do your job, what do you suppose would happen?
What's their job?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not everybody in the western world makes millions upon millions whether or not they perform the task they are paid to do, this is a ridiculous statement.

I didnt say they make millions, I said they are not worth their salary if you consider all the starving children in the world

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I still don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

You are the one that brought up starving children to the discussion.

And just to clarify, somethingsomething about NHL players salaries becausepleasewouldsomeonethinkaboutstarvingchildren is a really bad argument.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
You are the one that brought up starving children to the discussion.

And just to clarify, somethingsomething about NHL players salaries becausepleasewouldsomeonethinkaboutstarvingchildren is a really bad argument.

It's called context. My only argument had to do with people getting paid millions upon millions, regardless of whether they actually provide the "service" they are paid to, and the impact / effects of that dynamic on the broader economy and culture. There is no incentive to score, or even win, when a player gets paid the same amount whether they achieve either, yet these are the very terms by which a contract is negotiated. This player has achieved this much (or we expect him to), and will be compensated with x amount of money. It sends a terrible message to the public and to the youth to have the capacity to generate $28M in public money annually between the four major sports leagues, and not provide something of equal value in return, especially when the people who slave away at regular jobs (for which they would be fired for not doing what they were paid to) are the very people wearing those jerseys and supporting the teams. This isn't Disney on ice; it's not entertaining for any true fan of the game to see a bunch of guys skating around. We want to see our team and city win, and money is a disincentive to that.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's called context. My only argument had to do with people getting paid millions upon millions, regardless of whether they actually provide the "service" they are paid to, and the impact / effects of that dynamic on the broader economy and culture. There is no incentive to score, or even win, when a player gets paid the same amount whether they achieve either, yet these are the very terms by which a contract is negotiated. This player has achieved this much (or we expect him to), and will be compensated with x amount of money. It sends a terrible message to the public and to the youth to have the capacity to generate $28M in public money annually between the four major sports leagues, and not provide something of equal value in return, especially when the people who slave away at regular jobs (for which they would be fired for not doing what they were paid to) are the very people wearing those jerseys and supporting the teams. This isn't Disney on ice; it's not entertaining for any true fan of the game to see a bunch of guys skating around. We want to see our team and city win, and money is a disincentive to that.

So what is the part of the starving children in this?

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021

the point.jpg

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Yes, those funny memes are often used when you cant make your point.

Again, you brought up starving children here. If you cant explain how Eicher making $10M per year instead of lets say $5M per year has any effect on starving children around the world, please just stop.

But if you can, I'd be interested to hear that.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Yes, those funny memes are often used when you cant make your point.

Again, you brought up starving children here. If you cant explain how Eicher making $10M per year instead of lets say $5M per year has any effect on starving children around the world, please just stop.

But if you can, I'd be interested to hear that.

It's not that I can't make a point; it's that I don't really know what to say that I already haven't. There's no point in trying to continually explain economics (and the impact on culture thereof) if the person to whom I'm trying to explain it is too caught up looking for something to refute or distort to make an effort to understand anything. Nothing I've said is non-factual. The big four sports leagues combined pulled down $28B last year combined ($4B for the NHL), which is proof positive that the capacity exists to generate that type of revenue on the backs of the general public not just once, but annually. The issue is with what constitutes the "value" that the public receives in return for their commitment to that company and product. If any company or industry has the capacity to generate that type of revenue of public funds, and allocates it to people making $10M or more every year, whether or not they even perform the task they are being paid that much to do, you can't tell me that it won't send a certain message to the public. The NHL isn't even the worst offender.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's not that I can't make a point; it's that I don't really know what to say that I already haven't. There's no point in trying to continually explain economics (and the impact on culture thereof) if the person to whom I'm trying to explain it is too caught up looking for something to refute or distort to make an effort to understand anything. Nothing I've said is non-factual. The big four sports leagues combined pulled down $28B last year combined ($4B for the NHL), which is proof positive that the capacity exists to generate that type of revenue on the backs of the general public not just once, but annually. The issue is with what constitutes the "value" that the public receives in return for their commitment to that company and product. If any company or industry has the capacity to generate that type of revenue of public funds, and allocates it to people making $10M or more every year, whether or not they even perform the task they are being paid that much to do, you can't tell me that it won't send a certain message to the public. The NHL isn't even the worst offender.

If everyone in NA professional sports leagues were making 50% less money, how would that change the situation for starving people around the world?

Why am I asking this? You brought up starving people out of nowhere into the discussion.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's no use talking to him. He's embittered because he works 9-5, while players make millions for essentially having fun, and thinks there should be an equivalency in pro hockey where "winning" and "scoring" are tangible commodities, when not delivered to his specifications, the contract is terminated (even though that's not how it would work in the real world either) and not just abstract concepts in a television entertainment show, which is what they are.

Reactions: Kahvi

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
If everyone in NA professional sports leagues were making 50% less money, how would that change the situation for starving people around the world?

Why am I asking this? You brought up starving people out of nowhere into the discussion.

It would really depend on where that other 50% went, and for how long that revenue stream was active for, wouldn't it?

I feel like these are questions you could probably answer for yourself.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It would really depend on where that other 50% went, and for how long that revenue stream was active for, wouldn't it?

I feel like these are questions you could probably answer for yourself.

So, why did you started talking about people starving around the world?

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
It's no use talking to him. He's embittered because he works 9-5, while players make millions for essentially having fun, and thinks there should be an equivalency in pro hockey where "winning" and "scoring" are tangible commodities, when not delivered to his specifications, the contract is terminated (even though that's not how it would work in the real world either) and not just abstract concepts in a television entertainment show, which is what they are.

You can talk to me, I'm right here. And you don't have to create a vaguely insulting fictional narrative about me to defend your favourite cherished millionaires. It's not just about pro hockey, it's about every sport. Christ, the highest-paid soccer players in the world make more individually than an entire NHL team's payroll. To run around a field kicking a ball. People watch their children play hockey because they want to see them having fun. People watch NHL hockey because they want to see their team win. This is not Disney on Ice, and it's not the WWE. If it didn't matter whether someone scored goals or won games, players wouldn't have anything to negotiate when signing a new contract. It can't be about player value one minute when signing a contract, and suddenly have the definition of "value" change when the promise of said contract is not fulfilled. If people are fed up with watching a team lose, they will find better, more valuable ways to be entertained, simple as that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You can talk to me, I'm right here. And you don't have to create a vaguely insulting fictional narrative about me to defend your favourite cherished millionaires. It's not just about pro hockey, it's about every sport. Christ, the highest-paid soccer players in the world make more individually than an entire NHL team's payroll. To run around a field kicking a ball. People watch their children play hockey because they want to see them having fun. People watch NHL hockey because they want to see their team win. This is not Disney on Ice, and it's not the WWE. If it didn't matter whether someone scored goals or won games, players wouldn't have anything to negotiate when signing a new contract. It can't be about player value one minute when signing a contract, and suddenly have the definition of "value" change when the promise of said contract is not fulfilled. If people are fed up with watching a team lose, they will find better, more valuable ways to be entertained, simple as that.
Very bitter.
People watch to see the best players play the game. If you think the teams and the fans are in this together on a special quest for the cup, I'm sorry for you. It absolutely is the WWE. Follow along if you want. A contract is guaranteed money. Write a letter to David Fehr and tell him you followed a long with a clipboard and made notes that these millionaires didn't live up to their contracts, didn't win enough games, enough rings, didn't hussle and can all go to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad