Series Talk: Around the NHL: Tampa Bay Finally Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It gives me hope that we can win on the other side of Sid and Geno. We will need some high picks but you don’t need generational talent.

I know that seems obvious but encouraging to see.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It's funny that we won in the Flower .908 year, but failed in the Flower .933 year (2008).
Had we won, Flower would be known as a Conn Smythe winner, if any justice exists.

Honestly I think he has a strong case there even though we lost...
Nothing in the definition of the Smythe saying it can only go to the winning team.
2008 was easily the best playoff run of Fleury’s career in my opinion. He was a legit Conn Smythe contender even with the Penguins losing. That was the best I’ve ever seen him play. It’s crazy to think they got that level of goaltending but still lost to that Detroit team

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Vegas defended too much in the third and was lucky that Hill had maybe the best game of his life but in the end you just cannot defend the way the Oilers defended on the second and third Knights goal and expect to go far with shaky goaltending to boot. Especially when the NHL gives you a Let Them Play duo of refs for the elimination game.

The third Vegas was downright comical - two Vegas forward all alone to poke the puck into the net, no Oilers anywhere near.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The recent expansion teams really have had an advantage. they got to pick players on good/fair contracts. They don’t have those awful deals like other teams.
And Vegas got to screw most teams by also taking on players for draft picks on the side of picking players.

Seattle didn't get as lucky but have built a hell of a competing roster, good job by Ron Francis

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Skinner losing a series on a cup contender team reminds me of the years in Pittsburgh where Fleury was just awful. Very reminiscent of the Bylsma years 2010-2015....
He didn't play well but at the same time he had a hell of a season as a rookie and a promissing future. Campbell and Nurse are very concerning contracts for the oilers going forward, they need to figure out how to move them IMO

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Playoff success this year has been a result of depth throughout the entire lineup and good goaltending.

Hoping GM and Presidents of the world Mike Sullivan is paying attention.

Playoff success this year has been a result of depth throughout the entire lineup and good goaltending.

Hoping GM and Presidents of the world Mike Sullivan is paying attention.
Desmith with a 2 year contract was just laughable. When i see Vegas with Quick as their 3rd goalie, it's crazy to think that this organisation went again this year with Jarry who gets injured all the time and hasn't won a playoff round ever and a 2nd goalie who's too small for the NHL.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Three of the four conference finalists are now using a different goalie than the one they started with, I wonder if that has ever happened?

I think teams get a beat on goalies, like Vegas had with Skinner…that’s why a good coach will change out goalies and play the hot hand…also why you need two good goalies, a 1A and 1B…sometimes the younger unproven goalie will get hot during the season or playoffs and the other teams haven’t seen him and don’t know his weaknesses yet…another call for dumping both Jarry and CDS lol

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The goaltenders in the final four outside of Oettinger potentially all sucked ass this season lol
I agree with you, must be a first lol Just kidding.... Even Oettinger has been pulled a few times and given up 6-7 goals

This playoff has proved more and more not to spend any money or trade picks for goalies. They've all been pulled on multiple occasion. I'm looking for 2 goalies max at 3-3.5 million for each and capable of playing 40 games each. That's the route most teams are taking and we should follow in my opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia