Series Talk: Around the NHL: Tampa Bay Finally Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess to me is it's like... just watch how Sid and Malkin handled themselves every single playoffs with little to no exceptions. Dialed in... involved in EVERY facet of the game... doing whatever it takes every shift to get the job done even if means they might not be the guy that actually scores the deciding goal.

I don't think McDavid and Drai are a couple of worthless layabouts or anything. I just never have seen that same shift-in shift-out intensity from them.

I think they do it, but they sacrifice in other areas.

Honestly, McDavid has stunk in pretty much every international / playoff competition he's been part of.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Honestly, McDavid has stunk in pretty much every international / playoff competition he's been part of.

I mean it's a lot of pressure and the playoffs are a whole different animal. It's one thing to half-float through the RS and feast on your powerplay while you get to play most of your shifts with primo linemates. It's another to skate uphill all game with two guys hangin' off your back with no calls now or coming any time soon and suddenly the competition is hugely motivated and doing everything they can to slow your best guys down.

It's why what Crosby has done his whole career is so impressive. He was Mr. Next One Guy and still somehow lived up to the hype despite the insane pressure. At EVERY time of the season.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You can say that 1. The defense wouldn't hold up today in it's makeup and also 2. It was good enough at the time. Guys like Orpik and Scuderi were legitimately good defensively at that point in time (even tho Orpik a lil overrated still) and Letang played much better after Bylsma came in.

The Pens finished 9th in goals against and 4th in goals for in 2009, and that's without Gonchar for most of the year.

Also totally forgot about Boston that year. They won the presidents trophy and had the best offense and defense in the league that season.. and lost in the 2nd round.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

McDavid had 11 points in 7 games in the WJC as a 17 year old, he definitely didn't stink last year in the playoffs either. I don't think he's the same kind of cat Crosby is, and that has effects on the team around him, but I would never say he's not a big game player.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I've thought about that deal as well. Both players contracts expire after next season. Pens get a couple years younger and Toronto gets a guy in Guentzel that's peak playoff performances have been better than Nylander. I doubt it happens and I'm not saying I want it to. I think a potential Toronto/Pittsburgh shakeup trade becomes more of a possibility if Dubas gets our GM job.
There's an interesting recent history of mostly mutually beneficial moves with the Leafs. I wonder if Dubas as GM might work against that, though. He'd be leaving on, at best, ambivalent terms.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
McDavid had 11 points in 7 games in the WJC as a 17 year old, he definitely didn't stink last year in the playoffs either. I don't think he's the same kind of cat Crosby is, and that has effects on the team around him, but I would never say he's not a big game player.

Reinhart - Domi - Duclair was the best line for that team.

My point was more that he fails to deliver in the clutch as "the guy".

It's kinda of been an issue with him all of his career.

You can say that 1. The defense wouldn't hold up today in it's makeup and also 2. It was good enough at the time. Guys like Orpik and Scuderi were legitimately good defensively at that point in time (even tho Orpik a lil overrated still) and Letang played much better after Bylsma came in.

The Pens finished 9th in goals against and 4th in goals for in 2009, and that's without Gonchar for most of the year.

Also totally forgot about Boston that year. They won the presidents trophy and had the best offense and defense in the league that season.. and lost in the 2nd round.

It was good enough because we had Sid and Geno doing what they were doing.

Orpik was trash and continued to be trash here for years.

Scuderi had a 3-4 year window of being a top four D.

Gill lasted like one more year in terms of being a top four guy. Eaton was basically out of the league until we decided to bring him back in 2013.

Gonchar basically fell apart after that season.

Letang was Letang but at that point was not the player he was even in 2010.

That defense like most of the Penguins forward group immediately dissipated in terms of NHL careers outside of the Penguins having to use them.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Reinhart - Domi - Duclair was the best line for that team.

My point was more that he fails to deliver in the clutch as "the guy".

It's kinda of been an issue with him all of his career.

It was good enough because we had Sid and Geno doing what they were doing.

Orpik was trash and continued to be trash here for years.

Scuderi had a 3-4 year window of being a top four D.

Gill lasted like one more year in terms of being a top four guy. Eaton was basically out of the league until we decided to bring him back in 2013.

Gonchar basically fell apart after that season.

Letang was Letang but at that point was not the player he was even in 2010.

That defense like most of the Penguins forward group immediately dissipated in terms of NHL careers outside of the Penguins having to use them.
He literally has scored at a 130 points in the playoff pace the last 4 rounds, and scored a really clutch goal last game, I don't know what exactly he's supposed to do lol.

Orpik wasn't trash. The rest of the points are irrelevant because they, like I said, were good enough that season. 9th in GA despite Fleury being mediocre that year. Sid and Geno were holding down the top six but the Pens also had the best third line in the NHL at the time. If you substitute Gill or Eaton with somebody more rounded then you have a pretty good D, especially for that time. Eaton also came up pretty huge in that run at times, and Gill's inference and bear-hugging in the playoffs was nice.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I mean, Jagr could never win one (or really even get close) once he was "the man". It's a stain on the overall legacy maybe, but not a huge one.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I mean, Jagr could never win one (or really even get close) once he was "the man". It's a stain on the overall legacy maybe, but not a huge one.
Nope. Jagr will be remembered for winning 2 Stanley Cups and helping the Czech team win their first Olympic gold medal against heavy favourites.

I bet you McDavid would trade all his points for that hardware at 26.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Nope. Jagr will be remembered for winning 2 Stanley Cups and helping the Czech team win their first Olympic gold medal against heavy favourites.

I bet you McDavid would trade all his points for that hardware at 26.

Outside of one goal, Jagr was a passenger on those cup teams. Larry Murphy was more important. So was Pietrangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad