OT: Around the NHL - Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Rooting for caps for the next two, then CBJ, then Caps - then I don’t care... because if this thing goes 7 neither of these teams is coming out in one piece.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I have to root for the Caps...I’m cheering more for a long series than for any particular opponent...

I’m only wanting the Caps to win because that’s one of the teams I picked us to beat on the way to winning the cup (Philly, Caps, Boston, Winnipeg) and I hate being wrong ;)

Reactions: Andy99

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Jackets need to start cutting towards the front of the net. Hard to beat Holtby from those poor angle shots.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
he's also playing Tom Wilson just about 19 minutes a game :laugh:
I don’t get what people see in him. I think it was Rupp that was complimenting his game earlier this week and I was really shocked, because Rupp is generally about protecting the players while Wilson has built a career on doing. . . not that. And Wilson hurts his team consistently. You can just count on him to make a stupid play at very critical moments, like taking a dumb penalty in period 1 of game 3 when his team is down 2 games.

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I read somewhere that over the course of a season, an NHL coach on average can win/lose about 4 games by the decisions he makes from the bench. I really think Trotz lost the Caps 2 playoff games by not starting Holtby from the beginning of this series. It doesn’t matter that Holtby struggled a bit toward the end of the season. Holtby’s your guy, and outside of a couple series against a Penguins team that has made many goalies look average, he’s been very good for the Caps in the playoffs.

I’ll give Trotz that one. He was in a bad spot with goaltending and could be getting the same criticisms for starting the series with Holtby. If they’ve been thinking the Pens broke him even a little bit then that had to have factored in.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I’m only wanting the Caps to win because that’s one of the teams I picked us to beat on the way to winning the cup (Philly, Caps, Boston, Winnipeg) and I hate being wrong ;)
I’d like to play the Caps because Colombus is a better, deeper team.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don’t get what people see in him. I think it was Rupp that was complimenting his game earlier this week and I was really shocked, because Rupp is generally about protecting the players while Wilson has built a career on doing. . . not that. And Wilson hurts his team consistently. You can just count on him to make a stupid play at very critical moments, like taking a dumb penalty in period 1 of game 3 when his team is down 2 games.
and then whiff on an open net in OT :laugh:

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I’ll give Trotz that one. He was in a bad spot with goaltending and could be getting the same criticisms for starting the series with Holtby. If they’ve been thinking the Pens broke him even a little bit then that had to have factored in.
Understood if they think Holtby’s confidence is permanently shaken, they shouldn’t play him. But if that’s the case, and their goal is a Stanley Cup (which it should be because they have OV and owe it to him not to blow the team up yet), then trade Holtby to build depth and lean on Grubauer. I don’t understand waiting until the playoffs to make that decision if they truly believe Holtby can’t be trusted anymore.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My dog apparently has chosen his desired winner tonight....just vomited something up and it’s blue...there you go folks....

Reactions: ColePens

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Understood if they think Holtby’s confidence is permanently shaken, they shouldn’t play him. But if that’s the case, and their goal is a Stanley Cup (which it should be because they have OV and owe it to him not to blow the team up yet), then trade Holtby to build depth and lean on Grubauer. I don’t understand waiting until the playoffs to make that decision if they truly believe Holtby can’t be trusted anymore.

The Pens ignored fleury being a mental disaster for years before doing something. Maybe they think he can rebound or that they wouldn’t be able to find someone genuinely better including Grubauer as a starter. Maybe they think it sends a bad message to their fans and know their window is most likely closed.

I really wouldn’t call them a cup winning roster even without their history.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The Pens ignored fleury being a mental disaster for years before doing something. Maybe they think he can rebound or that they wouldn’t be able to find someone genuinely better including Grubauer as a starter. Maybe they think it sends a bad message to their fans and know their window is most likely closed.

2016 and 2017 rosters were cup winning caliber. That didn't go so well for them.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
It's kinda fun when they switch to the other game during an intermission, and it's during a commercial break so they just have to keep it on the game since there aren't any ad deals with the other station for that game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
WPG and Minn look so much slower playing than CBJ and the Caps....

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's kinda fun when they switch to the other game during an intermission, and it's during a commercial break so they just have to keep it on the game since there aren't any ad deals with the other station for that game.

I'm streaming and it's rogue NHLnet so I get 'commercial break in progress' as my screen during time-outs.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017

Agreed they aren’t a Cup contender. Last year may have been the Caps’ last chance at a Cup for a long time. Their defense is going to be even more lost without Carlson next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad