Around the NHL, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And so far Yzerman hasn't really been bit for it.

Once we see the Drouins and Kucherovs of the world start ditching Tampa, we can say that Yzerman's strategy hasn't worked.

I think Yzerman's build of the Lightning is a touch overrated, but I give him a lot of credit for not only asset management, but player retainment as well. Honestly, I am incredibly envious of the team that Tampa Bay has, because it is not only good but also young and quick and entertaining.

Having Hedman on your backend makes everything much, much easier when building a team.

Tampa still has some bad contracts right now, though. Garrison, Callahan, and Filppula all need to be ditched at some point. Also, I think the team makeup needed to be changed. They're basically running the same team back again that couldn't get it done twice now. I feel players like Palat or Namestnikov should have been moved for different pieces to mix it up.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Compare the Kucherov contract to the Tatar/Nyquist contracts and you have a better comparison.

Those are terrible comparisons.

Tatar signed his contract after ONE full NHL season with 39 points. Nyquist got his deal after less than two seasons and never broke 55 points. He's also UFA after his deal.

Kucherov, on the other hand, had 2.5 full seasons under his belt, and had 64 and 66 points respectively. And he just turned 23. He's also RFA after his deal.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Having Hedman on your backend makes everything much, much easier when building a team.

Tampa still has some bad contracts right now, though. Garrison, Callahan, and Filppula all need to be ditched at some point. Also, I think the team makeup needed to be changed. They're basically running the same team back again that couldn't get it done twice now. I feel players like Palat or Namestnikov should have been moved for different pieces to mix it up.

Uh, why would they get rid of their #3 defenseman?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

callahan and filppula contracts are bad. actually callahan contract is awful. don't like the killorn deal either. garrison is not.

palat is one of the best two way wingers in the game. you don't trade players like that. palat is one of the last guys they should be looking at to trade. drouin is the only player i'd rather keep.

when they made the SC finals, triplets were basically 2nd year NHLers and drouin was barely playing. last year stamkos and bishop were injured/not close to 100%. why on earth should they change their makeup of their team when some of their players have yet to hit their prime and they don't even know what they have in them?

namestnikov shouldn't be untouchable or even close to it but he just had his first full season in tampa. but he should be moved to change the makeup of the team?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Those are terrible comparisons.

Tatar signed his contract after ONE full NHL season with 39 points. Nyquist got his deal after less than two seasons and never broke 55 points. He's also UFA after his deal.

Kucherov, on the other hand, had 2.5 full seasons under his belt, and had 64 and 66 points respectively. And he just turned 23. He's also RFA after his deal.
They are still much closer comparables than a RFA only contract vs. a UFA only contract. Nyquist especially which has to be considered a very good contract considering we don't have the tax advantage Tampa has.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
1aa29700d609a9a53d962a68634667b3.jpg

he's back!!!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You talking about Gary Thorne? That's pretty cool. I'm actually excited about Ralph Strangis. I was bummed when he left the Stars broadcast. Him and Razor were the best duo in the entire NHL hands down.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I really think Leafs and Senators will be bottom 5 in the league this year. Both teams look awful.

Matthews however, amazing that 2nd goal. Nylander and Marner also looking good. They will be fun to watch.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
USA Hockey!!!

We are going to have something big with a one two punch of Matthews and Eichel.

Gaudreau will be a hell of player as well. I thought Trouba was Canadian but realized today he's a Michigan boy.

Trocheck looked good too.

But I think Russia is going to be a team to watch and going to be very dangerous pretty soon. Finland too. I think Canada will dominate for some more but maybe not long after that. International hockey will get very exciting.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Leafs are gonna have a team in a few years -- Matthews + manner looking like they'll be a good duo for a long time together.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Matthews is gonna be the GOAT when he retires

hopefuly he decides to retire cause he gets bored of the NHL next season, that way we wont have to deal with his ****

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
If you have been watching... the last 3 goals, a good goalie would have saved IMO... Craig Anderson is terrible... Still great start for the rook

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you have been watching... the last 3 goals, a good goalie would have saved IMO... Craig Anderson is terrible... Still great start for the rook

Fourth goal is a bang bang 2 on 1 where Nylander got it across great.

Anderson has to hope he hits him or can't get the puck up off the ice. He stuck it right up high, no shot on that other than hoping it goes right.

Really the fact the Sens gave up a 2 on 1 with 10 seconds left says everything about the defensive focus that team has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad