Around the NHL, p.12: Stuff is once again starting to happen!!! ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There is something seriously wrong with this management group if they had the choice between Nakladal and Grossmann and chose the latter. But I'm guessing Nakladal went to the place that best gives him a chance to stick in the NHL plus the all important one-way deal.

Good for him though to find a contract. Definitely deserved it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
There is something seriously wrong with this management group if they had the choice between Nakladal and Grossmann and chose the latter. But I'm guessing Nakladal went to the place that best gives him a chance to stick in the NHL plus the all important one-way deal.

Nak wanted a 1 way deal and the Flames werent interested in that. I dont think it was a matter of not wanting him here but on what terms.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

or they chose between Nakladal and Kulak

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Nak wanted a 1 way deal and the Flames werent interested in that. I dont think it was a matter of not wanting him here but on what terms.
Yeah, that was probably the issue
or they chose between Nakladal and Kulak
More likely it was between Nakladal and Wideman but given the latter has zero positive trade value, the choice was made for them.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's because Murray is injured and Faulk left the game in the 2nd yesterday,

It's insurance.

Murphy.

Murphy's injury definitely came into play, but I think the signing has little to do with Faulk getting injured. During the last game, Francis was on the radio at the 1st intermission (before Faulk's injury occurred) and stated he'd be signing a #6 D in the next week, so this was in the works before Faulk got injured.

I think it has MORE to do with wanting to start Fleury and McKeown in the AHL instead of NHL (Francis and Peters have talked about it being important for their development). They already have 3 second year defensemen that are 19-22 (Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce) so don't want to have another rookie or 2 added to the mix as that would be too young. They signed Tennyson in the off season with the intentions of him being that guy, but he was terrible in the pre-season so they had to go to a plan b, which was made more urgent once Murphy went down.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, that was probably the issue.

Yep, that definitely was the issue.

The 28-year-old defenceman said the hang-up appears to be the Flames’ hesitation to ink him to a one-way contract, guaranteeing him NHL money.

“I would like to stay in Calgary, but I said after the season, I will soon be 29 and I have one kid and my wife is pregnant, so I think more about my family right now,†said Nakladal, who was called up in the second half of last season from Stockton to play his first 27 NHL games for the Flames.

“So, a one-way contract for me is the only option for me in the NHL.â€

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/1...ill-hoping-he-can--re-join-the-calgary-flames

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No real loss. Sure, he might have been an upgrade over guys like Wideman or Engelland (even then, it's debatable), but he's not a long term solution.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
This.

I'm getting really tired of the ridiculous overhyping some of our players are getting.

There is liking them, and then there is being ridiculous about it.

Agreed. If he really were the 4th best d on this team, he'd have gotten many other offers. There is a reason he had to settle for a one year deal at league minimum.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
even if he is overhyped a bit, which he probably is

still surprising they couldn't afford 600k, even on a 1-way

are y'all really that close up on the cap?

600k for at worst a 6/7 guy isn't all that bad or am i missing something?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

It's not so much the cap hit as our top 3 is set with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton. Our bottom 4 for better or worse had Wideman, Engelland, Wotherspoon, Kulak and Jokipakka all fighting for spots. Even Grossman to a lesser extent.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
It's not so much the cap hit as our top 3 is set with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton. Our bottom 4 for better or worse had Wideman, Engelland, Wotherspoon, Kulak and Jokipakka all fighting for spots. Even Grossman to a lesser extent.

i agree with you, but i will also say that from watching almost every flames game last year, he is at least as good or better than 2-3 of those other guys

or is it that you guys want engelland//grossman because they throw punches?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
i agree with you, but i will also say that from watching almost every flames game last year, he is at least as good or better than 2-3 of those other guys

or is it that you guys want engelland//grossman because they throw punches?

Nakladal was okay, but it was a sheltered role in a smaller sample size. As I had mentioned earlier as well, cap is tight, and Nakladal isn't a long term solution. He'd be a temporary bottom pairing guy. Kulak/Wotherspoon/Kylington/Andersen aren't that far away.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Flames ownership seems to have this weird thing about not wanting to pay players an NHL salary while they aren't on the big team. There have been a few notable exceptions like Raymond (although I imagine Hartley petitioned to send him down).

Same reason the Flames won't retain salary when trading bad contracts away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino