Around the NHL Lucky #13 - A Sign of Things to Come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Well it is ESPN and they know nothing about hockey.

I usually check the box scores from ESPN because I've done it for god knows how long, but I don't usually bother to read their articles. Guess I should have kept it that way

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, I just looked at the NHL standings. The difference between the two conferences so far this year is just nuts. The Eastern Conference has all of two teams actually below .500.

We play Columbus next. They are 13 games above .500, and they're in a wild card spot! That's ridiculous. 18-5-4 and they would have to play the Penguins if the season ended today. :laugh:

We are two games above .500, and find ourselves firmly in the same spot in the West. Tampa, also two games above, find themselves on the outside looking in. Of course, games played need to equalize for this to really be fair, but still...

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
To be fair, Columbus leads the league in points percentage. But yeah, it is pretty crazy the discrepancy between conferences is so extreme so far.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
A lot more 3 point games for the Eastern conference teams, it seems. Of course just looking by standings you can't tell how many of those game have been within conference. Does anyone know where to see # of 3 point games for teams within the same conference?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So, I just looked at the NHL standings. The difference between the two conferences so far this year is just nuts. The Eastern Conference has all of two teams actually below .500.

We play Columbus next. They are 13 games above .500, and they're in a wild card spot! That's ridiculous. 18-5-4 and they would have to play the Penguins if the season ended today. :laugh:

We are two games above .500, and find ourselves firmly in the same spot in the West. Tampa, also two games above, find themselves on the outside looking in. Of course, games played need to equalize for this to really be fair, but still...

It all evens out, teams will fade eventually. I don't see Columbus keeping up this breakneck pace, or Philly.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well this is one of the worst hockey opinions I've ever seen. "Hit by Cody Eakin on Henrik Lundqvist underlines the fact that goalies should be fair game".

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-underlines-fact-goalies-fair-game-comes-hits

Well, if Lundqvist knows he's fair game, he's going to keep his head up and have more situational awareness in that situation.

I agree that if a goalie leaves his netminding position to play the puck as a player would, he (or she, I suppose) should be fair game. (that's different than being squared against a shooter while positionally located outside of his crease)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Well, if Lundqvist knows he's fair game, he's going to keep his head up and have more situational awareness in that situation.

I agree that if a goalie leaves his netminding position to play the puck as a player would, he (or she, I suppose) should be fair game. (that's different than being squared against a shooter while positionally located outside of his crease)

Goalies are, because of their gear, essentially different from other players. Skating, movement, balance, puckhandling is affected by their gear, and puts them in more vulnerable position if normal contact is allowed. And if normal contact is allowed outside the crease, there would surely be questionable plays were skaters would say the goalie was outside. Simple "no contact" type of rule is always better because it leaves less room for interpretation.

Worst part of that article
A team sport, especially hockey, shouldn't have different rules for different players.
I tried to think of a team sport with same rules for every player. Basketball is one, I guess. Couldn't come up with others.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
In soccer the goalkeeper is treated just like other players outside the box and I don't see that as a problem.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Goalies are, because of their gear, essentially different from other players. Skating, movement, balance, puckhandling is affected by their gear, and puts them in more vulnerable position if normal contact is allowed. And if normal contact is allowed outside the crease, there would surely be questionable plays were skaters would say the goalie was outside. Simple "no contact" type of rule is always better because it leaves less room for interpretation.

Worst part of that article

I tried to think of a team sport with same rules for every player. Basketball is one, I guess. Couldn't come up with others.

IMO if they're assuming the role of "skater" by leaving the safety of their goal to go and play the puck, they are no longer acting as a goalie but as a sixth skater.

Sometimes you have to take responsibility of your own actions and as a goalie if you know if you leave the net to play the puck you may be hit (legally) and vulnerable to a scoring chance as a result, the goalie would be more cautious about playing the puck, that's all.

For what it's worth, I believe if that hit was on a defenseman, he's in a vulnerable position too - that's why I feel there should be additional action by the league, not because it was on a goalie.

PS: This isn't a hill I'd choose to die on either - I'm perfectly fine with the current rules too. Goalies do need protection from contact for like 90% of their jobs.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
IMO if they're assuming the role of "skater" by leaving the safety of their goal to go and play the puck, they are no longer acting as a goalie but as a sixth skater.

Well I basically agree, as this works in soccer for example, but in hockey goalies gear is the difference maker.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well I basically agree, as this works in soccer for example, but in hockey goalies gear is the difference maker.

True. The goalie gear presents a problem for goalies trying to get out of the way of forecheckers. But there are two solutions to that problem: tell the players they can't touch the goalie, or tell goalies to stay in their net if there's a forechecker. It's just like with boarding plays- there's always two sides to the coin when a player turns his back to a hit.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
In soccer the goalkeeper is treated just like other players outside the box and I don't see that as a problem.

I have played keeper my entire life, at pretty high levels as well (got a look from the US Under 17 team way back when), and still play in rec leagues, and I agree 100% with this. Never had a problem with it.

If I wanted to go walk about, I would never have a problem with getting hit a bit.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
To be fair, Columbus leads the league in points percentage. But yeah, it is pretty crazy the discrepancy between conferences is so extreme so far.

Was going to post this so might as well quote it. If not for less games played Columbus would probably be leading the league in points.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Was going to post this so might as well quote it. If not for less games played Columbus would probably be leading the league in points.

tumblr_no65puVzaA1qiaxzfo2_250.gif

:sarcasm:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Third period is halfway in Philly@Dallas, and there's been only 2min penalty for Philly for too many men, and fighting majors for Spezza and Manning. Wonder how often does games go without personal minors.

edit: Dallas takes penalty with 3min remaining

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
From the main boards. Maroon is an Oiler but regardless this definitely is worth watching

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Cool! Good for that dirty Oiler.

While we're pumping Oily tires I am a big fan of Louis DeBrusk's commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad