Around the NHL Discussion Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
You think Kyrou have better NHL career then DeBrincat? In Blues HF were many posters vocal about that DeBrincat will be good player and only his size demoted him to 2nd round pick, with more hight he would go around ~15 pick.
I think Kyrou could be better than DeBrincat eventually. You really never know. DeBrincat is doing well for the Hawks and they seem to have found a real player, but who really knows where their careers are going to go. I don't see DeBrincat as YEARS or WORLDS better than Kyrou. I seem him as more of an urgent need for the Hawks to be playing than Kyrou in St. Louis.

Reactions: simon in canada

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think the Blues amateur scouting dept has earned the benefit of the doubt, no? Before the Fabbri injury there was a lot of consternation on the Hawks board about taking Schmaltz instead of him. Hell, even with the injury I’d probably still take Fabbri.
Eh, if I knew Fabbri would blow out his ACL twice in the first three years of his career, I'd take Schmaltz. We have no idea what Fabbri's going to be when he gets back. If they're both healthy I want Fabbri 100% of the time. He's simply the better player.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think Kyrou could be better than DeBrincat eventually. You really never know. DeBrincat is doing well for the Hawks and they seem to have found a real player, but who really knows where their careers are going to go. I don't see DeBrincat as YEARS or WORLDS better than Kyrou. I seem him as more of an urgent need for the Hawks to be playing than Kyrou in St. Louis.
Bingo! Well said.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Yeah, we are lucky we aren't in the Hawks shoes. If we weren't as deep as we are we might have to throw Kyrou in the lineup. Who knows...He might have 10 goals by now, but I'm glad we have the ability to allow players to develop. Chicago no longer has that option. They will have to throw every ELC they get from now on in the lineup until they can rid themselves of some of those contracts. DA has done a good job of addressing areas of need in the draft as our contracts end. We have picks staggered for years to come that always seem to be ready to step in as one is up and leaving.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Comparing Kyrou and Debrincat is like comparing apples and oranges. Debrincat is a shooter, has been throughout Juniors and still today. Kyrou is and I think will be long term a balanced player that will lean more towards playmaking. He is like a poorman's Schwartz. Over the past 4 drafts, I think it is pretty evident that Bill Armstrong sides heavily on a prospect's skating ability. If Kyrou didn't have that advantage I could have seen the Blues take the gamble on Alex.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Comparing Kyrou and Debrincat is like comparing apples and oranges. Debrincat is a shooter, has been throughout Juniors and still today. Kyrou is and I think will be long term a balanced player that will lean more towards playmaking. He is like a poorman's Schwartz. Over the past 4 drafts, I think it is pretty evident that Bill Armstrong sides heavily on a prospect's skating ability. If Kyrou didn't have that advantage I could have seen the Blues take the gamble on Alex.
I mean they're still fruit....

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I really don't think they would have.

The Blues have never in their history drafted a skater listed at less than 5'10'' in the first three rounds. (They did draft two goalies listed at 5'9'' in the top 3 rounds in '75 and '68, and a goalie listed at 5'8'' in '71.) We know that they empirically draft fewer small players than other organizations in the upper rounds, and have heard them say publicly they have overlooked talented players (like Panarin) because they were "small."

I think there's approximately zero chance that the Blues had DeBrincat at a place on their draft board where he could have conceivably been drafted by this organization. That's not necessarily a criticism, as far as this specific set of circumstances goes. I just think it's the reality of the situation that the Blues aren't generally interested in spending a draft pick in the top 3 rounds on a guy that's under 5'10'', much less one that's listed at 5'7''.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Dallas recalled Mike McKenna this morning. Apparently Lehtonen is out indefinitely for "personal reasons", meaning that both of Dallas' goalies in the next game will be St. Louis natives. That's pretty freaking cool.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It really is pretty amazing how far St. Louis hockey has come in the last decade or so. It used to be a select few throughout the league, now it seems like they're everywhere. AAA Blues are just a phenomenal organization. I love it.

Reactions: OSA

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It’s still pretty early in the year with only being a quarter of the way through the year but man, looking at the standings, the home records of everyone in the Central are ridiculous. Home ice might actually matter this year.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I just read the Athletic's article on Burns, and while I knew that he does not yet have a goal this season, incredibly, he does not even have a primary assist.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I just read the Athletic's article on Burns, and while I knew that he does not yet have a goal this season, incredibly, he does not even have a primary assist.

$8M/year through ‘24-‘25. Disaster of a contract for San Jose. I expect Burns to come crashing back to Earth and never again be mentioned in the Norris conversation...unless the conversation is around the ‘unlikeliest Norris winners of All-Time’.

Granted his Norris season was impressive, but it will likely prove to be mere lightning in a bottle. He’s always been a lousy defender in his own zone and if his offense starts fades he’s of little value. If he’s not already mentioned among the leagues worst contracts, I imagine that he soon will be.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
$8M/year through ‘24-‘25. Disaster of a contract for San Jose. I expect Burns to come crashing back to Earth and never again be mentioned in the Norris conversation...unless the conversation is around the ‘unlikeliest Norris winners of All-Time’.

Granted his Norris season was impressive, but it will likely prove to be mere lightning in a bottle. He’s always been a lousy defender in his own zone and if his offense starts fades he’s of little value. If he’s not already mentioned among the leagues worst contracts, I imagine that he soon will be.
Burns also won the Norris due to his explosive first half-ish of the season. He cooled the hell off the second half, but his numbers were already too good to deny.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Burns had no business winning the Norris last year. People still (incorrectly in my opinion) trash Karlsson's defensive zone play, and he's substantially better defensively than Burns. Burns is straight garbage at one on one defending and without the puck.

Frankly the fact that Victor Hedman didn't win the Norris last year is a travesty. The guy was only 4 points behind Burns while playing truly elite defense. I hate what the Norris has become.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Frankly the fact that Victor Hedman didn't win the Norris last year is a travesty. The guy was only 4 points behind Burns while playing truly elite defense. I hate what the Norris has become.

Agree 100%. It is beyond me why they can't create an award for most points by a defensemen. Call it the Orr Award and be done with it. Once Lidstrom Retired, The consistency of how that award has been given has been embarrassing.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Agree 100%. It is beyond me why they can't create an award for most points by a defensemen. Call it the Orr Award and be done with it. Once Lidstrom Retired, The consistency of how that award has been given has been embarrassing.

Doughty had a much better season than Karlsson when he won it, but because Karlsson scored more, he was "robbed". Hedman vastly outplayed the competition last year on both sides but because Burns had the goals and flash, it was awarded to him. The Norris has almost become a joke.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
After his super hot start, Ovechkin has 3g/6a in the last month of play. I thought he was back to the usual 50g OV with the start to the season, but thats not exactly panning out.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
After his super hot start, Ovechkin has 3g/6a in the last month of play. I thought he was back to the usual 50g OV with the start to the season, but thats not exactly panning out.
That team is not very good. Talk about crash and burn. They arent a case of flying under the radar either. They genuinely dont look good. Their defense reminds me of vomit....

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The Blues have never in their history drafted a skater listed at less than 5'10'' in the first three rounds. (They did draft two goalies listed at 5'9'' in the top 3 rounds in '75 and '68, and a goalie listed at 5'8'' in '71.) We know that they empirically draft fewer small players than other organizations in the upper rounds, and have heard them say publicly they have overlooked talented players (like Panarin) because they were "small."
How much does this matter in terms of history? I imagine you would have to look at this draft team (ie the Armstrongs) and this ownership. And then look at how many players are actually coming out that size worth drafting. It's a minute level analysis.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I just wanted to point out that the Vancouver fan that is haunted by the Blues and goes out of his way to say negative things is 17 years old per his profile. I know I wouldn't entertain that kind of long thoughtful argument with my 17 year old son, but I wouldn't be surprised if he antagonized a board full of people just for kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad