Around the NHL Discussion Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Gerard Gallant doesn’t get the praise he deserves IMO. Early candidate for Jack Adams (as long as they keep getting stellar goaltending).

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm a big fan of Gallant and think he's a really underrated coach, but I don't see any way that can continue this way. They've had an pretty soft and favorable schedule to start with, including playing six of the first eight at home. They've also, in my opinion, gotten some pretty favorable officiating. Plus, I think they whole team has been playing with the buzz that comes from being in a new city. But the biggest reason by far is they've gotten some unsustainable goaltending. We all know what Fleury can do, but I find it very hard to believe Subban and Dansk could keep up this level of play over an entire season, particularly Dansk. From the games I've seen, they've been getting owned in terms of 0ffensive chances and that will always catch up with a team sooner or later.

The Knights are obviously the most talented expansion team the league has seen but I just don't see this team making the playoffs. Looking at that lineup top to bottom, they'll get exposed eventually. The top six is adequate, but that bottom six is garbage. And their defense is medicore at best.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm going to preface this by saying I'm a big fan of Gallant and think he's a really underrated coach, but I don't see any way that can continue this way. They've had an pretty soft and favorable schedule to start with, including playing six of the first eight at home. They've also, in my opinion, gotten some pretty favorable officiating. Plus, I think they whole team has been playing with the buzz that comes from being in a new city. But the biggest reason by far is they've gotten some unsustainable goaltending. We all know what Fleury can do, but I find it very hard to believe Subban and Dansk could keep up this level of play over an entire season, particularly Dansk. From the games I've seen, they've been getting owned in terms of 0ffensive chances and that will always catch up with a team sooner or later.

The Knights are obviously the most talented expansion team the league has seen but I just don't see this team making the playoffs. Looking at that lineup top to bottom, they'll get exposed eventually. The top six is adequate, but that bottom six is garbage. And their defense is medicore at best.

I'll admit I'm surprised with their start, but I have to agree with your points. I don't see them being able to keep up that extremely demanding pace over the course of a whole season. I wonder if them being a new team and no real video to watch to prepare for their style has anything to do with it? I think as time goes on some of the weak tendencies will be exploited. The real test will be when they lose a couple in a row or go on a stretch where they are sub .500 over a series of games. Right now they are beaming with confidence, much like a team that gets hot right as the playoffs start.

On a side note, I hopped into the Blackhawks board to check out their game thread for the Vegas game. A lot of worry over there. Most of their regular posters are pretty much in agreement that the club is in decline. Good news for us Blues fans.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Im happy they are building a fanbase in LV, but on FB the hype is insane. People honestly talking about cup finals. Enjoy the success but its not sustainable.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Russian friends how does Vladimir Tkachyov played in KHL and does he have any interest to come NHL and does he really have ability to play top6 role in NHL or bottom tier forward?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=77117
According to the link, he is under contract to Ak Bars Kazan this season and next, so this is really a question better asked in the summer of 2019.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Kudos to Vegas. Last year I adopted a team to track besides the Blues. That was the Preds. This year I'm tracking the Golden Knights. I hope they kick everybody's butt sans the Blues.

Reactions: 2 Minute Minor

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Awesome article about how crappy the Chicago D has been this year in the Athletic today. I'll pay good money to read about how much Chicago sucks.

Yeah, I've been reading some of Chicago's threads. Most of the non-homer guys over there pretty much agree that their window is closed and that the early success they had this season was due to playing teams on back to backs, weak teams, etc. Now that many in their core are on the down slope and they are unable to address it due to cap issues, they are about to fall off a cliff. Those long term "lock up" contracts were great at the time when they were top of the league, not so much now that they can't move them to address positions of need.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Seeing the Hawks getting crushed is hilarious. Love it, especially with it being the Avs that are doing it.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If the Avs win tonight there will be a four way tie for 2nd in the division with the final two teams only being two points behind them.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
blues are starting to create some separation in the division

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I feel bad for Eichel. He seems to be the only player on that team that truly cares and wants to win at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad