OT: Around the NHL: Countdown to the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My guess is that we get to the ECF and lose in 7 to Tampa. I don't fear anyone in the Metro and I think we'll win the Division. Get Columbus or NJD, then get Philadelphia and beat them.

As I pointed out McCurdy's models are not especially impressed with TB. They currently have a full eight teams with better chances at the cup, and a total of a dozen with as good or better chance. Washington and Pittsburgh have the best chances according to his models. He updates them often, daily during the playoffs, but as of now those are his model's predictions.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
As I pointed out McCurdy's models are not especially impressed with TB. They currently have a full eight teams with better chances at the cup, and a total of a dozen with as good or better chance. Washington and Pittsburgh have the best chances according to his models. He updates them often, daily during the playoffs, but as of now those are his model's predictions.

I think the biggest problem for Tampa Bay is the same that Nashville had in the Finals, their center depth.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
My guess is that we get to the ECF and lose in 7 to Tampa. I don't fear anyone in the Metro and I think we'll win the Division. Get Columbus or NJD, then get Philadelphia and beat them.

Either Atlantic team: Bos or TB will be difficult outs if we get to the ECF

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens and Washington are given almost twice the chance of TB of winning the cup.

I’d certainly rather play Minnesota or San Jose again than deal with the corny Nashville hysteria a second time. Not sure how likely that really is though..

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Interesting... I suppose Tampa could have a tougher path to the final.

Maybe part of it, but from what I have read Micah puts a lot into his models including I am fairly sure that I had read analytics on individual players for each team. I do know that he is constantly fiddling with his models each year and has become more accurate with each passing year.

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They’re both tough. Tampa may have the slight edge in offense but Boston can smack you in the mouth and still score at will...

Yep. BOS scares me a lot more than TB, and imo they’re a tougher matchup for us....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yep. BOS scares me a lot more than TB, and imo they’re a tougher matchup for us....

Same. I think it comes down to strengths and weaknesses of the Pens.

With Tampa, it's basically going to be which team can outscore the other. I feel like if the Pens are at their best, they have a chance to outscore the Lightning.

With Boston, you'll have to defend better than them. They'll give up less scoring chances than Tampa will, so the Pens can't afford to be sloppy defensively against them because the offense can't compensate like it could against a more leaky Tampa defense.

Reactions: Andy99

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maybe part of it, but from what I have read Micah puts a lot into his models including I am fairly sure that I had read analytics on individual players for each team. I do know that he is constantly fiddling with his models each year and has become more accurate with each passing year.

Yeah, but the Bolts are known for their high end talent. Maybe some of their other players are that bad. Their defense was a weakness for them against the Pens in the ECF that year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Same. I think it comes down to strengths and weaknesses of the Pens.

With Tampa, it's basically going to be which team can outscore the other. I feel like if the Pens are at their best, they have a chance to outscore the Lightning.

With Boston, you'll have to defend better than them. They'll give up less scoring chances than Tampa will, so the Pens can't afford to be sloppy defensively against them because the offense can't compensate like it could against a more leaky Tampa defense.

I’m curious because Boston with their injuries may actually be the best team to face in the ECF.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I know John Scott wishes the fans voted on awards
Have you seen some of the posts just from this 1 message board? 1 guy says Pens fanbase has said Cooke is not a dirty player, I don't want people like that voting. Hell I don't want people who dislike a player snub him that actually deserves an award.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah, but the Bolts are known for their high end talent. Maybe some of their other players are that bad. Their defense was a weakness for them against the Pens in the ECF that year.

Kunitz was there!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Have you seen some of the posts just from this 1 message board? 1 guy says Pens fanbase has said Cooke is not a dirty player, I don't want people like that voting. Hell I don't want people who dislike a player snub him that actually deserves an award.

I love Cooke he was so fun to watch, but c'mon... who in their right mind would think he wasn't a dirty player. Cooke even admitted his issues. So anyone who said he wasn't dirty kind of has no idea what they are talking about.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
When you don't score on a PP - you want 6 shots. :laugh: They have 1 powerplay and 15 seconds of another one and like 9 shots. (Bruins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad