OT: Around the NHL: Countdown to the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Boston looks REALLY good....probably the toughest match in the league for any team. So many weapons.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Woa, wait a minute. Watching the Boston feed, they just mentioned the standings would change with a 3 point system... did I miss something?
Are they dropping the loser point, which is very stupid IMO (to keep).
No the winner gets 3. OT loser gets 1 still.
Is this a rule change coming that I heard nothing about?

Last edited:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Woa, wait a minute. Watching the Boston feed, they just mentioned the standings would change with a 3 point system... did I miss something?
Could be some noise coming from the GM meeting going on in Florida right now. Or it could just be Jack Edwards talking shit

Reactions: shoplifter

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I was alright with Boston being pretty damn mediocre before all their prospects became quality NHLers at once.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Boston looks REALLY good....probably the toughest match in the league for any team. So many weapons.

Scary good.

I was alright with Boston being pretty damn mediocre before all their prospects became quality NHLers at once.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. They had such an average start to the season, been on absolute fire since November.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. They had such an average start to the season, been on absolute fire since November.

On the other hand.. not sure how sustainable Marchand and Krug’s production is but maybe they’re all just late bloomers, I don’t know.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boston/CBJ could be a hell of a 7 game series. I think Boston would win, but CBJ is a team that matches decently with Boston.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I still say our boys stand little to no chance vs Boston.

Think they can beat TB. Will be incredibly difficult, but I would feel much better seeing TB.

They definitely have a chance. If Crosby wakes up and Murray plays well anything can happen.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still say our boys stand little to no chance vs Boston.

Think they can beat TB. Will be incredibly difficult, but I would feel much better seeing TB.

I think Boston is our worst matchup, but man that defense is not dominant. Their offense helping out would make it for a frustrating series. I honestly think people are falling for that 2013 team with horror stories of DB being the coach.

I think Boston is a solid team, but I don't get a "omg we have to avoid them at all costs" vibe. They match up well against us but I honestly think that's a 50/50 coin flip series. I think people feel they are a defensive team and they really aren't anymore. They are a good all around team.

Reactions: Turin and BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Remember when everyone thought Boston was nuts for that Hamilton trade?

There was method to that madness. We all thought Sweeney to be a fool, but he actually had a plan. Which is funny when you consider he was once lumped into the Three Amigo's of Idiots with Benning and Chia.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Could be some noise coming from the GM meeting going on in Florida right now. Or it could just be Jack Edwards talking ****

There is a GM meeting going on? Well... that answers half the question. GM's do run the league.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

I mean...we are talking a league who cant design logical division/conference alignments and screwed up playoff seeding..im sure they are discussing more policy changes...

Personally I like:
3 for regulation win
2 for ot/so win...to encourage teams to win in regulation
1 ot/so loser because you almost won #participationtrophies lol lol

Basically makes ot/so undesireable rather than the current desirable 50-50 chance at a win and therefore max game points of 2 or a not so distant 1 for a loss.

A team winning in regulation REALLY would put distance on a division rival ot loser after just two games:6 pts to 2 pts which is a win+at least ot loss to tie whereas today it'd be 4pts to 2pts...just one win by the trailing team to tie up.

I'd imagine it would remove playoff nailbiting and "parity" of making playoffs-so no way NHL really revamps to put emphasis on regulation wins. The 3x3 and SO circus is good for ratings, eh? Plus...They want every team getting equalish points to stay in the race so every city and every fanbase stays tuned in and buying sweaters.

Reactions: shoplifter

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If the Pens make themselves extremely slow intentionally and then change the system to stretch pass-onlyism, then I’ll think they don’t have a chance against Boston. As it stands right now it’d probably be really close.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
CBJ, Florida, Devils -my lord what a race at the end. There is zero separation happening and everyone is winning. Hell even the Pens have to keep winning :laugh: Ridiculous.

CBJ up 4 -3.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I mean...we are talking a league who cant design logical division/conference alignments and screwed up playoff seeding..im sure they are discussing more policy changes...

Personally I like:
3 for regulation win
2 for ot/so win...to encourage teams to win in regulation
1 ot/so loser because you almost won #participationtrophies lol lol

Basically makes ot/so undesireable rather than the current desirable 50-50 chance at a win and therefore max game points of 2 or a not so distant 1 for a loss.

A team winning in regulation REALLY would put distance on a division rival ot loser after just two games:6 pts to 2 pts which is a win+at least ot loss to tie whereas today it'd be 4pts to 2pts...just one win by the trailing team to tie up.

I'd imagine it would remove playoff nailbiting and "parity" of making playoffs-so no way NHL really revamps. They want every team in the race so every city and every fanbase stays tuned in and buying sweaters.

Hey, the NHL was ahead of it's time with the participation point, lol.

Yeah, they did really screw up the playoff seeding. They think that teams are equally strong in each division and can force undeserving teams into higher playoff chances. Stupid.

This Boston game is wild stuff. I can't wait for 3 weeks and get the playoffs rolling.

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you are a hockey fan. It's time to take this all in. We have amazing playoff races, Art Ross chases, Rocket race is awesome. It's a great time to be an NHL fan.

Reactions: SirBrad

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If you are a hockey fan. It's time to take this all in. We have amazing playoff races, Art Ross chases, Rocket race is awesome. It's a great time to be an NHL fan.

I’m really only a Penguins fan.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009

It's always a good time to try to recruit non-fans, or casual fans as well.

Don't know how you can't find excitement in the game this time of the year. Every day it's something to see. This isn't the NFL.

Reactions: ColePens

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

And it's not 1-0 or 2-1 scores, which I hate besides playoffs or certain defensive battles.

I haven't been paying this much attention to what you mentioned in a long awhile, outside of the seedings and playoff matchups, I always follow that this time of year.

It is a great year though you betcha!

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad