Around the NHL 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think Duchene to Dallas is a good low-risk, high-reward move for them but I still don't trust their defense. It is way too thin as it is, and they've already lost Miller this offseason, someone who I thought made their 3rd pair much better.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Duchene to Dallas is a good low-risk, high-reward move for them but I still don't trust their defense. It is way too thin as it is, and they've already lost Miller this offseason, someone who I thought made their 3rd pair much better.
I think watch our for Harley. He might even be their #2 defenseman as soon as next season. Then they've got a monster coming soon in Lian Bischel who is going to give us headaches for years. They do need Lindell and Hakanpaa to get back to their usual selves, though.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Wow. After seeing this, I’m not sure I’d want a trade for Nylander. Not sure I’d like that salary for that long.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Would you welcome Tarasenko? Per Eklund we are in the running...imagine.....

Forsberg- ROR- Tarasenko
Parsinnen-Novak-Evangelista
Nyquist-Glass-Tomasino
Trenin-Sissons-Smith/Sherwood/Warm Body

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tarasenko isn’t the player he used to be, but I guess I wouldn’t complain too loudly if we signed him for just 1 year. But it could only be for 1 year.

It doesn’t sound like what Trotz was originally thinking though. He made it pretty clear he wasn’t planning to fill up Cap space just because we have it. The goal really is to see how the young players perform in top roles. So why take one of those roles away from them?

I figure there are only 2 possible sources for this rumor: 1) some rumormonger started looking for which teams actually have Cap space and we’re one of the only teams - most likely! Or 2) maybe O’Reilly asked Trotz to take a look due to their past connections.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I like Tarasenko, and I would be more than happy to give him a shot. ROR would be the lure. Why not?

People are down on this team, but if the defense is run correctly, it can be elite. The forwards aren't "bad". They just need better center depth. If the kids take a step forward, ROR returns to form, you have an average to slightly below average forward corps. Probably below average, but if you pair it with elite goaltending and defense: You can win. You need the little things to click, though. You need special team success, cohesion, and your stars doing what stars do: excel in the system the team has them in, win games in that system.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
To me Tarasenko is a guy you go get at that deadline if the kids have been playing well and you think you could do more than just get swept in the 1st round.

Definitely not a player I would commit much too.

Reactions: Viqsi and PredsV82

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Signing Tarasenko seems like a FOMO type move. I know little about his character and work ethic so no idea if he fits that model that trotz is looking for, he would definitely push one of the talented kids down the lineup not just push out Smith or Jankowski, and maybe create an inflated sense of where the team is competitively leading to other ill advised moves.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If he’s affordable and will sign for one year, I wouldn’t be averse to signing Tarasenko and putting him on the third line with high power play use. Then flip him at the deadline.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tarasenko is probably in a similar situation to those guys like Domi, Duchene, Bertuzzi, Klingberg... he'll sign somewhere for just 1 year, betting on a big raise in the Cap next year. But that means he wants icetime, he wants PP time, all that to pump up his stats. It just doesn't feel like a fit to what we're trying to do. We want our young players getting that opportunity instead.

Getting another 2nd round pick at the Trade Deadline just isn't enough incentive to derail that plan (and probably spend at least $4M doing so).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
To me Tarasenko is a guy you go get at that deadline if the kids have been playing well and you think you could do more than just get swept in the 1st round.

Definitely not a player I would commit much too.

On the other hand, you could sign him to a 1 year and flip him at the deadline if things aren’t going well. Why wait?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Because he will occupy a spot we want someone like Evangelista to occupy?

Yeah this is where it gets tough for me. I’d like to see Evangelista (or whichever youngster) play but I’d also like to win. Guess we’ll just sit back and see how it plays out. Maybe both can happen, right? Evangelista plays and we win? It just seems to me that Tarasenko would likely improve the roster this season…. If he can actually play.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah this is where it gets tough for me. I’d like to see Evangelista (or whichever youngster) play but I’d also like to win. Guess we’ll just sit back and see how it plays out. Maybe both can happen, right? Evangelista plays and we win? It just seems to me that Tarasenko would likely improve the roster this season…. If he can actually play.
If we don't give Evangelista and Tomasino top 6 spots this year then we are defeating the purpose of the youth movement. If Tarasenko comes here and plays well it robs one of them of a year of development. If he comes here and can't play, we can't flip him for anything at the deadline. So better to just forget him

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

If we don't give Evangelista and Tomasino top 6 spots this year then we are defeating the purpose of the youth movement. If Tarasenko comes here and plays well it robs one of them of a year of development. If he comes here and can't play, we can't flip him for anything at the deadline. So better to just forget him
Pros and cons either way for sure. Trotz just needs to decide if he's sticking fully with the youth movement or if he's going to hedge his bets and pick up a guy like Tarasenko.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Pros and cons either way for sure. Trotz just needs to decide if he's sticking fully with the youth movement or if he's going to hedge his bets and pick up a guy like Tarasenko.

Yeah I get both sides of this. To be honest I’m just completely torn on which way I’d rather the team go and it’s driving me nuts. At this point I should probably just look away, show up in October, and hope for the best. I have plenty of other ‘real life’ things to worry about.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah I get both sides of this. To be honest I’m just completely torn on which way I’d rather the team go and it’s driving me nuts. At this point I should probably just look away, show up in October, and hope for the best. I have plenty of other ‘real life’ things to worry about.
Haha, yeah, that's probably best.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Are we not going for 3 scoring lines instead of the traditional top 6. Even signing tarasenko you still have the spots for our top prospects like tomasino and evangelista

Forsberg glass Evangelista
Tomasino O’Reilly Senko
Novak Parssinen Nyquist

I’d say that could be a solid playoff type forward group

Tarasenko was dealing with some injuries last year and still got 50 points in 69 games. The year before he got 84 points. He can still play.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Are we not going for 3 scoring lines instead of the traditional top 6. Even signing tarasenko you still have the spots for our top prospects like tomasino and evangelista

Forsberg glass Evangelista
Tomasino O’Reilly Senko
Novak Parssinen Nyquist

I’d say that could be a solid playoff type forward group

Tarasenko was dealing with some injuries last year and still got 50 points in 69 games. The year before he got 84 points. He can still play.
Who knows what we are doing. New coach, new GM and don't think anything has been stated one way or the other.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Who knows what we are doing. New coach, new GM and don't think anything has been stated one way or the other.
You would think since we don’t have elite forwards and a true number 1 line we would roll out 3 scoring lines and have a shut down line. I guess we’ll see but I don’t mind adding another forward like tarasenko

Reactions: LCPreds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad