Around the NHL 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They kind of have both Clarke and Spence on the cusp. They do need at least one more legit NHL d-man, probably a LHD.

Geez, did Montreal really give a 1st and a 2nd + for a center with a career high of 33 points (on that Avs team?) with a career faceoff % of 38.5? Sounds about right for them actually. Everybody helping the Avs out.
They see Moverare and Bjornfot as ready also on LD. So if they do plan to do D on the cheap, they have the bodies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No offense to Viqsi but living and playing in LA is a drastically different scenario than doing so in Columbus or Winnipeg. I think he'll be fine.
He pretty much hand-picked his destination this time, so he had better not complain.

I wouldn't have taken him as a UFA on this new contract, tbh, never mind the trade pieces. That's quite the payday for a guy who has maxed 63 pts.

1687913774712.png

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think he is trading up for a center or trading for a center if it is at all possible . Prepare for an expensive trade.

I EXPECT, nothing. I WANT TO BELIEVE, Duchene, Sissons goes, Preds trade up to get Michkov or whoever falls at #5.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I just have a feeling we're gonna trade up into the top 5. Just a gut thing.
I have still never heard of a version of that trade scenario that makes sense TO BOTH TEAMS yet.

I can see the trade up to #11 with Vancouver scenario. And that might let us get Danielson if a center is that precious to us, or at least let us pick our favorite of the remaining bunch of wingers-with-flaws.

But I just can't picture how moving into the top 5 would happen.

If we do I just hope it happens at the draft. I’ll appreciate the extra drama and will pay for another $15 drink if they do.
Oh for sure they'd wait and announce it on the floor. I think you just ought to keep that "emergency drink" at your seat at all times anyway. You can use it in celebration if they trade up to 5. You could use it in dismay if they give up too much. Or in dismay even at #15 if they go off the board, etc. It's multi-purpose. You need it on hand either way.

Reactions: LCPreds

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Let's say Trotz figures out how to get into the top 5 (I'll believe it when I see it, but anyway) and Michkov is the target. Now, I'm a big Michkov fan. I understand the timeline concerns but on top of that it feels like the hockey world has collectively forgotten that this kid is a well scouted generational type talent whose play has done nothing to dissuade or put that evaluation into question. So suffice it to say I would love to see the Preds somehow draft him and I believe he'll be worth the wait.

Having said that. What are the corresponding moves to get a contending team built around him by roughly the time he makes it to the NHL? Presumably getting into position to get him will be expensive, and the current "core" doesn't really fit age-wise, though that core is morphing rapidly.

Would the cost to move up essentially throw the re-tool into the dreaded rebuild, or can we have our cake and eat it too?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'll be interested to see if anyone drops back and what the real price will be. I expect it will be stiff but I also don't think it will be nearly as bad as some of the thoughts we've seen around here. Some people seem to be thinking Lindros level of asks for a 2nd or 3rd pick and that's silly on all fronts outside of maybe Bedard.

Let's say Trotz figures out how to get into the top 5 (I'll believe it when I see it, but anyway) and Michkov is the target. Now, I'm a big Michkov fan. I understand the timeline concerns but on top of that it feels like the hockey world has collectively forgotten that this kid is a well scouted generational type talent whose play has done nothing to dissuade or put that evaluation into question. So suffice it to say I would love to see the Preds somehow draft him and I believe he'll be worth the wait.

Having said that. What are the corresponding moves to get a contending team built around him by roughly the time he makes it to the NHL? Presumably getting into position to get him will be expensive, and the current "core" doesn't really fit age-wise, though that core is morphing rapidly.

Would the cost to move up essentially throw the re-tool into the dreaded rebuild, or can we have our cake and eat it too?
I think people really need to stop worrying about the current core. No matter what we do they will be in the old or gone category by the time we really start making the push.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'll be interested to see if anyone drops back and what the real price will be. I expect it will be stiff but I also don't think it will be nearly as bad as some of the thoughts we've seen around here. Some people seem to be thinking Lindros level of asks for a 2nd or 3rd pick and that's silly on all fronts outside of maybe Bedard.

I don't think any of the top 4 picks are even at risk of being traded back. Like, if you even contacted those teams to ask, they'd be like "naw, we're good" and it wouldn't even get to the point of listing out the assets it would take.

#5 seems to be the only pick where things might even be possible and a list of assets would even be compiled?
:dunno:

I think people really need to stop worrying about the current core. No matter what we do they will be in the old or gone category by the time we really start making the push.
I mean, we have Josi and Forsberg for 5 and 7 years respectively. So I sure hope we are pushing long before they are gone. My timeline would be just 1 "find out what we have with the kids" season in 2023-24. Maybe we make the playoffs, probably not. But then after next season, a steady progression up the ranks. In the playoffs for certain in 2024-25, then winning rounds in 2025-26. If Trotz can't accomplish that with the pick capital and Cap space he has, then I will be very disappointed.

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think any of the top 4 picks are even at risk of being traded back. Like, if you even contacted those teams to ask, they'd be like "naw, we're good" and it wouldn't even get to the point of listing out the assets it would take.

#5 seems to be the only pick where things might even be possible and a list of assets would even be compiled?
:dunno:

I mean, we have Josi and Forsberg for 5 and 7 years respectively. So I sure hope we are pushing long before they are gone. My timeline would be just 1 "find out what we have with the kids" season in 2023-24. Maybe we make the playoffs, probably not. But then after next season, a steady progression up the ranks. In the playoffs for certain in 2024-25, then winning rounds in 2025-26. If Trotz can't accomplish that with the pick capital and Cap space he has, then I will be very disappointed.
You missed a word, old. Josi and Forsberg will be in the old category by then.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Yeah Colton is a guy I would've liked to see on the Preds. Just a solid player and one that goes to the dirty areas. A tidy piece of work from the juggernaut in our division.

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
I won’t complain.
I won't either. But the price is going to be steep. Along the lines of the two firsts they have today, a 2024 2nd, a 2025 1st, and Tomasino or Evanelista. If it is Michkov at 5, there will have to be delayed gratification since he won't be over here for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad