Around the NHL 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Last Post from @hockey diva

The Stadium Series game yesterday was darn near perfect. Great weather, lots of tailgating, good production. They had the NC State band, dance team and cheerleaders participating. The band did the stoppage and tv timeout music. So much better than the country wannabes we had year. The only snafu was the traffic. Apparently, despite having years to plan, there was no traffic control plan. It was ridiculous. Hat tip to the Canes fans for a good show.

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well Shea Weber has made his inevitable arrival in Arizona.

I guess they are gearing up for next season's Tank... I hear it is one that can drive on the floor of the ocean! (Once they trade Chychryn and who knows how many other contracts, meeting the Cap Floor is going to take some doing!)

1677099615934.png

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24 and weeze

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Poor Craig Smith getting kicked off the Cup favorites.

Pretty good return for the Caps I would say. Like us they are still within striking distance for the playoffs but have been uninspiring coming out of the break. Granted we don’t have any UFAs but an interesting comparison.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Poor Craig Smith getting kicked off the Cup favorites.

Pretty good return for the Caps I would say. Like us they are still within striking distance for the playoffs but have been uninspiring coming out of the break. Granted we don’t have any UFAs but an interesting comparison.
Lavy must really have missed Smith...

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Pekka is no longer the last to do it, Ullmark scored a goal tonight.

Pekka's was better, he was against the boards behind the net, Ullmark was out above the crease, near the f/o circle (might have even been in the circle, I only saw it once).

Also, how weird that in Boston's entire franchise history, this was the first goalie goal and we've already had two!

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Pekka is no longer the last to do it, Ullmark scored a goal tonight.

Pekka's was better, he was against the boards behind the net, Ullmark was out above the crease, near the f/o circle (might have even been in the circle, I only saw it once).

Also, how weird that in Boston's entire franchise history, this was the first goalie goal and we've already had two!
Hang the banner!

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Dammit Leafs not helping tank the Oil out of the playoffs and into the lottery

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That’s a giant contract but he’s also a top 10 player in the league and that’s the type of contract those guys get.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I disagree.

Lots of people think the cap is about to explode as will contracts. I think this is very probable.
Paying off the covid escrow is the only thing that has kept the cap flat but revenue has been increasing, right? I thought that's what I heard anyway. Seems like once that escrow is paid there should be a significant jump.

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I disagree.

Lots of people think the cap is about to explode as will contracts. I think this is very probable.
I heard cap was going to explode then covid happened. Wonder if league might try and keep cap down so the floor stays low enough for arizona to not bave to spend alot of actual money until they get a new arena home

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Paying off the covid escrow is the only thing that has kept the cap flat but revenue has been increasing, right? I thought that's what I heard anyway. Seems like once that escrow is paid there should be a significant jump.
That’s been my understanding but the Bally Sports bankruptcy evidently might damper those expectations some.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I heard cap was going to explode then covid happened. Wonder if league might try and keep cap down so the floor stays low enough for arizona to not bave to spend alot of actual money until they get a new arena home
They can't keep it low artificially. The math and the books have to add up.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Yeah, if the cap goes up to the 86-88 million range next year and then again to 90-92 the following year.....I mean, you are looking at a substantial increase 10-15% increase in 2 years.

Those top end guys are already underpaid. You will see salaries explode.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, if the cap goes up to the 86-88 million range next year and then again to 90-92 the following year.....I mean, you are looking at a substantial increase 10-15% increase in 2 years.

And those stars getting paid now for the next 5-8 years will get passed over by newer players. NHL does not allow restructuring of contracts like some sports do they? Could cause some to have bad or hurt feelings.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Arizona gonna need more LTIR if that happens. Maybe they will take Joeys contract if he cant come back

Edit: also mcdavid's extension.... mad money

Reactions: Enoch

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Actually not from what I have read. The revenue from the last non Covid impacted year was 5.05 billion. The expected revenue from this year is 4.3 billion. That is the reason that the escrow could not be eliminated. The Bally number was not baked in to the 4.3 number according to the release dropping the Bettman projection of a 4 mil increase down to 1 mil. Apparently if league revenue is 3.5 it triggers a 1 mil increase. So they tried to take into consideration the loss of Bally money and the revenue did not meet the threshold of going up 2 mil.

If I recall Bettman made the 4 mil estimate on October 18 and about 4 weeks ago now they realized that revenue was going to be short. It’s not at all certain that there will be more than a 1 mil increase until 25-26. This is bad news for all teams close to the top of the Cap the Preds are in better shape than most now even if they do have a few bloated contracts.

It has not stopped GM’s from spending like drunken sailors though there was a 11.5 contract signed today. Players are worth what they can get. The issue is the cap is stagnant and will be for at least two more years according to what happens with broadcasting rights and revenue from broadcasting. The league diversified markets in to lumps of companies across the states and there is a chance that if Bally wins the bankruptcy at like 50cents on the dollar that others are going to call for renegotiations including the Canadian broadcasters that have reported losing money due to market share and narrowing advertising with much of it moving to ads on the streaming venues.

It is like a perfect storm the cable companies and satellite companies have received a deadly wound but there not dead yet and the streaming revenue is a fraction of what the TV broadcasters have paid. The best you can get from the league is there working on it. And it will probably be two years before it all settles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad