First-round Series Winners

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nice for the Devils that they made it this far, but looking at the lineup I hardly expect them to win a game.

How many guys are really fit for the roles they have in that lineup? I'd say maybe 5.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Going strictly off of Gorton's words, I don't think we need to be worried about Trotz being hired here.

That being said, anything can happen.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
a coach I think would be a very good hire is J Martin from the Pens. He is the brains behind the system and D success of the team. Very low key but he can coach. Raw deal in Montreal and wtf have they won since he left. He is great teacher, knows the system and is a winner.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
a coach I think would be a very good hire is J Martin from the Pens. He is the brains behind the system and D success of the team. Very low key but he can coach. Raw deal in Montreal and wtf have they won since he left. He is great teacher, knows the system and is a winner.
Please no. He was horrible with the Habs.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If we want to win in the playoffs, Trots is NOT the guy you want coaching.

I think having Trotz for 2-3 years to help build a winning foundation would be good. He's was good with young players in Nashville. They went out and got Laviolette and have taken off. We could look at something similar.

Trotz wouldn't be the opposite of AV, and he won't be Torts, but he falls in the middle somewhere, probably closer to Torts than AV. I think that is what Gorton is looking for.

Reactions: TheTakedown

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Trotz is most likely being let go of anyways. I think unless they go crazy deep, they're going to make some huge changes.

Barry Trotz on contract: ‘I’ve been doing this too [expletive] long to worry about it’

- They have Samsonov in the KHL, one of the better goalies in the KHL.
- Grubauer is definitely a solid backup
- They can move on from the older core and move the reigns to guys like Kuznetsov and Burakovsky
- They can start with a fresh coach after this offseason
- They can move Backstrom, Holtby, and Oshie and get some massive returns

OR

They can just hire AV and go balls to the wall on offense and see if that wins them a cup.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's always fun watching fans disagree about the pluses and minuses of coaches. No one has a clue, because it's all about personnel (high-end and depth), hot goaltenders, and luck.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Happy Calvert got the goal from a personal POV, but that probably will drive his price up. He's a guy a few of us have been lobbying for. He's all motor. Similar player to Fast/Callahan.

Trotz has a pretty good track record with younger players. Sometimes it takes a coach a few teams to get over that playoff hump (look at Claude Julien).

Only problem with Trotz is the Shattenkirk comments. I'm not saying that's a dealbreaker, but from management's POV, they could view that as disrespectful.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Other thing with Trotz is that he is 55 years old. Gorton wants a guy who can grow with the team. Doesn't seem like they want to hire a guy for 3 years to develop players, then fire him and bring in yet another new coach.

Seems to me like Gorton is trying to find his Mike Babcock--someone they can build with, not around (which is what AV was).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Happy Calvert got the goal from a personal POV, but that probably will drive his price up. He's a guy a few of us have been lobbying for. He's all motor. Similar player to Fast/Callahan.

Trotz has a pretty good track record with younger players. Sometimes it takes a coach a few teams to get over that playoff hump (look at Claude Julien).

Only problem with Trotz is the Shattenkirk comments. I'm not saying that's a dealbreaker, but from management's POV, they could view that as disrespectful.

I love Calvert but he's going to get a bloated contract for what he brings as players of his ilk always do.

He's really good at what he does though.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If the Capitals lose in the first round, does Trotz get fired? Associate coach Todd Reirden is often talked about as a future head coach. Washington did not let him interview for head coaching positions last summer.
I have a better question. Does Washington even think about blowing it up? I mean, how many times will they win the division and/or Prez trophy only to get knocked out in 2nd round and now maybe even the first. When does this madness end?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have a better question. Does Washington even think about blowing it up? I mean, how many times will they win the division and/or Prez trophy only to get knocked out in 2nd round and now maybe even the first. When does this madness end?

Well Carlson is a UFA this summer so he's probably as good as gone. That's one core player lost already. I think Ovi is a Cap for at least the remainder of his contract, until he's 35. Plus he finished with his highest point total since 2009-2010. So they're in a tricky spot. If you stick with this team there isn't much there compared to Pittsburgh, Tampa or Boston. There's Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Backstrom and then not much else. That Oshie contract is too long but he's actually a good playoff performer for Washington. Maybe Burakovsky/Vrana takes a big step forward next season. At some point Ovechkin will start to irreversibly decline and who will be there to pick up the slack?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I love Calvert but he's going to get a bloated contract for what he brings as players of his ilk always do.

He's really good at what he does though.

He's a guy I wouldn't mind slightly overpaying for a four year deal. Unless Kovalchuk goes Jagr 2005-06 next season, this team is going to need four solid lines to be be competitive. He's the perfect guy to have around to help the team get to the next level; extremely competitive, all motor, excellent PKer, and has some offense in him. Him, Fast, Grabner in the bottom 6 is excellent.....and you never know Fast might get a lot of top six time if he continues to produce with Ziba/Kreider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad