Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Duchene is one of the most overrated players on HFBoards. Almost every reasonable trade proposal on the forums is turned down these days because of the narrative that is following him around.

Its funny how a PPG season 4 years ago can shape narratives this far into the future

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Am I the only one who thinks that Nashville and Jagr make sense? Nashville has the cap room if Jags really is looking for $4 million+. They are a playoff team.

I think he would fit well either in Nashville or Dallas. Playoff contenders that could really use his experience and skill.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think he would fit well either in Nashville or Dallas. Playoff contenders that could really use his experience and skill.

Plus, this happaned

CaAuDlfWIAAcdos.0.jpg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Am I the only one who thinks that Nashville and Jagr make sense? Nashville has the cap room if Jags really is looking for $4 million+. They are a playoff team.

I was listening to the end of year podcast that THN put out and I think it was Ken Campbell who was talking about how Jagr can't keep up with the chaos of playoff hockey. I don't know if that's just his opinion or something he's hearing, but if that's a commonly held opinion among GMs then there would be a lot of wariness for playoff likely teams in signing Jagr.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Devils sign known Ranger killer Drew Stafford. 1yr-800k

**** him and his timely goals! :laugh:

still think the Rangers should bring in Jagr...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Duchene is one of the most overrated players on HFBoards. Almost every reasonable trade proposal on the forums is turned down these days because of the narrative that is following him around.

I'm torn on him.

At times he looks like the 30 goal, 70-75 point player he's shown glimpses of. At other times, I see a 20 goal, 55 point type player. Frankly, I've seen a lot more of the latter in recent years and throughout his young career at this point.

But even if I split the difference and say he's a 25 goal, 60-65 point player on a good team, I'm just not sure how much he raises the play of those around him.

So the question I have to ask, beyond promises of his potential and glimpses of what he's shown in the past, is how much am I willing to pay?

Over the last three seasons, player A has scored .294 goals per game and had a point per game average of .660.

Player B has scored .253 goals per game and had a point per game average of .618.

Player C has scored .249 goals per game and had a point per game average of .738

If all three players play an 82 game season, that means Player A averages 24 goals and 54 points, while Player B averages 21 goals and 51 points and Player C averages 20 goals and 61 points.

Player A is Matt Duchene, at the age of 26, with a bounty of a cost.

Player B is Zibanejad, at the age of 24, acquired for Brassard a year ago.

Player C is Stepan, at the age of 27, recently traded for a 21 year-old former first round pick, and the 7th pick in the draft.

All three guys have question marks.

Zibanejad was continuing his trend up prior to his injury, but has never hit the levels Duchene has. He's the youngest of the three.

Duchene has yo-yo'd a little, but has the history of at least hitting closer to full potential. He is generally seen as having the highest upside of the three.

Stepan has proven a little snake bit with injuries, but has played the most consistent all-around game of the three. He's also the oldest of the three.

The general consensus is that Duchene is the superior player of the three. But based on numbers and age, how much more is he realistically worth?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Devils sign known Ranger killer Drew Stafford. 1yr-800k

**** him and his timely goals! :laugh:

still think the Rangers should bring in Jagr...

I can remember one game where Stafford was good against us and it was 5 years ago when he scored two goals. Otherwise, his production isn't any better against us than it is anyone else.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I can remember one game where Stafford was good against us and it was 5 years ago when he scored two goals. Otherwise, his production isn't any better against us than it is anyone else.

note: timely goals. not necessarily a total stud. he and Pominville were the worst when it came to putting a dagger in us

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Girardi just bought a house from Lighting GM - so he won`t complain, and 5 bathrooms as well! :)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Girardi just bought a house from Lighting GM - so he won`t complain, and 5 bathrooms as well! :)

I chuckled reading about Yzerman setting his house above market and still selling it high to G. :handclap:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
NHL Network released their Top 20 Defensemen Right Now.

1. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators
  2. Brent Burns, San Jose Sharks
  3. Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
  4. Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning
  5. Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
  6. P.K. Subban, Nashville Predators
  7. Roman Josi, Nashville Predators
  8. Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins
  9. Shea Weber, Montreal Canadiens
  10. Ryan Suter, Minnesota Wild
  11. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes
  12. Dustin Byfuglien, Winnipeg Jets
  13. Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets
  14. Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues
  15. Kevin Shattenkirk, New York Rangers
  16. Dougie Hamilton, Calgary Flames
  17. Ryan McDonagh, New York Rangers
  18. Mark Giordano, Calgary Flames
  19. Ryan Ellis, Nashville Predators
  20. Cam Fowler, Anaheim Ducks

LOL at Werenski being #13. He's not even the best defenseman on his own team.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Strictly production-wise, Werenski had a pretty monstrous year being close to 3 years (2yrs 9 mos) younger than Jones and it essentially being his first year of pro hockey (outside of 7 regular season games+17 playoff AHL games the year before this past season). I'd imagine that played in to it.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach

Its nice to have 2 of our own on that list. Our D should be very good this year.... but hot damn Preds have 3 dmen on there.:amazed:

Also Hamilton is not better then McD. How would Hamilton look if he had to carry Girardi on his back the past 3 seasons?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fowler over Lindholm?

Very nice to have 2 of those guys on that list but there are some guys missing.

Seth Jones and Colton Parayko are the two that pop out immediately. Justin Faulk and a couple of the other guys in Carolina. Keith Yandle, Hjalmersson, Trouba.

A lot of it depends on the type of defenseman and the time of the game but it's nice to see the Rangers have a couple of guys legitimately in that conversation.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Fowler, Weber, Suter, and Ellis making the list is laughable but it's def one of the better ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad