Around the NHL, 2016-2017 Part II

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holtby's been pretty good. The Caps just refuse to play playoff hockey. I know they can, because I've seen them do it for short stretches, mostly when they're on the ropes. Too much hubris on that team.

He has a save % of .882 or lower in 5 of his last 8 starts. He is burying them.

I'm going to have to move from this stupid town.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
He has a save % of .882 or lower in 5 of his last 8 starts. He is burying them.

I'm going to have to move from this stupid town.

Bane tried to save us, but that damn meddling Batman got in the way.

Although Pittsburgh is a kick*** city in terms of things to do. Went there for a Lions/Steelers game and another time for a Pirates game, and we had a blast. The geography/layout of the city is really unique too. Although i'm guessing you probably aren't a fan of it since you have to experience it every day.

Too bad the Penguins have to ruin it.

The Capitals playoff switch works in the opposite way apparently.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Holtby's been pretty good. The Caps just refuse to play playoff hockey. I know they can, because I've seen them do it for short stretches, mostly when they're on the ropes. Too much hubris on that team.

holtby has been straight garbage for most of the playoffs. has no confidence right now. just look at how deep in the net he was on the pens 3rd goal last night. that is basic goaltending 101

caps have actually been the better team for the majority of the series. but holtby and the caps lack of killer instinct will doom them

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bane tried to save us, but that damn meddling Batman got in the way.

Although Pittsburgh is a kick*** city in terms of things to do. Went there for a Lions/Steelers game and another time for a Pirates game, and we had a blast. The geography/layout of the city is really unique too. Although i'm guessing you probably aren't a fan of it since you have to experience it every day.

Too bad the Penguins have to ruin it.

The Capitals playoff switch works in the opposite way apparently.

I like the city a lot, I just can't believe that none of these stupid 29 teams can take them down.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I like the city a lot, I just can't believe that none of these stupid 29 teams can take them down.

Well, they've played Columbus, whose magic wore off a month before the playoffs even started, and Washington, a team who looked and has been dysfunctional since the puck drop of game 1 against Toronto.

I mean, no Letang, no Sheary and now no Crosby and they've barely squeaked out a win? I don't think ive ever used the term "discombobulated" in a more apt way - that's exactly what their game is.

Unfortunately, if Pittsburgh does win, we won't know what they're made of until the Finals, because Ottawa and NYR are a joke, but then again, it'd be just like the NHL playoffs to see a messy, incomplete team like Ottawa win out in the East.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Holtby has sucked - not just statistically but foundationally.

That's why I said he's been ok in response to someone saying he's been good.

Not all goals have been his fault, but there's still no excuse for the amount he has given up.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Well, Toronto is an offensive team and Washington played them disrespectfully. Pittsburgh is the best offensive team so far. They lit up Bob and he's up for the Hart. Combine that with the amount of crazy bounces that have gone against the Caps and you have an explanation for the stats. In my opinion he's been good enough to give them a chance to win every game, with the possible exception of game 2 this series. He's not the primary reason why it took them so long to beat the Leafs and why they're down 3-1 to the Pens. He has also yet to clearly outplay the opposing goalie. Theoretically, that shouldn't be an issue for a loaded team like the Caps playing a massive underdog and a severely crippled opponent.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well, Toronto is an offensive team and Washington played them disrespectfully. Pittsburgh is the best offensive team so far. They lit up Bob and he's up for the Hart. Combine that with the amount of crazy bounces that have gone against the Caps and you have an explanation for the stats. In my opinion he's been good enough to give them a chance to win every game, with the possible exception of game 2 this series. He's not the primary reason why it took them so long to beat the Leafs and why they're down 3-1 to the Pens. He has also yet to clearly outplay the opposing goalie. Theoretically, that shouldn't be an issue for a loaded team like the Caps playing a massive underdog and a severely crippled opponent.

The caps aren't structured right to win

Not good enough down the middle with the right types of players (Don't care where they are from just have to all play the same way) and their defence is neither overly mobile not overly physical to be able to box guys out.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

And much as it pains me to say it, MAF has been great.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The caps aren't structured right to win

Not good enough down the middle with the right types of players (Don't care where they are from just have to all play the same way) and their defence is neither overly mobile not overly physical to be able to box guys out.

Meanwhile Pittsburgh has maybe 2 of the top5 centers in the league on the same damn team. Ugh.

Remember when that used to be us with Z/D?

Centers so important. You build down the middle. Especially these days when defenders are less Lidstrom and more Karlsson. You don't need a perfect defensive machine back there, you just need competency and then someone who can light up the offense. Burns, Subban, Karlsson, that's the trend. Then you *need* a dominant 1-2 punch down the middle.
And much as it pains me to say it, MAF has been great.

The past 2 games by the Caps were sad. They were peppering MAF with so many good chances and somehow almost none of them went in. They could have easily won those games.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
And then McDavid goes on and tops himself by dogging Getzlaf in the defensive zone, quickly transitioning. and no look setting up the 3-0 goal.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Insane choke job by the Oilers here, they dominated the game and give it all away with 3 minutes left.

Edit: Maybe interference

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What insanity. I still hate the ducks to the point that I'd probably rather have Pitt win then them, so that was rough to watch.

Go Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad