Around the NHL 2012-2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Anyone else expecting to see a goaltending change in Pittsburgh this summer?

It wouldn't surprise me terribly.

It would be smart. They have the pieces to make a deal, and they don't even need to give up important pieces for someone decent. They should keep Vokoun though IMO.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Boston is basically the type of team Babcock is trying to coach the Wings into. You've got fantastic two-way centers surrounded by big bodies who don't mind mucking it up. Combine that with a mobile and large D corp and you've got a menacing team.

And if Helm could stay healthy we'd find out if he can rise to Marchand level.

Yeah, I've thought a few times over the last few years that as much as Babs must like watch Pavel and Z put up some highlight plays, he would really like the defensive/physical presence that the B's bring to the ice. I'm certainly enjoying watching Boston take it to Pittsburgh so far.

No offense to Helm, but it'd be quite the jump to catch up to Marchand's level. I'd like to see him get there, but outside of Helm's speed advantage (and Marchand has wheels, just not like Helm), I'd take Marchand every time over Helm for his complete game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They don't hate it, but it makes life harder for their top scorers.

Which isn't unusual or anything, Zetterberg and Datsyuk also have problems scoring when they get smothered physically, like we saw in the Nashville series last year.

Boston is basically the type of team Babcock is trying to coach the Wings into. You've got fantastic two-way centers surrounded by big bodies who don't mind mucking it up. Combine that with a mobile and large D corp and you've got a menacing team.

And if Helm could stay healthy we'd find out if he can rise to Marchand level.

Marchand offensively is in a different galaxy than Helm.

Not going to see Helm do this stuff any time soon.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pittsburgh Penguis is a perfect example, how tanking for years as a loser organization keeps you as a loser organization when the success should come. One lucky Cup thanks to opposite team injuries does not change that fact.

I like our model.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Pittsburgh Penguis is a perfect example, how tanking for years as a loser organization keeps you as a loser organization when the success should come. One lucky Cup thanks to opposite team injuries does not change that fact.

I like our model.

Seems to be working for Chicago.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't think I would go with either team in the final four as an example of getting burned by it.

Columbus, Florida, Edmonton. You can be down there for awhile but it is just as much an act in luck of when you suck and who is in the draft during that time.

It looks like the next three years are good years to be really bad, as good as it has been since around the run on talent starting in 2003 for a couple of years.

Will be interesting to see who stays down there, the Flames didn't stink quite enough, but might still get lucky this year and be down there to collect Ekblad and McDavid then look out. There three picks in row would basically be a better time to have been down there than the Oilers.

It is about timing and luck, somebody is probably going to come out of the next three or four years with a monster future if it breaks right though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
7. It would be a surprise if the Dallas Stars hired a new guy before Grand Rapids is eliminated from the AHL playoffs. Stars general manager Jim Nill and Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill have a history and a mutual respect. It doesn't mean Blashill is the favourite, but it would be a surprise if there wasn't a conversation over coffee and bonbons. Grand Rapids leads the Western Conference Final 3-2 over Oklahoma City.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/06/30-thoughts-penguins-desperate-for-inspiration.html

Aug 6, 2012
Hopefully Nill stays classy and doesn't mess with the Wings organization. I want him to succeed and wish him the best, I just don't think he should try pulling more people away from Detroit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hopefully Nill stays classy and doesn't mess with the Wings organization. I want him to succeed and wish him the best, I just don't think he should try pulling more people away from Detroit.

Think about this from Blashill's perspective...

NHL head coaching job. OR! Remain locked behind one of the most respected NHL coaches. This is a life changing opportunity for a guy. If it's there, he has to take it, class be damned.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Think about this from Blashill's perspective...

NHL head coaching job. OR! Remain locked behind one of the most respected NHL coaches. This is a life changing opportunity for a guy. If it's there, he has to take it, class be damned.

Yep. I'd hate it if he comes for him but there is no way he can turn that down. Every AHL coach wants to move to the NHL and you have to take your chance. Same with Stevie, does he stay here behind Holland hoping to get a chance some day to be GM? No way, he has to take the opportunity elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad