Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Really it'll come down to losing either Backlund, Bennett or Jankowski if they protect 4-4

If they protect 3 D, I wonder if they'd expose Giordano? He'd be aging with a couple years left on his contract.

Gio has NMC does he not? And I wonder if that might be part of the issue with extending Backlund? Maybe he wants one, which would leave Ferland, Bennett or Janko exposed

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not 4-4-1, it's 8-1. Those eight players could all be defenceman or all forwards.

Giordano only has a NTC. Flames don't have any NMC's.

It's almost definitely going to be 7-3-1 though. Most likely we see the Flames trade a first or a quality prospect to prevent someone better from being taken a la Ducks moving Thoedore to protect Manson.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Worst case scenario, we lose one player, and so does everyone else. Our fourth-best defenceman, eighth-best forward or second-best goalie. Only one of those.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Arean's supposed to be done by 2020 with the Seattle Kraken's inaugural season being 2020-2021. So expansion draft would be June 2020.

Coincidentally, all of Frolik, Brouwer, Hamonic, Brodie and Stone will be UFA's at that point. Hamilton will have just one year left on his deal.

However, all of Andersson, Valimaki (if he goes pro next season), and Kylington would be eligible too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Apparently there are rumours that Gaborik is considering retiring so that might work in the Sens favour.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Both Phaneuf and Gaborik are terrible but it's a lot easier to hide an overpaid declining forward than an overpaid declining defenceman, especially with a penny-pinching owner. Think the Senators got the better of this deal. They also save 4-5M in real dollars.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gaborik is done as a player. Phaneuf is just an overpaid 2nd pairing defenseman, with retention hes more tolerable in that role.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't really get that for either team

I think that people's hatred of Phaneuf are skewing their view of him, he is a good 2nd pairing guy that can play on your top PP as well.

Yes he is overpaid but with the retention and getting rid of Gaborik's deal it makes sense for LA. They get a useful overpaid player for a bad overpaid player.

For Ottawa they aren't going to win anything anyways so they save money and their team can go on losing just the same with Dion in or out of their line-up.

Looks like a good deal for both teams, although if I had to pick one I go with LA as they actually get someone to help their team.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think that people's hatred of Phaneuf are skewing their view of him, he is a good 2nd pairing guy that can play on your top PP as well.

Yes he is overpaid but with the retention and getting rid of Gaborik's deal it makes sense for LA. They get a useful overpaid player for a bad overpaid player.

For Ottawa they aren't going to win anything anyways so they save money and their team can go on losing just the same with Dion in or out of their line-up.

Looks like a good deal for both teams, although if I had to pick one I go with LA as they actually get someone to help their team.

Yeah LA gets the only functioning player and Melnyk saves almost 6 million in real money

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Plus I think Ottawa management is still annoyed Phaneuf didn't waive for expansion and probably just wanted him gone

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Apparently there are rumours that Gaborik is considering retiring so that might work in the Sens favour.

They better hope so or be able to flip him. He's carrying an AAV of nearly 5 million for another 3 years and is already 36.

Canucks extended Benning today, because apparently being a cap team and missing the playoffs by a lot is what they're shooting for. Would have to imagine Boeser saved his job.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Fleecing Dorion on the Burrows deal and drafting Pettersson/Boeser/Gaudette/Lind/some other good guys as well as winning two trades vs Brad (though Andersson will likely end up being a good player)

Except for drafting Virtanen and the Kesler->McCann->Gudbranson fiasco his track record has been pretty good imo. Other GMs are definitely worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad