Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Maybe they're trading McDavid for half of Ottawa's roster?

Jokes aside, I can't help but think that Edmonton would be the team to land Karlsson (trade and sign). I'd imagine it to be revolving around something like Larsson + Draisaitl for Karlsson+. This assumes that the trade is not blown up to include even more players and prospects and cap dumps/salary savings. IMO both teams could win with a trade around this idea assuming we ignore the management and ownership situation in Ottawa. The biggest problem though is that Ottawa is in a position of weakness. Even Chia wouldn't bother bailing out Ottawa with a trade like that I bet.

Ottawa losing Karlsson hurts, but gets a solid dman back in Larsson and has solid centre depth in Duchene and Draisaitl.

Edmonton losing those pieces would hurt, but CMD + Karlsson for probably at least 5-6 years would be completely ridiculous and bull #### going forward. Whatever is added to Karlsson is inconsequential and probably pure bonus. Instant revival of a super hated BOA if that's the case IMO as well as a reputation of a deadly Alberta trip league wide.

I'm thinking both sides would hate it in the same way as the fan bases for the Dougie/Ferland/Fox v Lindholm/Hanifin trade, but both teams win long term. Scary to think TBH. I hope Edmonton doesn't explore it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Edmonton's on Karlsson's no trade list

DefinitiveAdeptAquaticleech-size_restricted.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Edmonton's on Karlsson's no trade list

You never know. He could get desperate enough that Edmonton looks like a vacation in comparison to the Ottawa management and ownership fiasco. But you're probably right.

Aug 3, 2010
Edmonton should just stop trying to attract players from Ottawa. It only ends in heartbreak.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Good deal for Montreal. Get Armia and picks just to take on Mason for a year.

Wish we could have done that lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good deal for Montreal. Get Armia and picks just to take on Mason for a year.

Wish we could have done that lol

Flames are likely going big game hunting tomorrow. Can't take that 5.5 million on and expect to get anything of value for 4 million or so.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Flames are likely going big game hunting tomorrow. Can't take that 5.5 million on and expect to get anything of value for 4 million or so.
That's what I'm worried about haha. I'd rather have the goaltending insurance for the year, plus go after a middling option like a Reider than big Game at this point

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's what I'm worried about haha. I'd rather have the goaltending insurance for the year, plus go after a middling option like a Reider than big Game at this point

Could probably grab Mason for a 5/6th if they really want him still.
It's all extra assets for Montreal at this time.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Meh, never been impressed with Armia. Too hot and cold for my liking.

But holy Moses what about that Couture contract, so another lockout is definitely happening right *sigh*

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh, never been impressed with Armia. Too hot and cold for my liking.

But holy Moses what about that Couture contract, so another lockout is definitely happening right *sigh*

Can thank Edmonton for the way contracts are handed out, really.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Individual contracts don't have anything to do with the upcoming lockout. No matter what happens or how much any single player gets, the players as a whole can only get 50% of revenues. Couture getting 8M just means that others will have to take less.

The next lockout will be because the owners want to redefine HRR and limit contract length to five years while the players have issues with escrow.

And Edmonton didn't really start this, it began after the last CBA when contracts were limited to eight years. Right after that, Kane and Toews were signed to those 8yr x 10.5M deals. Stars have always gotten paid but initially, the cap hits were artificially lowered because of the massive contract lengths after the full season lockout. And I think because of that, fans failed to realize just how much the stars were actually getting.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Yup.
Also in the next cba the owners will want to probably change bonus to combat those lockout proof contracts they've been giving out

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
How sad is it that we're talking about the next lockout like it's a certainty? No other league is like this in any sport

Reactions: tmurfin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad