Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I like how Oilers fans are hyping up Milan Lucic (9G 21A) and Mike Cammalleri (5G 15A) as examples of how poor Draisaitl has no help on his wings. Even if you want to say that Cammy is past his prime, you're talking about a guy who still has two goals less than Brouwer/Hathaway/Lazar/Jagr do combined.

Let's see what Leon can do centering Curtis Lazar and this season's Kris Versteeg.

I don't understand what they're so upset about to begin with. Draisaitl is having a great season. He's merely overpaid

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
They're upset because Draisaitl was taken away from Connor McDavid and didn't get Taylor Hall on a platter for him.

"What is this bullshit about centre depth? Reee I hate this league"

I guess since it's been more than a decade since the Oilers had two NHL centres I can see how the concept would be met with some confusion

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
"What is this bull**** about centre depth? Reee I hate this league"

I guess since it's been more than a decade since the Oilers had two NHL centres I can see how the concept would be met with some confusion

When you pay a guy 8.5 million dollars (!), I do think there's a base assumption that more than 43% of that player's offense would be self-generated, rather than sidekick points to the so-called best player in the league.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
When you pay a guy 8.5 million dollars (!), I do think there's a base assumption that more than 43% of that player's offense would be self-generated, rather than sidekick points to the so-called best player in the league.

It's bizarre. He's on pace to beat last years totals while not playing wing to McDavid and somehow Oiler fans are still upset. McDavid/Draisaitl are trending to be the best 1-2 punch since Crosby/Malkin but playing them on the same line together and having no forward depth outside of the first line is preferential.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's bizarre. He's on pace to beat last years totals while not playing wing to McDavid and somehow Oiler fans are still upset. McDavid/Draisaitl are trending to be the best 1-2 punch since Crosby/Malkin but playing them on the same line together and having no forward depth outside of the first line is preferential.

That's misleading, he has spent a lot of time on McDavid's wing even this year, but when they are split apart the angst gets started about solid forwards dragging Leon down.

Also comparing them to Crosby / Malkin, who produce independently to each other, is way off. They're a lot closer to Monahan/Gaudreau than people want to admit. Run the numbers, they combine for most of their goals just Johnny/Monny do.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
That's misleading, he has spent a lot of time on McDavid's wing even this year, but when they are split apart the angst gets started about solid forwards dragging Leon down.

Also comparing them to Crosby / Malkin, who produce independently to each other, is way off. They're a lot closer to Monahan/Gaudreau than people want to admit. Run the numbers, they combine for most of their goals just Johnny/Monny do.

Checked line combos and you're right, for some reason I thought Draisaitl was playing C for most of the year. Well in that case, that's even funnier.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Checked line combos and you're right, for some reason I thought Draisaitl was playing C for most of the year. Well in that case, that's even funnier.

Compare:

Leon + McDavid have combined for 28 points this year
Leon has 21 points away from McDavid
McDavid has 38 points away from Leon
=87 goals in 2108 minutes

Gaudreau + Monahan have combined for 33 points this year
Monahan has 17 points away from Gaudreau
Gaudreau has 33 points away from Monahan
=83 goals in 2112 minutes

four whopping goals. But their duo makes 21M a year, our duo makes 13.1M a year

Crosby and Malkin?
18 points together
Crosby 44 points away
Malkin 45 points away
=107 goals in 2184 minutes

20 more goals than Connor and Leon - and most agree Crosby' s having a down-year.

it's really obvious what tier of duo Connor/Leon are, and it's not Crosby and Malkin. Teams that get this kind of independent scoring are contenders

Here's a cool one though

Gaudreau and Tkachuk
5 goals together
Gaudreau 61 points away
Tkachuk 34 points away
= 100 goals in 2002 minutes

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I like how Oilers fans are hyping up Milan Lucic (9G 21A) and Mike Cammalleri (5G 15A) as examples of how poor Draisaitl has no help on his wings. Even if you want to say that Cammy is past his prime, you're talking about a guy who still has two goals less than Brouwer/Hathaway/Lazar/Jagr do combined.

Let's see what Leon can do centering Curtis Lazar and this season's Kris Versteeg.

I think Draisitl is a good player but they hype it up as a 1-2 punch à la Crosby-Malkin and it doesn’t compare. Draisitl’s most common linemate this year is Mcdavid which is hard to believe considering he “centers his own line”. Most of his points come from Conor, that doesn’t mean Drai isn’t a good player but he can’t drive offense like Mcdavid or the other two mentioned. Not even close

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Draisitl is a good player but they hype it up as a 1-2 punch à la Crosby-Malkin and it doesn’t compare. Draisitl’s most common linemate this year is Mcdavid which is hard to believe considering he “centers his own line”. Most of his points come from Conor, that doesn’t mean Drai isn’t a good player but he can’t drive offense like Mcdavid or the other two mentioned. Not even close

Pretty much this.
Leon's an excellent player, that I'd love to have; but he's not in the top 20 players or something in this league. I do love his upside though.

I have no idea what's going on North of here. These guys are going full-blown Oilers this year. I'm just waiting for Chia to knee jerk and make another horrendous move.
'Hmm, PPG winger... One of the best in the league... I'll trade that bad boy for a top 4D!'

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Pretty much this.
Leon's an excellent player, that I'd love to have; but he's not in the top 20 players or something in this league. I do love his upside though.

I have no idea what's going on North of here. These guys are going full-blown Oilers this year. I'm just waiting for Chia to knee jerk and make another horrendous move.
'Hmm, PPG winger... One of the best in the league... I'll trade that bad boy for a top 4D!'

I still cannot believe he traded one of the best wingers in the league for Adam freaking Larsson. He is a middle pairing minute muncher and nothing more. Then to cast of Eberle for Strome only to sign Lucic, a guy who was already showing signs of slowing down, he has destroyed that roster. I cannot imagine being an Oilers fan, other then having one of the best players in the world, there is almost nothing to cheer for or look forward to. The team is in cap hell, and they are going to have a very hard time fixing it...With Chia at the wheel, there is no way to remain optimistic.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The team is in cap hell, and they are going to have a very hard time fixing it...With Chia at the wheel, there is no way to remain optimistic.

Yeah, if they were gonna make a push, this season was the year to do it before all those contracts kick in next season. They also don't have a goalie locked up beyond this season, so it'll be interesting to see what they do there. Do they sign Talbot to a 1 year extension to see if last year or this year was the fluke? Or do they go elsewhere? Or does Chia keeping Chiaing and sign him to a terrible contract? haha

I remember when the Oilers hired Chia, Bruins fans warned Oilers fans to kiss their cap space goodbye :laugh:

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I would guess if we had the #3 pick instead of the Oilers that Draisatl would of been our pick.

Draisatl is a great player. I would imagine it would be hard bouncing up and down the lineup. Not hard in the sense of playing with McDavid (that guy would make a pylon a 30 goal scorer), I just mean for consistency.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They also don't have a goalie locked up beyond this season, so it'll be interesting to see what they do there.

They have Talbot for next year as well. Also budding superstar defenceman Oscar Klefbom is locked up until 2023-24 :laugh:.

Not sure why so many are surprised with the way they've fell, so many things went right for that team last year and they were still carried into the playoffs by McDavid, Draisaitl, and Talbot. Pretty funny that McPhee crafted a better team out of everyone else's leftovers without the benefit of having a can't miss superstar like McDavid on the roster.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They have Talbot for next year as well. Also budding superstar defenceman Oscar Klefbom is locked up until 2023-24 :laugh:.

Not sure why so many are surprised with the way they've fell, so many things went right for that team last year and they were still carried into the playoffs by McDavid, Draisaitl, and Talbot. Pretty funny that McPhee crafted a better team out of everyone else's leftovers without the benefit of having a can't miss superstar like McDavid on the roster.
To be perfectly honest, in a cap era, being able to start with a clean slate and hand-pick which contracts you are willing to take on is a massive, massive boon. I think there are multiple teams in the NHL who would honestly benefit from a dispersal/expansion process. But, if you asked them, of course they would decline because of loyalty to their players.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
To be perfectly honest, in a cap era, being able to start with a clean slate and hand-pick which contracts you are willing to take on is a massive, massive boon. I think there are multiple teams in the NHL who would honestly benefit from a dispersal/expansion process. But, if you asked them, of course they would decline because of loyalty to their players.

While that may be true, I don't think all that many would be up for paying half a billion dollars for the privilege to do so. As a GM you're already getting to pick which contracts to take on, that's a major part of their job. Chia decided to give an aging slow winger 42 million, a barely passable #4 D 16 million, and an Art Ross winner's linemate with little else on his resume 68 million. You could argue he was given better than a clean slate to start off with and has bungled it since.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Chiarelli's been a mess but it comes down to drafting and development. It always does.

Over ten years in the gutter and pretty much nothing to show from rounds two to seven over that span. And in the cap world, that's the only real way to get actual depth and become a contender.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Honestly signing McDavid before Draisitl was quite possibly the stupidest move he could have made. That’s just cap management 101. You’ll see with Lamiorello this summer he’s definitely going to get Nylander and Marner in around 6-7 before he signs Matthews. It makes a huge difference. I know I’ll be keeping an eye on the Nylander/Marner contracts because those will be a good proxy for Tkachuk

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Honestly signing McDavid before Draisitl was quite possibly the stupidest move he could have made. That’s just cap management 101. You’ll see with Lamiorello this summer he’s definitely going to get Nylander and Marner in around 6-7 before he signs Matthews. It makes a huge difference. I know I’ll be keeping an eye on the Nylander/Marner contracts because those will be a good proxy for Tkachuk
How much will they get? I have to think regardless of the approach Lou takes that Matthews will make 10+ due to the Eichel contract. At the very least maybe he would take 8.5-9. Marner and Nylander are both likely to make around 5.5-7.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
How much will they get? I have to think regardless of the approach Lou takes that Matthews will make 10+ due to the Eichel contract. At the very least maybe he would take 8.5-9. Marner and Nylander are both likely to make around 5.5-6.5.

Yeah I think Matthews gets 10+ due to the Eichel deal. Probably 10.5-11. I think Leafs fans are hoping for 6 for the other two but I could see them getting slightly more or slightly less

Tkachuk at 6x8 would be the dream for me

Reactions: Dack

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Expansion draft implications begin now

Notably, increases the probability that the Flames leave Fox in the NCAA for another year so that he wouldn't need to be protected.

Will also impact trades involving prospects and all that. Plus NMC protection for UFA's.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

Expansion draft implications begin now

Notably, increases the probability that the Flames leave Fox in the NCAA for another year so that he wouldn't need to be protected.

Will also impact trades involving prospects and all that. Plus NMC protection for UFA's.

Looking at our roster real quick this one might hurt a bit more than the last one. Wonder if we’ll go 7-3-1 or 4-4-1. At 4-4-1 there’s a lot of pieces left open up front, 7-3-1 and we definitely lose a top 4 D. Will be interesting to follow

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Looking at our roster real quick this one might hurt a bit more than the last one. Wonder if we’ll go 7-3-1 or 4-4-1. At 4-4-1 there’s a lot of pieces left open up front, 7-3-1 and we definitely lose a top 4 D. Will be interesting to follow
Really it'll come down to losing either Backlund, Bennett or Jankowski if they protect 4-4

If they protect 3 D, I wonder if they'd expose Giordano? He'd be aging with a couple years left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad