Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's amusing and really sad to see how other teams shutdown McDavid.

And
Kulak > Russell
Hathaway > Kassian

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers are about where I expected them to be, maybe two or three games back. Some "Flames fans" called me a homer for not drinking that Kool-Aid but the flaws on that roster are evident. It's not like the Flames where we just need to add by subtracting a Brouwer from the PK or move a Brodie to the right side... there is a serious talent voidup North. People talk about McDavid being this revolutionary game breaker and yet he has an identical statline to Gaudreau who Flames fans give very little credit to. Draisaitl is a 50 point player without a Hall or McDavid to prop him up. RNH is inferior to Jankowski and Backlund. Klefbom is overrated. Larsson is a mediocre 2nd pair guy. I wouldn't mind Puljujarvi instead of Frolik or Hathaway but relative to expectations - including my own, he is a total diaapointment. My favorite Oiler is Kassian and he would be 4RW on our squad.

Not trying to stir thing up but how in the world this sad group can beat up the Flames at ease every time they meet?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Not trying to stir thing up but how in the world this sad group can beat up the Flames at ease every time they meet?

They have our number. Pretty simple. We seem to just play our worst and they play their best.

Like Anaheim until recently.

Edit: I was definitely not ready to jump all aboard the Oiler hype train. But they are better then they have shown this year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They have our number. Pretty simple. We seem to just play our worst and they play their best.

Like Anaheim until recently.

I think it's mental. Probably a McDavid thing. We need someone to shut him down

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think it's mental. Probably a McDavid thing. We need someone to shut him down
That someone is the coach. Takes multiple players being on him to limit his opportunities, his time and space while quickly getting the puck away from him. Takes a group effort to keep him off the scoreboard.

Meanwhile, the Flames' defense keep backing off, giving McDavid all the time in the world to do what he wants.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Simple, they treat it like the game of their lives and our guys forget to show up.

It's all coaching. Under Hartley we pwned the Oilers. We needed Glen to beat the teams we looked up to (STL, ANA in ANA, etc) but forgot to maintain the pwnage over the crappy Oilers.

When a guy like Letestu is getting breakaways on you, you are simply half assing it.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
That sinking feeling watching McDavid blow through our defense in the home opener was awful. I live vicariously through watching other teams shut him down.

I would honestly try running the Monahan line rather than 2M + Brouwer against McDavid's in our next meeting. Our top line moves the puck so crisply that you have to think it'd be at least 50/50, if not tilted in our direction. Give the Backlund line the o-zone faceoffs and watch them wreak havoc.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
That sinking feeling watching McDavid blow through our defense in the home opener was awful. I live vicariously through watching other teams shut him down.

I would honestly try running the Monahan line rather than 2M + Brouwer against McDavid's in our next meeting. Our top line moves the puck so crisply that you have to think it'd be at least 50/50, if not tilted in our direction. Give the Backlund line the o-zone faceoffs and watch them wreak havoc.
iirc in the 1st game of the season it was mostly the 1st line along with Brodie-Hamonic matching him and then the 2nd time it was the 3M along with Gio-Hamilton. In the next meeting I'd like to see Bennett matched up against them, I'm sure Bennett would be up to the task considering him and McDavid are good friends.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Apparently Chiarelli has given McLellan a vote of confidence. The tank must be on

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Apparently Chiarelli has given McLellan a vote of confidence. The tank must be on

163.gif

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Minnesota and Chicago play tomorrow night. Good news is they can't both win. Bad news is they can't both lose.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Duclair saga in Arizona is over, he along with Clendenning been traded to the Hawks for Panik and Dauphin

Weird trade for both teams to take back old prospects. Hawks definitely won, I'm surprised Duclair was that cheap, there really must've been little interest.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Our equivalent in value of what the Yotes got from the Hawks would of been something like Brouwer at 50% retained and Poirier.

Yeah Duclair had low value. Up to him to prove the doubter wrong.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Our equivalent in value of what the Yotes got from the Hawks would of been something like Brouwer at 50% retained and Poirier.

Lol no, Panik is closer to Frolik than Brouwer

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

uh... no. Not at all. Panik is 26 years old, and an effective middle 6 forward. He's cheaper and only signed for this year, so Arizona can flip him at the deadline.

Edit: He's signed for one more season. Frolik might be a better comparison.

Brouwer is the exact opposite.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Didn't know where else to put this but Rene Borque and Mason Raymond are going to the Olympics. Cody Goloubef is the only other guy with ties to the Flames org (past or present)

Edit: Vey too

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Ortio and Jokipakka probably play for Team Finland. I haven't followed national team much, but I haven't seen any mentions of Rämö.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad