Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yup. RNH and Yak are equal to Ovi and Crosby. They are all the same right? Let's not get into "development". Top guys are always top guys.

No one said all 1st overalls were the same. Not a good look when you need to start by making things up.

Yakupov and RNH were both pretty run of the mill 1st overalls and the Oilers ruined them. The other above average 1st OA they had they also ran out of town. Oilers can’t develop players. If one busts it’s bad luck. 3 though? It’s the team. The proof is in the pudding.

The league is fortunate the Oilers got an unbustable prospect in McDavid. Had they drafted later we would be talking about ‘what went wrong with Eichel/Marner’ by now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
At what point do the Knights start getting treated as a legitimate Cup contender? The scary thing is that they probably have the best collection of assets to use to buy at the deadline, and they likely have the best cap situation to do it, too. So this might not even be their final form.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
At what point do the Knights start getting treated as a legitimate Cup contender? The scary thing is that they probably have the best collection of assets to use to buy at the deadline, and they likely have the best cap situation to do it, too. So this might not even be their final form.

I don’t feel like they should buy, I’d be worried it would mess with their chemistry, but that’s just me. They have had a “us against the world” mentality and that can really bond a locker room. Then say they go out and get a couple of studs, maybe they have an ego, don’t know the system and are getting prime minutes, personally I think they are better wait until the off-season to tinker. But what the heck do I know lol?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don’t feel like they should buy, I’d be worried it would mess with their chemistry, but that’s just me. They have had a “us against the world” mentality and that can really bond a locker room. Then say they go out and get a couple of studs, maybe they have an ego, don’t know the system and are getting prime minutes, personally I think they are better wait until the off-season to tinker. But what the heck do I know lol?
My take is just that this may be their best chance for a while. The general consensus is that you really need that top-end elite talent to push your franchise forward, and given they got shafted by the lottery this past summer and they're clearly not picking high again this year, they don't really have a way to get that through the draft in the immediate future. Couple that with the fact that they may lose a lot of their expansion draftees as UFAs, and perhaps it doesn't make that much of a difference to them if they trade some firsts from this year, because they're may have to go through a bit of a dip in the next few years anyway. :dunno:

True enough about disrupting chemistry. But generally rosters don't get turned over by deadline deals. Just filling in places that can be improved, and there are probably a few. They could use a top-4 d-man and a bottom-6 forward, I'm sure.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My take is just that this may be their best chance for a while. The general consensus is that you really need that top-end elite talent to push your franchise forward, and given they got shafted by the lottery this past summer and they're clearly not picking high again this year, they don't really have a way to get that through the draft in the immediate future. Couple that with the fact that they may lose a lot of their expansion draftees as UFAs, and perhaps it doesn't make that much of a difference to them if they trade some firsts from this year, because they're may have to go through a bit of a dip in the next few years anyway. :dunno:

True enough about disrupting chemistry. But generally rosters don't get turned over by deadline deals. Just filling in places that can be improved, and there are probably a few. They could use a top-4 d-man and a bottom-6 forward, I'm sure.

I agree they need a top 4 D, but it is funny considering their expansion strategy. And I don’t disagree with anything you said, you don’t know until you take a swing whether or not it was a hit or miss. I actually think they had a really solid draft last season, which was hugely underrated. But they need to weigh whatever potential moves they may or may not make.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Sort of OT- but has anyone else felt like the schedule this year has been super disjointed/ messy? I feel like we got a wonky draw this year- we have a lot of 3 games in 4 nights situations with like 4-5 day gaps in between, it's embarrassing and almost like an AHL team schedule. It would be really difficult to build up any team momentum!

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Sort of OT- but has anyone else felt like the schedule this year has been super disjointed/ messy? I feel like we got a wonky draw this year- we have a lot of 3 games in 4 nights situations with like 4-5 day gaps in between, it's embarrassing and almost like an AHL team schedule. It would be really difficult to build up any team momentum!

It's definitely odd.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's mostly in your imagination. These are all the breaks 4 days or longer this year:

Oct. 15 to Oct. 18 (4 days)
Dec. 23 to Dec. 27 (5 days) - this was the Christmas break
Jan. 15 to Jan. 19 (5 days) - this is the mandatory "week off"
Jan. 26 to Jan. 29 (4 days) - this is the all-star weekend

In addition to that we have two other 3 day breaks, both of which have passed.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Maroon with a pretty nasty headshot on Doughty. Will probably be lookinh at a suspension

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Shut out 5-0 twice in a row on home ice against Western conference opponents. That has to be it for Todd McLellan

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yup. RNH and Yak are equal to Ovi and Crosby. They are all the same right? Let's not get into "development". Top guys are always top guys.

Not only was that not what he said but regardless...Ovi and Crosby aren't even on the same team.

You at one point had Hall, RNH, Yak and McDavid on one roster. None of them need to be Crosby or Ovi because ffs how many 1st overalls does it bloody take...?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Never was a real option. I remember someone on this board mentioning he was a trade target... we didn't have the assets to acquire him, or the cap to keep him.

That's an amazing value contract for him; that kid's really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad