Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Never was a real option. I remember someone on this board mentioning he was a trade target... we didn't have the assets to acquire him, or the cap to keep him.

That's an amazing value contract for him; that kid's really good.
I brought him up early as a potential target under the assumption that Vegas would eventually slow down. Definitely stopped being realistic a month ago or so, but I still hoped he might test free agency.

Alas.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Yikes, the Oilers are down 4-0 midway through the 2nd. So far this week they've scored 1 goal and allowed 15 goals through 3 1/2 games. Gotta think it's the end of the line for TMac there.

Reactions: Cyrano

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames were comfortably in a playoff spot I would be less concerned about losing to the Oilers. At least it'd worsen their lottery odds.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Buddy at work is a big Oilers fan, he hadn't had cable in 5 years because of how bad they'd been and only listened on radio, he made the leap and got cable this year because "it's their time!!", it's pretty hilarious watching him do the walk of shame some mornings now :laugh:.

Not like I can bug him much, considering we're not doing much better. It's the little things I guess, sigh...

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
So the question is, did TMac really have a much better roster in San Jose, has he entirely fallen off as a coach, or has some sort of witch put a hex on the Oilers?

Just when you think they're pulling it together they crumple entirely. I love it.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
So the question is, did TMac really have a much better roster in San Jose, has he entirely fallen off as a coach, or has some sort of witch put a hex on the Oilers?

Just when you think they're pulling it together they crumple entirely. I love it.

To me, the problem with the team is deep seeded in organizational culture. There's no other explanations for how it's become such a consistently mentally weak team that seems allergic to the idea of success.

I think it won't matter who you plug in until You get rid of the ghosts of the old boys club still wandering the halls. They should almost pull a vegas-like approach and rehire every position top to bottom.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

He had a better roster in SJ for sure, but I am not sure he is/was anything more than a mediocre coach.

As much as Oiler fans want to try and pin this on coaching and bad luck the roster is terrible.

Last year they were very dependent on a few players and a lot of guys playing above their ability. Now that some guys are coming back to their actual level of play the big roster issues are clear as day.

Nurse-Klefblom
Sekaras-Larsson
Benning-Russell
(Not sure if pairings are correct but who cares)

Is a bad defensive group. No matter how much Oiler fans want to overrate Nurse that is a bottom 10 group in the NHL.

Talbot is mid level ~15th starter in the league so after they ran him into the ground last year during his hot play it isn't overly surprising that he isn't putting up the same numbers again.

McDavid-RNH-Draisaitl is good C depth but Maroon, Lucic, Pujuljarvi, Caggiula, Khaira, Cammy are awful wing depth. Not a single one makes McDavid a better player, not a single one can create offense on their own and not a single one is a well rounded player that can help in all areas. It is really a brutal group of players. Then you have Letestu, Strome and Slepyshev that are best just ignored and not talked about with how little they bring.

I don't think it is a curse it is an incompetent management group right from the top (owner) down that consistently fall way too much in love with their own players and seem unwilling to make changes or additions to improve their team because they think their guys are way better than they are.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Also, as much as I hate doing anything but cheering for an Oilers loss I wonder if it isn't time to kind of, sort of not mind when they get points to boost them up the standings a bit. The play-offs are gone, they have no shot at that but if they pick high enough they may eventually luck into a guy that can help them out. The lower they pick the higher the chance is.

I am not going to hope for wins but against teams we are competing against for the play-offs I may hope the other team loses that game.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Oilers are about where I expected them to be, maybe two or three games back. Some "Flames fans" called me a homer for not drinking that Kool-Aid but the flaws on that roster are evident. It's not like the Flames where we just need to add by subtracting a Brouwer from the PK or move a Brodie to the right side... there is a serious talent voidup North. People talk about McDavid being this revolutionary game breaker and yet he has an identical statline to Gaudreau who Flames fans give very little credit to. Draisaitl is a 50 point player without a Hall or McDavid to prop him up. RNH is inferior to Jankowski and Backlund. Klefbom is overrated. Larsson is a mediocre 2nd pair guy. I wouldn't mind Puljujarvi instead of Frolik or Hathaway but relative to expectations - including my own, he is a total diaapointment. My favorite Oiler is Kassian and he would be 4RW on our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad