Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually think getting #1 picks is a curse. You’re much better off drafting down a few spots and within the top 10. It saves your cap and allows you to build much better depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hate losing to the Oilers, but considering how ****ty of a team they are, any points they get, even if it's from us, gets them further away from another lottery pick and in the whole grand scheme of things that's better.
Maybe that is the Flames organizations plan? :sarcasm:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I actually think getting #1 picks is a curse. You’re much better off drafting down a few spots and within the top 10. It saves your cap and allows you to build much better depth.

It only appears that way because the Oilers have fumbled all (save for McJesus) 1st overalls for half a decade. In reality most 1st overalls eventually help their team become contenders.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Not if you learn how to manage it.
It's pretty easy to see that not all firsts are equal.

Edmonton got:
1) Generational talent
2) Elite Winger
3) Middle 6 C
4) Depth scorer

Honestly, when they went to the podium to pick Yakupov, you knew they'd be in trouble. Hindsight is 20/20; but you think of a world where Edmonton traded down in the 2012 draft (as most experts and knowledgeable fans were saying they should), maybe swapped spots with Toronto; ended up with Reilly or Lindholm... their reluctance to insulate their youth and simply be the worst team they could possibly build also went against them.

Who knows, it's a curse when you hand out massive contracts like candy at Halloween (hey, let's give 3 unproven kids matching 6x6 contracts; oh hey, we made the playoffs for the first time in a decade, let's hand out 2 inexperienced kids two of the biggest contracts in the modern NHL).

It also helps when you actually have a development system that can help.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The thing with the Oilers rebuilding failures, is that it's a never ending story.

We need @Unlimited Chequing to shoop McDavid onto this, with the other Oiler 1st Overalls flying off into the wind :laugh:
giphy.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Who knows, it's a curse when you hand out massive contracts like candy at Halloween (hey, let's give 3 unproven kids matching 6x6 contracts; oh hey, we made the playoffs for the first time in a decade, let's hand out 2 inexperienced kids two of the biggest contracts in the modern NHL).
I don't think Oilers fans are too, too bothered about these specific contracts but it's funny how fast they've all turned on Chiarelli this season. The basically buy-out proof Lucic contract, the Russell contract, the Strome trade, the Reinhart trade, the polarizing Hall trade. And if Sekera loses a step after he comes back, that contract might turn Wideman bad. Most Oilers fans were willing to accept those because McDavid and Draisaitl were Oilers and many were quick to point to Boston's Stanley Cup with Chiarelli as the GM as to what was to come this season for them (#OilersLeafsSCF2018). The team begins to falter and he's suddenly public enemy #1

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It only appears that way because the Oilers have fumbled all (save for McJesus) 1st overalls for half a decade. In reality most 1st overalls eventually help their team become contenders.

I think a lot of 1st OA’s are subject to get massive deals if they play to expectations coming off their ELC. I just think if you have to hand out 3 or more mega contracts, it really hurts your depth. I really like how the Flames are built long term and we’ve done it drafting no higher than 4th. I would take quality depth over 1 or 2 upper elite players.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think a lot of 1st OA’s are subject to get massive deals if they play to expectations coming off their ELC. I just think if you have to hand out 3 or more mega contracts, it really hurts your depth. I really like how the Flames are built long term and we’ve done it drafting no higher than 4th. I would take quality depth over 1 or 2 upper elite players.

Gaudreau is more or less as good as any 1OA in recent years anyways. And yes, I'm including McDavid in that assessment.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I keep expecting him to stick up his index finger at the end of the sequence for some odd reason. lol

Fantastic job UC.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Yup. RNH and Yak are equal to Ovi and Crosby. They are all the same right? Let's not get into "development". Top guys are always top guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad