Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Gonna buyout a D.
I don't think that's enough.... Reaves, Klingberg are high priced additions for what they offer

Leafs must be 6-7m over the cap now... I bet they trade Matt Murray and a pick to the Coyotes or something like that

I still think Treliving lands Karlsson - maybe for Murray, Nylander and a prospect

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trading Nylander would be an interesting move after the season he just had, but really the move they should make is the player they never should of signed.

I assume you mean Tavares and I agree but he is locked in with full no trade no move for this season and next and I believe they will honor that deal for their captain.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think that's enough.... Reaves, Klingberg are high priced additions for what they offer

Leafs must be 6-7m over the cap now... I bet they trade Matt Murray and a pick to the Coyotes or something like that

I still think Treliving lands Karlsson - maybe for Murray, Nylander and a prospect
Interesting thoughts. Something has to give.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Muzzin is going to be on LTIR and they might pay to move Murray. It's 1-2 rather than 6-7 over when you account for Muzzin.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Would you make this trade
Karlsson (50% retained - year 1) for Murray, Nylander, Knies

Yeah I would do it as proposed from the Sharks perspective (if they are only retaining on EK for year 1). They get out from under the Karlsson contract and can always flip Nylander for picks and prospects. I doubt the Leafs do that though.

For a team that is poor at defence as the Leafs the Bertuzzi/ Domi signing doesn't help one bit, both have no idea where the D zone is

Domi sucks but Bertuzzi is actually good. As much as I hate to admit it the Leafs look much better upfront compared to last season. The only saving grace is that their D is gonna be much worse.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah I would do it as proposed from the Sharks perspective (if they are only retaining on EK for year 1). They get out from under the Karlsson contract and can always flip Nylander for picks and prospects. I doubt the Leafs do that though.
Treiliving knows the value of a a true #1... Reilly isn't that even though he's got the contract

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really have to wonder what the Leafs plan on doing right now.

They are $2,431,450 over the cap after factoring in Muzzin to LTIR.

Plus they still need to sign Samsonov who is projected by Evolving Hockey to earn $5.178m on a 4 year deal.

That puts TO $7,609,450 over the cap. Moving Matt Murray frees up another $4,687,500 which gets them to $2,921,950. So they would still need to free up nearly $3m to have some wiggle room. Not sure how they are going to do it.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Really have to wonder what the Leafs plan on doing right now.

They are $2,431,450 over the cap after factoring in Muzzin to LTIR.

Plus they still need to sign Samsonov who is projected by Evolving Hockey to earn $5.178m on a 4 year deal.

That puts TO $7,609,450 over the cap. Moving Matt Murray frees up another $4,687,500 which gets them to $2,921,950. So they would still need to free up nearly $3m to have some wiggle room. Not sure how they are going to do it.
Tavares to Arizona? along with a first rounder and a prospect?

So they'll probably wait until the first day of the season to sign Samsonov (after LTIR kicks in)? Is that how it works?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Tavares to Arizona? along with a first rounder and a prospect?

So they'll probably wait until the first day of the season to sign Samsonov (after LTIR kicks in)? Is that how it works?

They can't move Tavares because he has a full NMC and I doubt he would ever entertain that kind of move.

I believe because Muzzin's injury is effectively a career ending injury he can go on LTIR before then. Generally the players who are just done can be put on LTIR prior to the 1st day. It's the guys who are coming off a surgery or who have a nagging injury that need to first be moved to active roster then deemed unfit to play and then put on LTIR.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only option they appear to have is to trade Nylander and Murray

Murray will likely cost them their 1st in 2024.

Nylander they should be able to move he's 27 heading into next season and will be 28 when he wants an extension so you can still buy up some prime years there. He's pretty durable but relies a lot on his speed so he could be pretty solid heading into his mid 30's before he tails off.

Nylander's contract will be a marker for Ehlers next summer.

Yeah whatever Willie gets we know Ehlers should at least be under that so we can plan accordingly.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nylander outscored Ehlers by nearly 50 points last year…

I don't think anyone is really comparing the two as far as Ehlers will earn what Willie will earn because it's not even close right now. But whatever Willie earns Ehlers likely falls a few mil short of that.

Reactions: Cypruss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad