Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Is there a weirder-looking powerplay group than Matthews-Bertuzzi-Domi? Ok, maybe seeing Domi’s dad. But Matthews and Bertuzzi are some 70s-looking punks.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yzerman picked a good coach a did a great job of surrounding his kids with vets but I’m not sold on their upside.
I don't see anything special beyond a couple of players, but I quite intensely dislike them, so likely not unbiased

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
I'm so annoyed that we couldn't have lost just one more game in 2021. We could have drafted Guenther or Clarke instead of Boucher.
The most frustrating end of season to follow. I was super into the draft that year and badly wanted Ottawa to tank out the season. I remember LA was way behind us and had a 4 game "series" against the Avs to close out the season. I tuned into a couple of the games just hoping for a win or two but sure enough Colorado smoked them, not even an OTL. Vancouver had sickness wipe out their roster and ended up really selling down the stretch.

Worth noting that Josh Doan (2G 2A in 2GP so far) was the 37th pick traded for 20 games of Derek Stepan. It can't be understated how much the 2021 draft set back this franchise.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's really astonishing that the Capitals are in a playoff spot right now while rocking a -30 goal differential. That is the 6th worst goal differential in the league, only ahead of Montreal, Columbus, Anaheim, Chicago, San Jose.

Also worth noting that all of the teams in the Western conference with a positive goal differential are in playoff spots right now. In the East, the Flyers and Capitals are the only teams with negative goal differentials that are currently holding playoff spots (tenuously) while the Red Wings are the only team in the league with a positive goal differential to not be in a playoff spot today.

Reactions: albator71

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not that it relates to NHL hockey but Reynolds announcing Wrecham lost $16 million USD last year and RR has to cut a cheque to maintain the team - god these guys are as big of bullshitters as a Melnyck was.

They are making millions off the team and it’s a cash in for them but somehow they can still work the accounting books to make it lookThat Wexham is the punchy underdog who’s gotta go through hell before it reaches its dream.

Read that article and it reeked of the Ottawa messaging for a decade of feel sorry for me. And then sold for $800 million more then bought for.

Wrexham is a scam - it’s a cash cow for multi millionaires who if anyone found out Wrxham was actually making them each $20 million + a year the entire brand would be destroyed

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
So the dumb Wild just went with the “cool new thing to do” in OT and pulled the goalie. Vegas scored on the empty net so they forfeit the one point they earned…I’m only concerned because my proline has the game going to OT. It better still count as an overtime game. Anyone know? lol

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I've never like Sid, never been a fan. But it's hard to deny his talent and legacy in this league. That 19 year consecutive point per game season stat is unreal. Absolutely incredible.

I don't know exactly why Crosby has had the ire of so many NHL fans (like myself) throughout his career. While on the other hand, his natural rival Ovechkin is generally well liked around the league by most fans (with the exception of fans from a few franchises).

Although I am in the USA, so maybe Crosby is celebrated more universally in Canada for being one of the best Canadian players of all time.

As much as I like Ovechkin and dislike Crosby, if I were starting a franchise and could choose one of these guys to draft as rookies, I would take Crosby. There is just no denying his enduring high performing consistency.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3