Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, yeah, he never got to play his 23 or 24 year old seasons. .

Just last year there were 11 100 point scorers in the NHL.

From 2008-2018 there were 11.

Points, and scoring, is not remotely similar

All these posts are because I ranked McDavid above Crosby?

Crosby is one of the Goats and I ranked him Top-10, probably 6th or 7th so it's not like I was low on him lol

It's just that McDavid is a special special talent, of course I am projecting a bit with the 10 years age difference and he might not have the same team accomplishments but it's still my opinion

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, yeah, he never got to play his 23 or 24 year old seasons. .

Just last year there were 11 100 point scorers in the NHL.

From 2008-2018 there were 11.

Points, and scoring, is not remotely similar between both of their primes, and Crosby missed nearly 200 games of his.

Prime McDavid is likely putting up similar numbers to prime Crosby back in 2005-2018, likely better.

Crosby is undoubtedly the more complete player, not even close in my opinion.
I think it's fair to point out the context though; Pittsburgh actually cared about defense and made sure the team played the right way, for a good chunk of McDavids career, Edm has been a bit of a mess in that regard and approached it with the "if the puck is always on the other end of the ice, that's our defense" mentality.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
1st tier : Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, McDavid, Howe

2nd tier : Crosby, Ovechkin, Messier, Lidstrom, Jagr, Yzerman, Bourque

3rd tier : Plenty (Sakic, Francis, Forsberg, Lafleur, Esposito, Bossy, Bure, etc)

* Not ranking goalies with skaters

McDavid is currently 3rd in PPG of all-time and he didn't play in the 80's. He's ahead of Dionne, Stastny, Bossy, etc... This is just crazy

Another crazy thing is we are currently witnessing some incredible talents but maybe don't fully realize it. Ranking in terms of PPG, all-time :

#3- McDavid
#8- Crosby
#13- Kucherov
#16- Draisaitl
#19- Panarin
#20- Matthews
#22- Malkin
#24- McKinnon
#31- Marner
#34- Ovechkin
#36- Rantanen
#38- Pastrnak

Some Senators :

#106- Alfredsson
#109- Yashin
#115- Heatley
#136- Stone
#151- Hossa
#190- Karlsson
#206- Spezza
#208- Zibanejad

Stutzle is not ranked (minimum 500 career points) but his current PPG would be 150th
Looking at career ppg can paint a very unclear and distorted picture.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Looking at career ppg can paint a very unclear and distorted picture.

Just posting them... I could have list raw points but it's useless as players haven't played the same number of games and it's also going to be misleading.

Don't worry, people are aware that Bossy stopped playing at 30 y/o

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think it's fair to point out the context though; Pittsburgh actually cared about defense and made sure the team played the right way, for a good chunk of McDavids career, Edm has been a bit of a mess in that regard and approached it with the "if the puck is always on the other end of the ice, that's our defense" mentality.
Quality of goaltending plays a huge factor too. The goalies Crosby faced in his first 6 years in the league vs. the guys McDavid has faced? It's not even comparable. Crosby had Tim Thomas, Tomas Vokoun, Henrik Lundqvist, Carey Price, Ryan Miller and Martin Brodeur, just in his conference. The best goalies, statistically, that McDavid has faced consistently in his conference are Corey Crawford and Connor Hellebuyck.

As one point of comparison, Tim Thomas' average save percentage over 315 games from 2005-2011 was .922 and his goals against average was 2.49. The guy most likely to win the Vezina this year, Hellebuyck, has a .919sv% and a 2.43 gaa in 55GP. That's wild lol. One guy was playing in the era of goaltending greatness and the other is playing in the highest offense era maybe ever?

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Just posting them... I could have list raw points but it's useless as players haven't played the same number of games and it's also going to be misleading.

Don't worry, people are aware that Bossy stopped playing at 30 y/o
You are not just posting them. You are using them to support a premise.

I don't care about Bossy. I was born in 1997.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Interesting to see someone say Crosby was under appreciated. Seemed more like he was propped up heavily as the big thing. He was the golden child of the league, no doubt. I'd say he got his due. Especially for Senators fans, we heard all about it as he beat us in the playoffs early on that year Spezza attempting to cover him was made a big deal.

Reactions: Xspyrit

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Crosby over McDavid for me. Crosby lost prime years to injuries, but still performed like a beast during the games he did play. His rounded game is night and day compared to McDavid and Crosby has single-handedly ended franchises in the playoffs (Us, Philly, Caps, etc.,). McDavid might have done that to Calgary with Gaudreau and MTkachuk there, but aside from that he just relies on pure offense and speed, which hasn't worked so far. McDavid is the better offensive talent and the best I've ever seen play though.

My goats are Gretzky, Lemieux, the Crosby. Crosby is closer to Gretzky than Howe or Orr. Those two played in bush leagues when the league wasn't even that big. They're not even in the convo for me. Crosby is the best I've seen though. Didn't get to watch Gretzky (was born in 93) and what I saw of Lemieux was hard to appreciate

Reactions: SquidNasty

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really like how Tortorella ripped his team and their effort and who do they play tonight - the Buffalo Sabers.

Big win tonight and the healing starts and they can start to build again towards the playoffs. Lose and Torts was right, they don’t have the right guys who can draw a line in the sand for a team and redirect the team in a better direction.

Guaranteed Flyers win tonight and Torts will be like a Dad at a wedding at tonight’s press conference.

I like it because in big moments you need guys who can perform and as soon as Torts has a chance to see who are the diamonds and who are the fakers he takes it. Ottawa hasn’t been in a position to do this on 6 years but it’s pressure I’d like to see for this group of players.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Bobby Hull had a 1.22 PPG over his career ……. Just saying

1712350748647.jpeg

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Art Ross and Hart race is so friggin awesome this year.

McDavid will probably win if he wins the scoring title after having his start. Kucherov's point lead over his colleagues is insane, but MacKinnon has a good case too plus the story of not having major individual hardware.

Quinn Hughes has been absolutely fire as well

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Tampa has both Pittsburgh and Washington.

I wonder if they soften the lineup for one of those games. Pittsburgh is the hotter team right now. It's probably better to face Washington.

It feels like Pittsburgh is going to make it in. I'm conflicted between my desire to see Karlsson play in the post-season, and the fact that he plays for the Penguins.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Flyers, Red Wings and Capitals all lose lmao, do none of them want to make the playoffs?
So frustrating to watch this race unfold. If the Sens went 42-33-7 or something they easily cruise to the playoffs. Given the talent on the roster that’s such an achievable record. Average goaltending + Stü doesn’t regress and the narrative is completely different.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Biggest game of the year for the penguins and Karlsson drops 3 assists including the critical play on the 5-4 gwg.

would be nice to have veteran gamer like that here.

Also wow what a game it was, felt like game 7 playoffs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Biggest game of the year for the penguins and Karlsson drops 3 assists including the critical play on the 5-4 gwg.

Prefer veteran gamers in the Giroux mode,

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I hope they make the playoffs and he has a good run, would be great to see him win a cup before his career is over, but it was only the biggest game of the season because the team has underperformed big time all year. Karlsson himself has seen his production cut in half from last year, I suspect they were hoping for more from him, not that he's been bad or the reason they struggled but still.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Prefer veteran gamers in the Giroux mode,

Karlsson is better and more clutch than Giroux though? And We defs need top pair RD more than a winger.

But they are of the same ilk. We need both. Because the rest of the team knows jack shit about winning.

Both are incredible composure players.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Great breakdown on tsn690 of the Oilers missing in drafting Matt Barzal and trading that 1st round +++ pick for Griffin Reinhart who was projected as the next Chris Pronger but became the next Lassi Thomson. They went through the fallout, the need to then trade Hall to find a Dman who could play D for them. Also went through other missed picks and the fallout - Arizona taking that dude before Marner, Raatanen falling to Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad