Did we even notice, Hanifin to Vegas.

DATETRADE DETAILS
Mar. 7, 2024

Vegas Golden Knights Acquire:
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights

From PHI:
Noah Hanifin
($1,237,500 retained - 50%) · $1,237,500
Mikhail Vorobyov · $0 (AHL/JR) (Signing Rights)

Sum: $1,237,500
Change: +$475,000
Trade

Calgary Flames Acquire:
Logo of the Calgary Flames

From VGK:
Daniil Miromanov · $762,500
2025 1st round pick (VGK) [Conditional]*
2025 3rd round pick (VGK) [Conditional]**

*Conditions: If traded by March 10, 2024 OR if the pick is top 10, Calgary will instead receive 2026 1st round 'VGK'
**Conditions: Upgrades to 2025 2nd round pick 'VGK' if Vegas wins 1 playoff round in 2023-24
Sum: $762,500
Change: -$1,712,500
Trade

Philadelphia Flyers Acquire:
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers

From CGY:
Noah Hanifin
($2,475,000 retained - 50%) · $2,475,000
From VGK:
2024 5th round pick (VGK)

Sum: $2,475,000
Change: +$1,237,500

Fun condition by Vegas, they reserve the right to use the 2025 1st in some other TDL trade.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's definitely shady as hell. I'd bet $20 that the league won't ever do anything about it, but I do wish there'd be some bandaid over this shenanigans. Either cap or no cap. No half measures. Solutions could include some form of cap for the playoffs (complicated yes b/c players don't get the same salary schedule), abiding by a cap hit each playoff game, or doing away with retention over 50%. The latter I think is the easiest bandaid.
In my opinion there's a simple solution to this. In the playoffs, the 20 man roster must not exceed the in-season salary cap. The last year that Tampa won it, they iced a 20 man roster that was something like $90 million. Seems like a simple solution. That way injured players could come back for the playoffs, but you couldn't ice a team that likely wouldn't be significantly above the cap were it regular season.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
In my opinion there's a simple solution to this. In the playoffs, the 20 man roster must not exceed the in-season salary cap. The last year that Tampa won it, they iced a 20 man roster that was something like $90 million. Seems like a simple solution. That way injured players could come back for the playoffs, but you couldn't ice a team that likely wouldn't be significantly above the cap were it regular season.
I still lean towards you have to be on the active roster by the last game of the season (and the team cap complaint) or you have to sit at least the first round before being eligible to play.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I still lean towards you have to be on the active roster by the last game of the season (and the team cap complaint) or you have to sit at least the first round before being eligible to play.
Players will never go for that. And if a player is legitimately hurt but recovers in time to play in the 1st round, they shouldn't be penalized.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Avs are adding some beef to try to get through the West after all these adds from other teams. They will need it to help Mittlestadt.

Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Players will never go for that. And if a player is legitimately hurt but recovers in time to play in the 1st round, they shouldn't be penalized.
If they're healthy enough to play in the 1st round then they can be on the active roster for the final regular season game.

That being said, I agree the PA wouldn't go for it without some pretty big concessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: geehaad

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Simpler solution would just be that anyone you THINK might play in playoffs must be activated off IR by TDL (or even the week before)...they can still be effectively on IR but must be calculated into the cap. That would not punish players but could stop a lot of this IR shenanigans. Of course teams would just shift their IR timeline ahead but still, it would alleviate a lot

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Gustav Forsling signed a big extension in Florida. Is there a reason the Borg didn't keep him around? Seems like he would have been an upgrade over Bean and/or Fleury.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Simpler solution would just be that anyone you THINK might play in playoffs must be activated off IR by TDL (or even the week before)...they can still be effectively on IR but must be calculated into the cap. That would not punish players but could stop a lot of this IR shenanigans. Of course teams would just shift their IR timeline ahead but still, it would alleviate a lot
Again, the key issue for me is that teams no longer have to adhere to the salary cap for their entire roster (which is fine by me). The big issue remains the 20 players iced for a particular game. My point is, you can't exceed the cap with those 20 guys (I'm looking at you Tampa and you Vegas). Seems like a simple alternative....but again, it might go against the PA's grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad