Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It was a great game, ruined by a shootout.

Honestly it felt so anti-climactic, like USA and Canada tied, then had a post-game round of beer-pong to settle who got to keep the medal.

And yeah, I know it's always been that way in international hockey. I hope there's enough blowback after this that they change it. It's the ****ing Olympics, NBC isn't going to cut away to late-night TV just cause the OTs went long.

As far as the Brassard trade, I think PIT is looking really good.

Reactions: TorMenT

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's 5m for this year and next, with a modified NTC.
wow I was spot on!

these two guys are very similar players on ice and contract wise - I am hopeful if/when we move AA -possibly draft we can get something close to this even if we have to eat 20% retention, I can live with 2018 1st and a prospect back for AA.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It was a great game, ruined by a shootout.

Honestly it felt so anti-climactic, like USA and Canada tied, then had a post-game round of beer-pong to settle who got to keep the medal.

And yeah, I know it's always been that way in international hockey. I hope there's enough blowback after this that they change it. It's the ****ing Olympics, NBC isn't going to cut away to late-night TV just cause the OTs went long.

As far as the Brassard trade, I think PIT is looking really good.

That game never should have been decided by a shootout. BUT THAT WINNING GOAL THOUGH. Holy hell.

Never. I even said it to myself when it happened I think...

But yeah, Lamoreaux's SO winner was disgusting. I think I even saw Kane comment on it somewhere.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
wow I was spot on!

these two guys are very similar players on ice and contract wise - I am hopeful if/when we move AA -possibly draft we can get something close to this even if we have to eat 20% retention, I can live with 2018 1st and a prospect back for AA.

Convince Washington then need another center and retain 20% and then get a 1st and Samsonov. Hell add a pick going the other way if needed.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Convince Washington then need another center and retain 20% and then get a 1st and Samsonov. Hell add a pick going the other way if needed.

yep, even better that helps that goalie pipeline.

not sure if the Caps have the luxury of a $4.5 mil #3 center (with a 20% retention) with Carlson's contract coming up...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
yep, even better that helps that goalie pipeline.

not sure if the Caps have the luxury of a $4.5 mil #3 center (with a 20% retention) with Carlson's contract coming up...

Carlson will get a stupid money offer elsewhere so I doubt he resigns.

It screams Detroit offering big money if they can or Colorado.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Vegas apparently got in on the Brassard deal to steer him away from the West, specifically the Jets.

In other words, Vegas might've just earned their first bit of animosity from another franchise.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Vegas apparently got in on the Brassard deal to steer him away from the West, specifically the Jets.

In other words, Vegas might've just earned their first bit of animosity from another franchise.
This may be off base, but it's always struck me that hockey's culture of GMs "playing nice" was a bit silly. Do what's best for your team. Good for them.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Its just disappointing Vegas recused Pitt from the foolish Ryan Reaves to protect players acquisition

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This may be off base, but it's always struck me that hockey's culture of GMs "playing nice" was a bit silly. Do what's best for your team. Good for them.

It makes sense. Why limit your options unnecessarily? Outside of not sending out offer sheets, I don't think GMs are doing anything overly nice anyway.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It makes sense. Why limit your options unnecessarily? Outside of not sending out offer sheets, I don't think GMs are doing anything overly nice anyway.
To me the offer sheet is a big deal. In other sports you see teams trying to "screw" other teams out of players. I remember the rockets signing Asik to an offer sheet that was structured in a way where his salary would skyrocket the last year of the deal which was the same year Roses contract would be up.

Maybe I'm off on how frequently it happens but it seems like it's a couple no go in the NHL or else you'll be challenged to a barn fight. Ironically of course McPhee did punch a Hawks coach (alpho, Lauren malken? I forget) in the face once, lol.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
To me the offer sheet is a big deal. In other sports you see teams trying to "screw" other teams out of players. I remember the rockets signing Asik to an offer sheet that was structured in a way where his salary would skyrocket the last year of the deal which was the same year Roses contract would be up.

Maybe I'm off on how frequently it happens but it seems like it's a couple no go in the NHL or else you'll be challenged to a barn fight. Ironically of course McPhee did punch a Hawks coach (alpho, Lauren malken? I forget) in the face once, lol.

well on the main board there is a thought that: Arizona could offer sheet Matthews for like $13-14 mil per season for 8-9 years....how on Earth would Toronto be able to match that??? That would give Arizona the home grown star to actually get people in their place and Toronto would get 4 first round picks if that happened.

do I feel that will happen? Not really, but shit would be hilarious to see the Yotes step up and f*** over the Maple Leafs!!

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
On a night where Bobrovsky, unfortunately, reminded me why he's been my favorite goalie to watch for the last few years...some other goaltender notes/thoughts:

-Vasilevsky with two sick saves to win shootout tonight. He's right there behind Bob in watchability.

-Isles, I predict,will pick up Raanta. Or, at least, they should.

-Another tough night for Darling. Really feel bad for him. Hope he can bounce back next year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Hahaha, this would be so ridiculous, I almost want to see it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00