Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Trouba ain’t worth that

He'd be like 1mil overpaid tops.

Guy is a fantastic defender and he's only 24. I'd pay 8mil for him through his prime on the Blackhawks.

he is not, but certainly puts the Jets in a massively tough spot - do they keep Trouba or move him to keep Stastny?? not sure what they do, but Trouba is obviously playing hard ball and wants to go to a US city IMO.

I don't think that's a particularly tough decision at all...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He'd be like 1mil overpaid tops.

Guy is a fantastic defender and he's only 24. I'd pay 8mil for him through his prime on the Blackhawks.

I don't think that's a particularly tough decision at all...
seems to be as they really want to keep Stastny and can't have both...plus Trouba isn't worth Hedman money, he is highballing here so Jets can move him..I do not see him getting $8mil per

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Trouba is very talented but what he is asking for is high. Some people like Connor Murphy and some don't, personally I think he is a good defenseman that has some more defensive upside and while he is limited offensively he is not inept. The trade would clear needed cap space, give the Jets a Dman who can help now (who is cost controlled), and a D prospect with top 4 potential.

:hawks
Connor Murphy
Ian Mitchell (high end prospect)
B prospect
a conditional pick

:jets
Trouba
Mason

Doubt it would be enough but you never know.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Trouba for Seabrook. Cost controlled, top 4 RHD that can bring some cup pedigree to their room. Dial up Chevy.

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A

Could be why Ward is an better financial option for this year.

3 years at 4 mil would be a big price to pay if Hutton doesn't pan out.

Look at Carolina with Darling last year.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
What if Tavares does sign with TOR on a 1+8 covert? It is technically a legal ploy under the CBS. ...that TOR would give him a 1yr max deal for $15.9 now ...but Jan.2st they then could extend him another 8 years start g in 2019/20 ...thus they could hint that they would give him the same money as NYI is promising for 8 years NOW INCLUDING a bit more for the inconvenience of waiting game 3 mnths after the start of the season to "secure" a long term deal....In effect this really would be a 9 year understood deal ...technically legal but sort of circumventing g the spirit of the CBS, would most not agree? Remember ...when Chicago gave the long term deal to Hossa when there was no term limit in the CBS ...Gary Bettman arbitraily uled they were attempts smelling of circumventing to effectively lower the annual cap hits because he suspected Hossa would never complete the term given his age in the final years of very low salary towards the end of the deal ..In the 1+8 you do not have that aspect. ..BUT like I'm the flagged contracts with re-capture such as with Hissa's contract,there IS a sort of "unkosjer" circumventing going on in that 1.The 8 vs. 7 advantage his current club has over other suitors is effectively broken by such a 9 year strategy which "gets around "that home side advantage ...such advantage being written into the CBA to protect the chances of his current club being able to possibly retain him from being enticed enough to leave such that any monetary components of an offer would make his current team somewhat equivalent or maybe greater in any competition to get him to sign....and 2. It effectively gives becomes a 9 vs.8 advantage to any suitor team that has the 1yr cap space to try this thus as well as a 9 vs.7 advantage to such suitor team over all other suitor teams ..so that not only is his current team up the Ying Yang, if they cannot also offer a 1 yr max contract then an understanding they would extend for 8 more years ...but also it limits the number of other suitors who "nornally" would make reasonably attractive 7 year offers but who could not make any max contract 1 yr offer to even get to the possibility of an 8 year extention January 1st 2019...Because Toronto is in a lucky 1 year "window" to be able to go max contract..Not many suitor clubs are in such a cap "window" t9 construct such a deal.

Thus to me it would seem the 1+8 is too limited and lucky to apply to enough suitors to legitimize this kind of going against st the spirit of the CBA if not the actual law of the CBA...The idea for going UFA is to let the player go to the most attractive place he wants to play for providing the monetary value to him suffices ..
BUT the monetary implications of any team in position for 1+8 sort of skew the monetary incentives to perhaps only 1 team or at least far fewer suitor teams maybe even including his current team because so few teams have both cap space and financial resources to cone up with max Co tracts for 1 yr where it is also likely that most of that 1 yr deal would be up front signing bonus anyway ..Not many teams could natch the opportunity Toronto has to try this ploy ..

So would Bettman and the NHL ALLOW any 8 year extention of this 1 yr max contract as "circumvention" and reduce it to only a 6 year possible extention to "even up" the effects with the original intentb9fvthe CBA ?

Who knows?All I know is that Leafs would have use a "loophole" though a different "loophole" than the Hawks used to entice Hossa. ..both "loopholes" in their effects produced a way around some of the obstacles a team faced in providing something "more" than the spirit of the CBA contemplated with its rules for free agency ..And so here we have not. .IF the NHL refuses to limit the 1 +8 ploy then I think Hawks and others have a good case for claiming some kind of bias by the league in favor of the Leafs or any other team trying such a ploy if their cap circumstances permitted such a strategy ...because of non the past some clubs tried circumventing the CBA to their advantage,the 1 +8 ploy team would also be trying a circumvention via a loophole in the CBA.

To prevent this ever cropping up again,any new CBA should penalize a 1+8 ploy except for a pending Ufa'scurrent team to use it ....such that any mon-current team trying this ploy would see them 9nly being able to use the normal 7 consecutive years Total effect ...such ice that they may offer a 1 year max but then only be permitted a 6 year extention off that ..to grant them an 8 year extention in effect means a 9 year total effect deal ..and that was never contemplated for suitors as opposed to an 8 year for his current club. ..UNFAIR to both current club and to the number of possible other suitors .besides the club trying the 1+8 ploy.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I suppose they don't follow the team nearly as closely as we do but it amazes me that so few hockey people realize how much Seabs is struggling. And those that do touch upon it, can't see that the main problem with Seabs is how he is being utilized. Seabrook can no longer be in the top 2 Dman and the 20+ minutes of ice time it entails. In the last 2 seasons or so, when his ice time was reduced he was a contributor, especially offensively. Unfortunately, the reduced ice time hasn't happened often enough.

Maybe Q feels he has no option, and in this case I can understand that thinking given the state of Hawks back end.... but if Kempny was given a proper chance to become a regular Dman in Chicago (from day one) perhaps the temptation of the HC to overplay Seabs would be less prevalent.

Unless Stan does pick up a Dman who is capable to play in the top pair, at least part-time, I don't see much changing next season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A lot of hockey people do this all the time

Look back to 2008 when talking heads were trying to say that Wings should have kept playing Hasek when it was clear to everyone he was done and Osgood was better option

People look at guys they respect or admire and don't want to see the shell of former self they are

We saw it with Roenick at end as well when teams probably should have walked away from him but he kept in game despite being a shell of his former self because of reputation , etc

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
Seabrook certainly is a lot slower but still plays smart and if used properly is still a decent defense man. Bowman needs to reel in at least one serviceable top 4 defense man. There is no way they can go into the next year with the same defense as this past year even if guys like Keith does pick up his game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad