Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Tavares sweepstakes going wild. I'm already trying to mentally prepare myself for him not going to Toronto and the cries from the north seeking a reason to blame other than him just preferring to play somewhere else.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's my expectation as well, but can never be too sure how much of a poisoned relationship he may or may not have with the Isles, even under new management. That being said, I think I saw a ridiculous rumored 8 year, $88 million offer from the Isles, so it's damn hard to turn down what'd be the second biggest contract in the league until Matthews gets a tad north of that. He might get a bit more take home money if he decided to go to a place like Tampa or Dallas or Vegas and not deal with a state income tax and be inarguably closer to Cup contention, though.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Tavares sweepstakes going wild. I'm already trying to mentally prepare myself for him not going to Toronto and the cries from the north seeking a reason to blame other than him just preferring to play somewhere else.

Its pretty clear to me its just another Stamkos situation

He is not moving on

Also the Leafs fans need to realize the much maligned JVR and Bozak provide them with quality depth and when they depart this summer it will hurt Leafs

Reactions: CanadianHawks

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
You're probably right, but there is a bit of a difference between a stable franchise from an arena perspective that's legitimately close to winning a Cup versus the Isles. There's at least that difference between the Stamkos and Tavares situations.

Again though, $11 million aav is a lot of cash money.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
there is no way he wants to go play in that mess of a media city in Toronto. too much pressure, labeled the savior, just better off staying where he is or going to the coast.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But we all know Leafs will land him...home area.....Probably their "creative "offer is a 1 +8 ...1 yr max $15.9 mostly bonus up front cash in bank then p robably as much as Isles would be giving him force years now of he re-sign with Leafs in a year..Course it would be only their talking point sort of promise ..but still I guess if Tavares goes Toewsiff the cliff p-poor there would be a risk Leafs renege on that 8 yr follow up indication. .But still he could put them over the top to work a Cup this season then decide to go 8 with them next season or even go back to Uncle Liu and the Isles or to tax -free Vegas to go for 8 big ones there..And so even a 1 year high priced rental with a sort of option could be an attractive thought for Tavares...unless he is worried about pre'mature career -end g injury ...but Rentals always take that risk anyway ...so probably not a big concern..But you never know..IF he wants a 1+8 then Leafs will get him at least for this season. .Maybe a better chance at the Cup while Liu takes a few years to shore up NYI..so he could decode to "go forbit" as a 2 yr hope of making a real Cup contender ..which ain't gonna happen with NYI this season. HE THEN still would be Ufa again after the season and either find another max contract 1 yr rental deal for the next Cup hope team that is close OR go back to NYI if new arena deal done and /or Lou has assembled a better teM with him to put then over the top..O R he cam sign the 8th year deal then at the best $$$ offer.

So why not go to Leafs?At least for 1 season..They have the cap room and cN offer the max $15.9 million...it would be crazy not to try it ..then he still has lots of option for a big 8 year payday.after this season ..but first he should consult a fortune teller and an astrological chart ...just to insure will not have any career ending injury in his rental season I Toronto.

Yep..Leafs can get creative..the 1+8 idea is brilliant.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Tavares is truly interested in winning a SC, I reckon he will be looking very seriously at Toronto and all the challenges that come with it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Burrows was an irritant and wildly overrated as a player by Vancouver fans, but he was never a legitimate danger to other players.

He's worthy of mockery, but I can't work up any disdain.

Raffi Torres is the former Canuck I hate most. And he's thankfully been out of the league for awhile.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad