Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Montreal just can't score. And combined with the fact that they can't keep the puck out of their net....utterly bad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They are in a lot trouble. Really locked into an aging core, and don't look like contenders. There only real option is to offer Turris a big deal in the off-season, as I don't think they can realistically afford JT.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
They are in a lot trouble. Really locked into an aging core, and don't look like contenders. There only real option is to offer Turris a big deal in the off-season, as I don't think they can realistically afford JT.

I don't think JT to Montreal was ever realistic other than wishful thinking in any case. Why would JT go there? They don't necessarily have the best talent around them.

Carolina would probably be the best landing spot for JT if it was purely about winning with young, growing talent.

I caught the Oilers game last night and while they got shelled, that Carolina team is very resilient. I catch a few out of town games pretty regularly (moreso these days because the Leafs are good now)....but last night, Slavin had one of the best D performances I've seen in a regular season game in a long time. The guy was all over the ice, defensively, even pinched a few times for a 2 on 1 and scored on one of them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think JT to Montreal was ever realistic other than wishful thinking in any case. Why would JT go there? They don't necessarily have the best talent around them.

Carolina would probably be the best landing spot for JT if it was purely about winning with young, growing talent.

I caught the Oilers game last night and while they got shelled, that Carolina team is very resilient. I catch a few out of town games pretty regularly (moreso these days because the Leafs are good now)....but last night, Slavin had one of the best D performances I've seen in a regular season game in a long time. The guy was all over the ice, defensively, even pinched a few times for a 2 on 1 and scored on one of them.
Yeah, I can't see him going to Carolian. I think he either gets overpaid to stay with the Isles or takes a discount to contend. Most playoff teams can't afford him.

I'd say his best landing spot if they can figure out how to make it work cap-wise is Columbus.

Reactions: firstemperor

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And Price's $10.5 mill contract extension doesn't kick in until next season.

hand to heart that was the stupidest contract Montreal could have done. It doesn't matter that it's "Price." There is no way you should sink that much money into a goaltender . I remember when everyone went whaaaaaatt. when Lundquvist had his contract. it is nuts.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Around the league.

MTL broke their team. BFL broke their team, EDM in the process of breaking their team. VAN sucks.

Hilarious times

Reactions: Critical

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver too. If the Sedins haven't won you a cup by now, they're not going to do it at 37. I've heard great things about Boeser and Demko though, so they're at least starting to build toward the future.

responding to this in full.
this is where NMC's hurt. - and why I don't like them at all in any form and in a sense - while I respect the loyalty of what the Sedins are doing (wanna stick with the team, - just like Mats did) - at this rate, you're gonna get paid regardless. if you actually cared about the fanbase/franchise as is claimed - why not let yourself be traded, get some assets and let them move on. (or - like Price - be loyal to the team but then take ona 10.5m cap hit when your team flipping can't score and help you win anything). I understand, and get that players shouldn't have to think about the GM job but i will always argue it's a two way street here. especially in a cap world.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am not sure why no one talk about Blue Jackets. I think this team is for real and going to challenger for the division

Very balanced squad from top to time

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I am not sure why no one talk about Blue Jackets. I think this team is for real and going to challenger for the division

Very balanced squad from top to time

probably due to two things

1: Torts
2: Bobvrosky.

they were milquetoast after their 16 game winning streak.. (AND they are buried under 2x cup champs and , underachieving Rangers, and perpetual Cinderella Caps). i think if they stay steady more will talk about the Jackets.

I've always liked them (though i do think they can get a touch dirty).

Reactions: MJ65

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
this is where NMC's hurt. - and why I don't like them at all in any form and in a sense - while I respect the loyalty of what the Sedins are doing (wanna stick with the team, - just like Mats did) - at this rate, you're gonna get paid regardless. if you actually cared about the fanbase/franchise as is claimed - why not let yourself be traded, get some assets and let them move on. (or - like Price - be loyal to the team but then take ona 10.5m cap hit when your team flipping can't score and help you win anything). I understand, and get that players shouldn't have to think about the GM job but i will always argue it's a two way street here. especially in a cap world.

Not only that, they're in the twilight of their career with a team that appears to be heading in the wrong direction. Loyalty is great, but why not take the chance at winning a cup with a legit contender while you still have a chance (like Bourque did), rather than slowly fading into retirement. Like you said, you give your old team/fans at least some return to build off of, rather than have your contract expire and they get nothing but a couple of holes in their lineup.

Reactions: MJ65

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Not only that, they're in the twilight of their career with a team that appears to be heading in the wrong direction. Loyalty is great, but why not take the chance at winning a cup with a legit contender while you still have a chance (like Bourque did), rather than slowly fading into retirement. Like you said, you give your old team/fans at least some return to build off of, rather than have your contract expire and they get nothing but a couple of holes in their lineup.

same as Doan. and the answer is clear: people get comfortable.
I will admit as a fan of a previous bad team ;) I did get angry when people like Hossa, or Iglina etc, went "cup chasing" because I do think if you went on a team that clearly needed HELP (like they are young and need that boot up their bum and could deal with their experience) - help be that change. I'll always feel like that. like there are some teams that can easily be pushed over the hump - vs. just choosing to go with Pit/Chi for example because it's "easy"

But i also have the side eye for players who are all like "meh. I'll stay I "love" the team, I know we can turn the corner."
like seriously? What Corner do the Sedins see that Vancouver can turn that they can win a cup this year or next year?
their loyalty is hurting the team (actually their instance on playing with each other is hurting the team. who is capable of eating 14m in contract?)

Reactions: Elephanto

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It's why I sometimes get a bit wary when I hear of wanting to unite lines (IIRC, there were rumours about Marner-Dvorak-Tkachuk with us) or brothers (not sure if there were ever any about the Nylanders) on a team. Might not be the exact same situation as the Sedins, but the idea seems all fine and well...unless the time comes when you think about wanting to trade one of the components. It's certainly tough to move both, particularly with the cap. The NMCs definitely add to the situation too.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
It's why I sometimes get a bit wary when I hear of wanting to unite lines (IIRC, there were rumours about Marner-Dvorak-Tkachuk with us) or brothers (not sure if there were ever any about the Nylanders) on a team. Might not be the exact same situation as the Sedins, but the idea seems all fine and well...unless the time comes when you think about wanting to trade one of the components. It's certainly tough to move both, particularly with the cap. The NMCs definitely add to the situation too.

I remember being on the "Unite the Schenns" bandwagon. Thank God that never ended up happening (and we got a JVR out of it :)). Luckily for the Flyers, the Schenns weren't really in a powerful negotiating position, so they were able to ship out one Schenn and keep the other.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I think it's unfair to demand players waive rights they negotiated for. I can understand why the Sedin's don't want to be traded, they seem to love Vancouver and their kids and families have grown up there and go to school there.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think it's unfair to demand players waive rights they negotiated for. I can understand why the Sedin's don't want to be traded, they seem to love Vancouver and their kids and families have grown up there and go to school there.

which is why - as i said.
i don't like these clauses at all. and I think it should be a two way street.

and as i said - basically. they don't want to move - because they are comfortable. which fine. their right.
however i also think it's unfair that you have to fix your team and you have 14 million dollars in declining assets and you can't move them out and it's hurting you moving forward and you lose your job over it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

i think the Nylanders was more tongue in cheek.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
which is why - as i said.
i don't like these clauses at all. and I think it should be a two way street.

and as i said - basically. they don't want to move - because they are comfortable. which fine. their right.
however i also think it's unfair that you have to fix your team and you have 14 million dollars in declining assets and you can't move them out and it's hurting you moving forward and you lose your job over it.

They are a two way street though, if I take less money in exchange for job security I shouldn't be shamed into giving it up. We've also seen players sign cap friendly deals with NTC to stay with teams and do their part and then be traded because their cap hits make them more worthwhile to trade.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They are a two way street though, if I take less money in exchange for job security I shouldn't be shamed into giving it up. We've also seen players sign cap friendly deals with NTC to stay with teams and do their part and then be traded because their cap hits make them more worthwhile to trade.

it shouldn't be static. it should be fluid that's all i'm saying.
like ultimately. this is where I am going to say this is why i hate the cap. it's stupid, and it prevents people from actually doing their jobs properly. and quite frankly i'd rather overpay people and not have NMC/NTC anything like that than "save money" and hamstring my team. and I don't think for one moment that most people who do want to have an NMC/NTC is doing ti for "less" money they are doing it for control/leverage. which is fine. their right. but that doesn't mean I like it. and people will constantly go "well the GM doesn't have to." please.

people have to be moved for work ALL the time. I don't see why in sports it should be any different.
and again I never said anything about shamed.
all i know if the whole goal is to win a championship - (Which the Sedins said) then why are you staying in Vancouver where the lilihood of this happening is not possible while you are there? (Same with Doan ). They don't have to feel shame for wanting to stay where they are. it's their right. but I think being questioned about exactly what they see this team can do with their cap hits, and the flux of this team and how exactly THEY are helping the team achieve WINNING (which is what they want) - without hurting/stunting the development of their youth.

that's all questions we asked/demanded/stated when Sundin + Co were here (heck that was asked when Kessel and co were here).

i don't get why that can't be asked and I'd actually would love an answer that wasn't a pat one. (from them - or Doan, or anyone ie: Sundin that matter. not you :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad