Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Congrats to Malcolm Subban on beating the Bruins last night - always nice to see the Bruins loose but even better when it's a former player sticking it to them. Also, nice to Leipsic in the NHL and having a positive game last night.

Reactions: Anthrax442

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I want every one to watch these Highlights from Sens / Oilers game from last Saturday - I know it's way early in the season but how awful oilers were this Saturday

I feel sorry for our guys about defensive lapses but this one terrible - please look at the last scored by Turris. Please keep in mind this was a back to back night for the Sens (Western swing) and Oilers were well rested

Please watch every single goal - there was absolutely no coverage and Senators were just skating at will

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Cans are very fast team that does not seat back even with the lead.
Oilers lost 4 straight/ Run and gun hockey does not work for them so far this season.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Was it a good night or what!?

We win.

Ottawa gets shutout by Vancouver (hahahahahahahaha!)

The Edmonton '5 peat starting this year coz Matthews is just a skilled grinder but McDavid will be better than Wayne Gretzky! In fact he already is!' Oilers losing to the definition of an average team.

The Buffalo superior PPG players losing 4-2 to an expansion team (and I caught the first two periods, they weren't outplaying them but getting bad puck luck either), edit: spoke too soon they tied it up going into ot, edit 2: Still they couldn't close!

Montreal leading the Rasmus Dahlin sweepsteaks down to the Sharks as we speak. Habs board in 5 years will be complaining about Bergevin playing him 12 minutes a night with Jordie Benn or something, or traded to Boston for then 36 year old Patrice Bergeron.

Winnipaper Tigers lost to Columbus, Lainec with the 0-0 line but Connor with his 1st of the year ('HE HAS AS MANY GOALS AS MARNER!') so we've got that to look forward to.

Unfortunately the Bolts unable to slow New Jersey's roll, Philly fans soon to return to Gostisyear levels of obnoxiousness and it would be nice to see Phoenix win, but overall not bad...

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So how long can this Vegas team continue to win? Most people, including myself, expected them to not be very good. Are they just riding a high?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a start for this expansion team Vegas - the best start by an expansion in their 1st season in NHL's history

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's fun to watch Vegas have this early success but doubt it'll last.

Their games look like they have a good atmosphere bough, I think a lot of folks pessimistic takes that folks won't want to watch hockey in the deeert there are looking to be off base

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's going to be a big game for Montreal if some how they can win this game - look like the morale of this team is pretty low

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

4. We make a big deal out of everything, but remember that it’s not unusual for Marc Bergevin to go west ahead of his team. At least twice previously during his tenure, he’s travelled to California prior to a Golden State road trip. That said, the Islanders and Canadiens are sensible trade partners. New York’s in win-now mode and is one of the few teams with legit defensive depth. Ryan Pulock, whom they protected in the expansion draft, has not played yet.

5. The trade market tends to be very slow at this time of the season, but I started to hear the name Sam Reinhart last weekend. Reinhart scored his first of the season Sunday, although it took an NHL review a day later to confirm it.

I don’t think it would surprise Sabres fans to hear this, but, after checking around, my sense is Buffalo doesn’t want to do anything rash. It’s a new regime, it’s been five games, and you want to make sure you really know what you’ve got unless something spectacular drops on you. Might be something to watch later in the year. Also with Buffalo, I get the sense people (not just the Sabres) want to see Alex Nylander play. He’s injured at AHL Rochester.

6. It’s no secret Washington is looking for defencemen. Everyone talks Vegas, but the Capitals and Golden Knights couldn’t make a Philipp Grubauer trade to protect Nate Schmidt in the expansion draft, so I don’t know how easy it will be. Vegas’s preference is to move from the left side. Tuesday’s three scratches all shoot that way — Jason Garrison, Brayden McNabb and Griffin Reinhart. Another lefty shot, Luca Sbisa, has four assists in six games.

7. Two years ago, Los Angeles and San Jose were among those who asked Boston about Zdeno Chara. Last summer, I think there were others. (There were rumblings about Toronto, but that was refuted by everyone involved. So don’t go crazy on it.) If the Bruins continue to struggle, it will only heat up. But GM Don Sweeney re-iterated on the weekend that his plan is to re-sign the future Hall of Famer and talks are under way to do so.

8. Boy, Connor Murphy is in a tough spot. Chicago coach Joel Quenneville has sat him twice, and, as it stands, he’s battling with Cody Franson for the third spot on the right side, behind Brent Seabrook and Jan Rutta. The difficult thing for Murphy is he’s kind of like Shea Weber was last year, a guy who becomes a political football without asking for any of it. It’s no secret the Blackhawks internally were split on the Niklas Hjalmarsson deal.

You can tell he’s uncomfortable, worried about making a mistake. It’s very hard to play like that. With the pressure this season in Chicago, the Blackhawks’ coaches can’t wait for him to tiptoe into the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad