Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
If that was the case, then Kadri would have been in the NHL asap instead of toiling away in the AHL. Coaches have to balance the short-term and long-term successes of their teams with the information and players they are given.

Coaches try to shelter their rookies for the sake of their development. It was obvious from the start of the season that the hottest thing in the desert was the tire fire this team was. Tippett did the smart thing in easing 19 year old Crouse into the lineup and gradually giving him PK duties. For a young, physically developing player, focusing more on tape and physical development is useful--that's one of the benefits of going the NCAA route.

In the first WJC, Crouse, Paul and Gauthier made up Canada's very successful fourth line. You're not expected to score tons in that scenario. However, as the next year shows, Crouse was able to produce when he was given minutes and quality linemates. In his second go-around, he was an assistant and was tied for second in scoring with Brayden Point behind only Marner and Strome.

Are you using AAA production and comparing him to Konecny? If we're going down that road, he outproduced Konecny in Midget so big whoop. But yeah, I guess he was so bad that he was only the 5th overall pick in the OHL draft. Right.

Context is important. His team was in the basement in goals production in his draft year--Spencer Watson was hurt and he was one of the few weapons on the team. The fact they were so successful the next year was due to the injection of talent: a full year of Watson, acquiring MDC and Descrocher helped Kingston change their system so they didn't have to grind out every game.

You're looking at his rookie season on an anemic team and coming to that conclusion. Not every rookie season goes the way of the Marners and the Matthews of the world.

FWIW Crouse outscored Colborne this year. Isn't it weird how playing with good players is good for your stats and playing with not so good players is not so good for your stats? I think this holds especially true for "passengers" like Crouse.

You're forgetting that he was the 11th pick, not first overall pick. And there's many instances of "passengers" being key players on very good lines and teams. The issue with your "production" argument is that the Coyotes have been a terrible offensive team ever since Whitney left. Last year, OEL was suffering from personal issues and wasn't himself, and Duclair took a nosedive in production. If things stay the same, Crouse is probably going to score around 20-28 points next year. Still wouldn't mean that he's a bust. But if he finds chemistry with the shiny new toy in Keller or with Dvorak and also gets to play more than 11min/game (which he should) he's gonna produce.

Alright cookie im doing this rapid fire style
On kadri: No that isn't right, wilson was still in win now mode, wasn't interested in developing players. The argument which supports my philosphy would be that kadri didn't have the necessary skill at that time to play in that top 6 capacity. Now, the difference between the 2 situations is that kadri's skill set and junior production give him a longer leash. It is foolish to believe that draft position doesn't impact future opportunities. As I said though, kadri's leash would certainly be longer than crouse's and that really isn't debatable. You also have to keep and mind that the context is much different. The coyotes of 2017 were very much an aimless team that really had nothing to play for after november, there was amble opportunity for crouse to play higher in the lineup. You can't really argue that the team had nothing to lose and also choose not to fully develop the potential within their rookie players.

On the rookie production:
I don't have time to do this, but if u look up the average ppg of top 15 forwards in their draft year (lets just say those who play at least 50 games) im sure he would be much lower than the mean. I don't understand how u think im equating him with matthews? matthews is one of the best rookies in the history of the game and he got what? a .8 ppg? simple math dictates that .15ppg would be 5 or so standard deviations away from that, so imho i'd say that qualifies as the low end, so i'm not sure what you are trying to say there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
First of all, i'm not your pal. I don't befriend people who are unable to utilize deductive reasoning skills, they are too much of a liability. Theres nothing else for me to say here, i'm just sorry that you are too narrow minded, and I am also sorry that you abide by the expect failure and diminish standards/expectations foolish philosophy. Crouse is a bust as I have defined above, and I really don't care if you want to accept it or not. I can tell by your trollish nature that you never came into this conversation with the intention of having meaningful back and forth discussions, and for that, I am ignoring you.

You're probably right, I'm the troll here. I'm the guy who came in, made a logic post on expectations then backed it up with a study on those expectations.

Crazy me, I should have just assumed he'd be an offensive catalyst. Afterall, he is an 11th overall pick, so you'd think he'd produce like one....oh wait, they don't usually produce like offensive catalysts. You mention deductive reasoning, but you don't seem to grasp the concept or be able to apply it. Your response to the article shows that.

You have no interest in a logic discussion, that's apparent in your posts. How many shots have you taken at people in your responses? Don't cry because you're getting the same treatment right back.

And why can't we be pals? Looks like you could use a friend right now.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
"Oh he went 11th overall, he isn't expected to be an offensive catalyst". What the hell are you talking about? What you fail to realize is if that logic exists then you must accept that drafting players based on completeness or "2 way play" is a scam.

You know what's funny? I'm betting at least some of the people arguing about Crouse here have used the whole "He's a first round draft pick; you shouldn't draft non-offensive players here!" argument to argue that drafting Gauthier was a stupid move. If it's a stupid move at 23, how in the hell is it okay at 11? And then the team that drafted him traded him before he turned 19... Of course, that's not an argument for or against anything, but unless the GM's being a moron (JFJ), you generally don't trade guys that young unless it's for a really good player. What'd Florida get for Crouse? He was thrown into the Dave Bolland cap dump... and basically traded for a 2nd and a 3rd. No one sees a problem with this, that his value dropped THAT much in a year?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The fact that teams have to give compensation to teams for coaches they sacked is one of the most insane things about the NHL and think of the ground that covers.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The fact that teams have to give compensation to teams for coaches they sacked is one of the most insane things about the NHL and think of the ground that covers.

because the NHL is dumb. this is how it should have gone.

Compensation:
If you an executive - you lose a 2nd round pick.
If you are an NHL Ass. Coach - you lose a 3rd round pick
If you are an AHL coach - you lose a 4th round pick.

if your contract is over -
if a coach - your contract is over when your team is eliminated.
if executive - your contract is over July 1st

no compensation.

IF YOU ARE FIRED - NO COMPENSATIOn.
actually your compensation is no more paying the fired guys' salary.

how you screw that up is beyond me.

Babs shouldn't have had a pick
Lou does.
Torts shouldn't have.
Shero shouldn't have.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
because the NHL is dumb. this is how it should have gone.

Compensation:
If you an executive - you lose a 2nd round pick.
If you are an NHL Ass. Coach - you lose a 3rd round pick
If you are an AHL coach - you lose a 4th round pick.

if your contract is over -
if a coach - your contract is over when your team is eliminated.
if executive - your contract is over July 1st

no compensation.

IF YOU ARE FIRED - NO COMPENSATIOn.
actually your compensation is no more paying the fired guys' salary.

how you screw that up is beyond me.

Babs shouldn't have had a pick
Lou does.
Torts shouldn't have.
Shero shouldn't have.
It was Detroit who set the rules as to what compensation they would have got for Babcock since they allowed him to talk with other teams, because come July 1, 2015 his contract would be officially finished and they would have got nothing for him. Maybe the Leafs and the other teams could have waited but in the long run I think giving them the pick was worth it.

Where I don't think the Leafs should have given up a draft pick was for Lou Lamoriello. When he resigned from New Jersey he was just their President since Ray Shero had taken over as their GM. When the Leafs hired him it was to just be their GM and no other title. Plus since Shanahan admitted he got permission from the Devils to speak with him why were they entitled to a draft pick if they were going to let him leave if he wanted to.

Where the Leafs got screwed by these compensation rules was not getting a draft pick when Dave Nonis got hired by Anaheim as a special assignment scout and a consultant to the team's general manager on July 3, 2015 when he was still getting paid by the Leafs.

Finally it's to bad Randy Carlyle got hired by Anaheim when he did because chances are the Leafs would have wanted a draft pick the way Vancouver got a 2nd round pick for letting Columbus hire John Tortorella.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
man, alright ill just say it... post-cancer maatta has really regressed. I think his hockey iq is questionable personally. He has that dumb look on his face a lot I find.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Vegas makes second NHL type signing today, brings in 24 year old RW Tomas Hyka from the Czech Republic. Full details on the main board.

Duke-Shipachyov-Hyka
Guy-Guy-Guy
Guy-Guy-Guy
Guy-Guy-Guy

Guy-Guy
Guy-Guy
Guy-Guy

Guy
Guy

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

https://apnews.com/2e7d447d26f64a46...poso-visits-Sabres-for-1st-time-since-illness

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A person with direct knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that forward Kyle Okposo has visited the Buffalo Sabres’ facility for the first time in two months since he was hospitalized because of an undisclosed illness.

The person says Okposo was in good spirits during the unannounced visit a few weeks ago and has since been attending family functions around Buffalo. Okposo is continuing to show signs of improvement, but the person says there is no timetable for when he will be cleared to skate.

The person spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity because the Sabres are not providing updates on Okposo’s status, citing medical privacy laws.

Okposo spent about a week undergoing tests at Buffalo General Hospital’s neurosurgical intensive care unit in early April. He was first sidelined March 28 when he complained of feeling ill before a game at Columbus. Okposo had just returned to the lineup and played two games after missing 10 because of a rib injury.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Burke is threatening if CGY doesn't get a new rink they will move.
honestly. this is where if I were the NHL, i'd be like. Okay. move. but we're only supporting a team in CGY.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Burke is threatening if CGY doesn't get a new rink they will move.
honestly. this is where if I were the NHL, i'd be like. Okay. move. but we're only supporting a team in CGY.

Yeah that'll speed up the process :shakehead:

I bet the Flames have a new rink in 5-7 years ... A location (outside of what was already proposed) has already been heavily looked into. It just has to come down to who pays for it, or rather, how soon it will take the Flames to realize the City won't chip in a significant part (think over 30%) of the cost to build.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Did you happen to see the comment from someone in attendance who said "Most intelligent people know how to tie a tie" in reference to how Burke looked during his comments.

http://www.tsn.ca/burke-flames-could-move-without-new-rink-1.772863

i heard on the radio. i laughed hard.

and I agree Bert. like what do they think threatening the City is going to do? They'll go OMG NOOOOOOO PLEASE DON'T GO! like i tell yah this is why i'm not allowed to be in charge.

If i were Nenshi, I'd be like okay, have fun moving.
and if i were the NHL, i'd be okay have fun moving because we don't support it.

it's such an empty threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad