Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Fluery has been fine thus far, but what on earth has he accomplished in 7 games thus far that makes anyone believe he can be a top 4 defenseman right now? He’s played 13 minutes per night (less than all the top 9 forwards) against the weakest competition and has been on the ice for ZERO goals scored and three against. Two even strength.

Now that’s not to say he’s bad, he’s done his job so far. But that job is a #6 defenseman, and he’s been average at it.

I'm glad someone else has this view. I like Fleury fine, but he is being incredibly overrated by some for performing adequately in a very small role thus far.

Reactions: Unsustainable

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Fluery has been fine thus far, but what on earth has he accomplished in 7 games thus far that makes anyone believe he can be a top 4 defenseman right now? He’s played 13 minutes per night (less than all the top 9 forwards) against the weakest competition and has been on the ice for ZERO goals scored and three against. Two even strength.

Now that’s not to say he’s bad, he’s done his job so far. But that job is a #6 defenseman, and he’s been average at it.

First of all, he's a No. 7 overall pick. He was not drafted to be a No. 6 defenseman. His growth has been steady if unspectacular, and he's tracking toward becoming a shutdown second-pairing guy. Is it a little early? Maybe, yeah.

But, and here's the key point, he'd be taking the job of another "first d-man of the draft off the board" who has shown absolutely *no* signs of being a top-4 defender in two full *seasons*.

In other words, what exactly has Noah Hanifin done in the league to be gifted a top-4 role over Hadyn Fleury? In a head-to-head battle, I'd take Fleury's future right now. He's at least shown improvement and a willingness to work his tail off.

So maybe Fleury is overslotted on the second pair with Faulk right now, but I *know* Noah Hanifin is.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
First of all, he's a No. 7 overall pick. He was not drafted to be a No. 6 defenseman. His growth has been steady if unspectacular, and he's tracking toward becoming a shutdown second-pairing guy. Is it a little early? Maybe, yeah.

But, and here's the key point, he'd be taking the job of another "first d-man of the draft off the board" who has shown absolutely *no* signs of being a top-4 defender in two full *seasons*.

In other words, what exactly has Noah Hanifin done in the league to be gifted a top-4 role over Hadyn Fleury? In a head-to-head battle, I'd take Fleury's future right now. He's at least shown improvement and a willingness to work his tail off.

So maybe Fleury is overslotted on the second pair with Faulk right now, but I *know* Noah Hanifin is.
i forget

what was kevs assessment of pitkanen back in the day? because hanifin seems to trigger people the same way when he looks above average the majority of the time

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not like you lose all credibility when you say he's shown no signs. He has certainly had good stretches during the last two+ years. I think the Pitkanen assessment is pretty spot on. But hey, Fleury and his 13 minutes a night at an older age is so amazing.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I just realized the Yotes don't have win through 10 games so far. With the acquisitions of Stepan + Hammer as well as the addition of Keller's rookie year I thought they'd be a Carolina like team this year. Hovering in that 7-12th draft pick range.

It also doesn't surprise me to see the Canadiens or Rangers fall off this year like they have so far. Neither team has impressed me roster wise over the past few years. With a few middle tier pieces leaving their roster this off season it doesn't surprise me to see their rosters crumble.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Also I'm still in shock at just how much success the Golden Knights have had so far. I wonder if any of the management staff truly thought this was possible.

I'm also curious if they thought this was totally possible. And if so how much did analytics play into the players they chose at the expansion draft. Wonder if this is kind of like Money Ball story? Or it's potentially just a crazy fluke.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Surprised at Vegas as well. Some of their draft moves seemed very tank-esque (future in mind) but they clearly are doing well in the present. It will be entertaining to see what they do near the deadline should they stay in the picture.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I just realized the Yotes don't have win through 10 games so far. With the acquisitions of Stepan + Hammer as well as the addition of Keller's rookie year I thought they'd be a Carolina like team this year. Hovering in that 7-12th draft pick range.

It also doesn't surprise me to see the Canadiens or Rangers fall off this year like they have so far. Neither team has impressed me roster wise over the past few years. With a few middle tier pieces leaving their roster this off season it doesn't surprise me to see their rosters crumble.

I thought AZ would be a little better, but I didn't expect them to be uber competitive....except against us.

I predicted to some work colleagues that the Habs would be much worse than people thought. That defense is just, well, not good. The Rangers do surprise me, but I actually think they'll end up significantly better than where they are now....unless King H. is done.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Also I'm still in shock at just how much success the Golden Knights have had so far. I wonder if any of the management staff truly thought this was possible.

I'm also curious if they thought this was totally possible. And if so how much did analytics play into the players they chose at the expansion draft. Wonder if this is kind of like Money Ball story? Or it's potentially just a crazy fluke.

Surprised at Vegas as well. Some of their draft moves seemed very tank-esque (future in mind) but they clearly are doing well in the present. It will be entertaining to see what they do near the deadline should they stay in the picture.

I'm willing to bet ownership/management is less than thrilled with this start. There was no hidden genius to their moves, they were definitely trying to tank and it's backfiring so far.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'm willing to bet ownership/management is less than thrilled with this start. There was no hidden genius to their moves, they were definitely trying to tank and it's backfiring so far.

At the same time they are probably drawing a ton of buzz in the city with them winning like they have. Don't think management could be all that mad. People love winning teams, winning your first 7 out of 8 is a great way to introudce a new hockey city to the game of hockey.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
At the same time they are probably drawing a ton of buzz in the city with them winning like they have. Don't think management could be all that mad. People love winning teams, winning your first 7 out of 8 is a great way to introudce a new hockey city to the game of hockey.

I don't disagree, and I'm sure at some point soon they may consider changing course. But is making the playoffs this year, or possibly just missing but with decent success, the best option for the long term?

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
If I'm Vegas, run this train as long as you can. Forgot about long term, they have a lot of draft picks in the next 3 years, no need to seek more. Very surprised in their start and they just need to win roughly 41 more games out of 74 remaining to get to 96 points. That's almost win half of your remaining games to have a good shot at the playoffs. That's what starting the season on time does for you.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
With their next win (tonight hosting Colorado?), the Golden Knights will tie the number of wins earned by the Capitals in their expansion season (1974-75: 8–67–5).

Another interesting nugget to help us feel better about our power play: The Sabres (5ppg, 6shga) and the Islanders (2ppg, 5shga) have allowed more goals on their power play than they have scored. Factoring in the SHGs, the Islanders power play is clicking at minus-9.1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad