Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
@Boom Boom Aho or anyone else that watches a bit of the Leafs, has Hainsey really been as good as he's being described on the MB? Or are they so used to such incredibly bad defending that a 3rd pairing tweener is viewed as a bonafide top pairing guy? I just find it hilarious that after 7 games they are really excited about Ron f'ing Hainsey.
As much as I know, his done his basic job, staying back and providing safety for them. Rielly can join attacks more and know that someone will be ready to go back when needed and not be caught. Same old Hainsey as he was with Pens, nothing spectacular IMO

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Watched the game last night. You nailed it. He plays a responsible game and doesn't make mistakes. Being a fan of the Red Wings in addition to the Canes I can say that defenseman who play that type of game on a team of bad defensemen look way better than they actually are. Anytime a Wings Dman get's it successfully out of their own zone without clearing it off their own player or fanning on the pass I'm impressed.

It also helps that the Leafs forwards are so good it makes the d look better than they actually are. Hainsey's primary assist was a pass that any NHL Dman could make. No pressure on him and just 2 line passed it to a wide open guy at the blue line who sniped it in the corner.

Reactions: Breakdowns

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
@Boom Boom Aho or anyone else that watches a bit of the Leafs, has Hainsey really been as good as he's being described on the MB? Or are they so used to such incredibly bad defending that a 3rd pairing tweener is viewed as a bonafide top pairing guy? I just find it hilarious that after 7 games they are really excited about Ron f'ing Hainsey.

He's looked good, but not really much different than he did in Carolina, just that the Leafs have been a much better team. For the vast majority of the time, he plays a decent, conservative game and if you don't ask him to do too much, he's fine.

We liked to call him "hand grenade Hainsey" and point out when he flubbed a puck that ended up in our nets, but frankly, most of the time he was solid here. We just didn't have a team that could recover a goal against once it happened here because our offense was anemic. He still skates well, he doesn't handle the puck all that well but can move it up the ice and is a decent passer and is responsible defensively. He's been a good add for the Leafs, but from what I've seen, the same sort of player he was here, only on a superior team.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Other than that last season, Hainsey was a solid, solid player. Suddenly he started flubbing everything that came his way, taking bad penalties, unneccessary icings, etc. Some sort of a mental slump, idk. It's a little like what Rask has been going through so far this season, only with Hainsey it was more noticeable because mistakes from a d-man hurt you a lot more typically than mistakes from a forward.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
We overslotted Hainsey for so many seasons that he was perfectly prepared to again be overslotted by the Penguins in a first-pairing role.

No doubt overslotted again, but looking good by comparison with weak surrounds. Plus, that multi-goal team scoring thing does cure a lot.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
one of my friends' wives got GBS a few years ago and she still is recovering

it ultimately led to them getting a divorce because she wanted him to live his life instead of spending 12-16 hours a day in a hospital with her. three years later she can almost walk again. she can also barely speak yet. she was very close to being permanently paralyzed and potentially requiring assisted breathing for the rest of her life.

hers is pretty much the exceptionally rare ultra GBS though, most cases do not go that badly. it's just crazy how you can wake up one day and just not be you anymore.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I had never heard of it either. From webmd it appears to be only different in what it damages:

Multiple sclerosis (MS) and Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) are diseases of the nervous system. They’re not the same, but they do have a lot of similarities. Both MS and GBS are autoimmune diseases. This means they cause your body's immune system to attack its own tissues. They both start when the immune system attacks and damages something called myelin. That’s a layer of insulation that surrounds nerves. It also helps nerves transmit their messages.
Each condition affects a different part of your nervous system:
MS damages the central nervous system. That’s the brain and spinal cord.
GBS damages the peripheral nervous system. That’s the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad