Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
What the heck is going on with Shipachyov? He's now been given permission to seek his own trade and it's already been confirmed that Montreal, the team rumoured to be after him all last year, are not interested.

He's only got one point so far and missed a lot of games while in the ahl so he hasn't been instrumental to their success. Has he really been that. As?

They just signed him for 2 years 4.5 per and are trying to dump him not even ten games into the contract.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We should look to make some moves with Vegas especially if their GM is trying to tank...they obviously have some offensive talent for Peters to neuter.

Looks like lots of coaches put their players out and say "do your thing" that got you into the league while Peters says, "don't make a single mistake or you're in my dog house." maybe that's why we lack creativity on offense.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Watching CLB...Bob is such an equalizer. I'm not saying Darling is bad, just that Bob is so good. Werenski makes a bad play leading to a breakaway by ROR. He actually makes a nice shot in one of the toughest place for a goalie to stop, blocker side just over the pad and Bob somehow gets a piece of it. An earlier odd man rush after a CLB defensive breakdown also ends up with a save. Their D can be so much more aggressive in the offensive zone with him back there.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I had never heard of it either. From webmd it appears to be only different in what it damages:

My daughter had it when she was in second grade. Absolutely terrifying. Recovery depends on how quickly it's diagnosed, because although it's treatable, the nerve damage is very difficult to reverse. So early diagnosis is the key. Severe cases are usually the ones that aren't diagnosed in a timely fashion, which is difficult because it's so rare.

My daughter recovered fully, but we had a very scary night when the ascending paralysis approached her diaphragm, which of course, would have affected her ability to breathe. Hopefully, Eaves was diagnosed early and he'll recover fully. But I wouldn't expect him to play again this season, even best-case scenario.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Bob McKenzie said during intermission of the Buf-CLB game, that he was sure the Sabres would trade Evander Kane during the season as they won't want to pay him and would want to build the team around Eichel and company. I know many fans hate the guy and wouldn't want him on our team, but he'd be a perfect fit on this team IMO. Fast, physical, a goal scorer and not afraid to go to the dirty areas to score.

Problem is they'd have to want to pay him/sign him to an extension or the cost to get him would be too much so I don't see it happening.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Shipachyov has been given permission to seek trade. Not a Canes type of pickup but he is a high skill Center. Wouldn't be surprised if Francis is looking for offensive upgrades. Just doesn't seem like the right player - probably goes to Columbus or NJ given the Canes luck.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
So let me start off by saying I'm not advocating for trading our 20 year old defenseman right now. But for the sake of discussion, with the team struggling to score and seeing some trade talks on these boards, let's say the Canes are willing to move right now. How about trying to swing 2 trades.

Rask+3rd
for
RNH

I would think would be dependant on Edmonton looking ahead and seeing possible cap trouble coming. Otherwise not sure they have the motivation. I think RNH might be a better fit for the Canes though with Staal taking on the tough minutes anyways. Then

Hanifin + Roy
for
Duchene

This one should be really polarizing. In the summer I wouldn't have done Hanifin straight up, but Fleury has exceeded expectations so far, and might make it easier to tolerate if we feel we need the offense. Roy is a nice prospect, but with Duchene, Staal and RNH in the NHL and possibly Wallmark and Necas coming, there might just be no room for him. Give up some prospect depth to gain higher end skill.

Aho-Duchene-Lindholm
TT-Staal-Williams
Skinner-RNH-Ryan/Stemp
Nordstrom-Kruger-Jooris
McGinn

Might be a little more formidable. Having 3 centers making 6+ million with Skinner and Faulk needing raises could kill this though, I haven't done the math.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So let me start off by saying I'm not advocating for trading our 20 year old defenseman right now. But for the sake of discussion, with the team struggling to score and seeing some trade talks on these boards, let's say the Canes are willing to move right now. How about trying to swing 2 trades.

Rask+3rd
for
RNH

I would think would be dependant on Edmonton looking ahead and seeing possible cap trouble coming. Otherwise not sure they have the motivation. I think RNH might be a better fit for the Canes though with Staal taking on the tough minutes anyways. Then

Hanifin + Roy
for
Duchene

This one should be really polarizing. In the summer I wouldn't have done Hanifin straight up, but Fleury has exceeded expectations so far, and might make it easier to tolerate if we feel we need the offense. Roy is a nice prospect, but with Duchene, Staal and RNH in the NHL and possibly Wallmark and Necas coming, there might just be no room for him. Give up some prospect depth to gain higher end skill.

Aho-Duchene-Lindholm
TT-Staal-Williams
Skinner-RNH-Ryan/Stemp
Nordstrom-Kruger-Jooris
McGinn

Might be a little more formidable. Having 3 centers making 6+ million with Skinner and Faulk needing raises could kill this though, I haven't done the math.

Love the thoughts and I'm in, but in three years at the helm RF has managed exactly *zero* player-for-player hockey trades. I think hoping for *two* in quick succession is probably overshooting things. I'll be absolutely shocked if he makes *any* such trades actually, regardless of how many points we piss away because we can't score. Mr. Even Keel suggests we stay the course.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Shipachyov is like Semin v2, I am 100% against this trade. There is chance he will make it, but so far he is not doing so good. He can`t crack Vegas roster- that`s just bad.

Semin 2.0? So he comes in and puts up near ppg as one of the top skilled players on the team for the next 2 years at $4.5 million?

Resist the urge to re-sign him after that (the mistake with Semin) and it doesn't sound too bad, no?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Vegas wants him to go to the minors to acclimatize to the nhl. He hasn't been good enough to make an expansion squad desperate for talent, regardless of their hot start. We shouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

That expansion team has a better record and better offense than us.

Or is Gallant a wizard?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Fluery has been fine thus far, but what on earth has he accomplished in 7 games thus far that makes anyone believe he can be a top 4 defenseman right now? He’s played 13 minutes per night (less than all the top 9 forwards) against the weakest competition and has been on the ice for ZERO goals scored and three against. Two even strength.

Now that’s not to say he’s bad, he’s done his job so far. But that job is a #6 defenseman, and he’s been average at it.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Semin 2.0? So he comes in and puts up near ppg as one of the top skilled players on the team for the next 2 years at $4.5 million?

Resist the urge to re-sign him after that (the mistake with Semin) and it doesn't sound too bad, no?
Yeah I wish, but I think he will be like Semin after his new contract
I don`t trust that guy, and he is already 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad