Around the League Part 5: The Drouin Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Really I have kind of a hard time believing Francis/peters are all that interested in drouin, doesn't seem like the type of player they are wanting to build around.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think they'd be interested given we are playing such a possession oriented game. The next step is upgrading the skill while playing that possession game. Drouin could be a stud at it. He'd be the best on the team at maintaining possession in tight spaces and finding an open outlet at the last second.

That's the difference between the way we are playing and the Babcock days wings. Amazing offensive players playing a possession game gets tough to beat. Have to take it away from them.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think they'd be interested given we are playing such a possession oriented game. The next step is upgrading the skill while playing that possession game. Drouin could be a stud at it. He'd be the best on the team at maintaining possession in tight spaces and finding an open outlet at the last second.

That's the difference between the way we are playing and the Babcock days wings. Amazing offensive players playing a possession game gets tough to beat. Have to take it away from them.

But in theory that's what Lindholm is, maybe not to the same skill level but still very high. While being bigger and stronger and more defensively sound. Not to mention being the only righty with a modicum of skill in the system (since I assume Steeg is out the door)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd think long and hard about Lindholm for Drouin. I think I'd pull the trigger there. Sure, Lindholm has no attitude problem, and Drouin very likely does. And that could absolutely help cause Drouin to bust if he isn't willing to put in the work. We've seen plenty of divas not last in the NHL because of it. That being said, Drouin's offensive ceiling is almost too tempting to pass up. I can't imagine many teams offering much more than Lindholm.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Id rather give a D prospect not named Hanifin. We need forward prospects. Hopefully more than 1 so we can build some chemistry.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we are giving up any of Slavin, Fleury, or Pesce, it better be for a guy like Drouin (obviously, we'd have to add). I really don't agree with the notion that because we have an abundance of prospects on D, we need to trade them for F though. While Slavin and Pesce have done well for themselves, there's no guarantee that all these guys (Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, McKeown, etc..) will pan out to what we hope they will in the long run. I say keep them all until we know what we have unless it's for a true talent (like Drouin) that we aren't likely to get via the draft.

We currently have 2 1sts and 2 3rds in this coming draft and may get a few more picks and some prospects at the deadline. We have a young enough team that we don't need to rush this. We also have a couple of skilled guys in the systems that will need time so again, no need to try and short circuit this by moving our D unless it's for someone like a Drouin. Plus, you can win a lot of games with good goaltending and a strong defense.

Murphy I'm fine with moving, but mainly because I really don't think the Canes see him as part of the long term plan (my view) and they've seen enough of him to know what they have (or will have).

EDIT: I should also be honest that I'm not a huge fan of Murphy. I really hope he puts it together. I see a guy that has immense skill, but has not been able to effectively use that to his advantage offensively, although I have seen some improvement in that (NHL wise). He used to basically skate it end to end then lose it where-as he seems to be using his team-mates more often. He's still weak defensively though, which is why I don't see him being in the long term plans. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I question his hockey sense.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we are giving up any of Slavin, Fleury, or Pesce, it better be for a guy like Drouin (obviously, we'd have to add). I really don't agree with the notion that because we have an abundance of prospects on D, we need to trade them for F though. While Slavin and Pesce have done well for themselves, there's no guarantee that all these guys (Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, McKeown, etc..) will pan out to what we hope they will in the long run. I say keep them all until we know what we have unless it's for a true talent (like Drouin) that we aren't likely to get via the draft.

We currently have 2 1sts and 2 3rds in this coming draft and may get a few more picks and some prospects at the deadline. We have a young enough team that we don't need to rush this. We also have a couple of skilled guys in the systems that will need time so again, no need to try and short circuit this by moving our D unless it's for someone like a Drouin. Plus, you can win a lot of games with good goaltending and a strong defense.

Murphy I'm fine with moving, but mainly because I really don't think the Canes see him as part of the long term plan (my view) and they've seen enough of him to know what they have (or will have).

EDIT: I should also be honest that I'm not a huge fan of Murphy. I really hope he puts it together. I see a guy that has immense skill, but has not been able to effectively use that to his advantage offensively, although I have seen some improvement in that (NHL wise). He used to basically skate it end to end then lose it where-as he seems to be using his team-mates more often. He's still weak defensively though, which is why I don't see him being in the long term plans. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I question his hockey sense.

I agree 100% with this....and as we saw last night the kids, Faulk included, still make "kids" mistakes. We need to let this stew keep cooking.

I just don't see Ronnie/Bill adding a kid and an agent that stirs the pot more than seasoning it. I'm not saying Drouin is a huge head case, but he could have just as easily said "....heck with you, Walsh, I'm playing. Just get me traded". Then he would have looked lie a team guy who was being treated badly. As it is now, he looks like a prima donna.

I'll say again, I'd be more inclined to look at guys like Rattie or Rychel even though they don't have the upside. They are skilled scorers, both of whom are playing in the NHL right now.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I agree 100% with this....and as we saw last night the kids, Faulk included, still make "kids" mistakes. We need to let this stew keep cooking.

I just don't see Ronnie/Bill adding a kid and an agent that stirs the pot more than seasoning it. I'm not saying Drouin is a huge head case, but he could have just as easily said "....heck with you, Walsh, I'm playing. Just get me traded". Then he would have looked lie a team guy who was being treated badly. As it is now, he looks like a prima donna.

I'll say again, I'd be more inclined to look at guys like Rattie or Rychel even though they don't have the upside. They are skilled scorers, both of whom are playing in the NHL right now.

I'd be nervous about Drouin as an issue in the room too, but he's still only 20 years old. There are a lot of players in this league who had reputations as complete and utter sh*theads when they came into the league that matured out of it in their 20s. We've got some very strong, levelheaded leadership in the org that has pretty successfully kept those personalities in check in young players. We've got a room full of very even-keeled guys who aren't shy about taking young players under their wings and bringing them along, and that might be exactly what Drouin needs to become successful. From the coaches, to the vets, to the young guys, we seem to have friendly, humble folks in the room. That rubs off.

He's a skilled guy and has huge upside. I'd like to see him here, I think our locker room is a good environment for players to mature, and even if Drouin doesn't mature, I think it's one that can contain the effects.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
being a xenophobic, paranoid, ultra-nationalist, who is threatened by change and believes that liking anything new or different, or at least entertaining said new//different thing before making a final decision, makes you a weak and a traitor.

Are you confusing that with Donald Trump Syndrom?

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I really dont understand the NHL's policy on blizzards. In 2009 when we were in the middle of a 2 foot blizzard, the Caps game went on as scheduled. People who drove home from that game had to drive on snow covered interstates with high winds.

Now, lately it seems NHL has become more lax about it. Same situation at 7 years earlier, but the game gets cancelled. Its definitely reasonable but I just dont get the inconsistency.

Would have been nice to have something to do instead of being stuck home all weekend too :(

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So...

Estaal (rental), LA first, and a prospect is not that far off after all, then?

I guess it all depends on what prospect it is. From what I can get from the various rumors, news, etc....I think Yzerman is looking for a high end type prospect/young player for Drouin. So a rental, a likely end of the 1st round pick and a so-so prospect really doesn't cut it IMO.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I really dont understand the NHL's policy on blizzards. In 2009 when we were in the middle of a 2 foot blizzard, the Caps game went on as scheduled. People who drove home from that game had to drive on snow covered interstates with high winds.

Now, lately it seems NHL has become more lax about it. Same situation at 7 years earlier, but the game gets cancelled. Its definitely reasonable but I just dont get the inconsistency.

Would have been nice to have something to do instead of being stuck home all weekend too :(

Is it really inconsistency if the policy takes 7 years to change?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I'd be nervous about Drouin as an issue in the room too, but he's still only 20 years old. There are a lot of players in this league who had reputations as complete and utter sh*theads when they came into the league that matured out of it in their 20s. We've got some very strong, levelheaded leadership in the org that has pretty successfully kept those personalities in check in young players. We've got a room full of very even-keeled guys who aren't shy about taking young players under their wings and bringing them along, and that might be exactly what Drouin needs to become successful. From the coaches, to the vets, to the young guys, we seem to have friendly, humble folks in the room. That rubs off.

He's a skilled guy and has huge upside. I'd like to see him here, I think our locker room is a good environment for players to mature, and even if Drouin doesn't mature, I think it's one that can contain the effects.

Tampa has good management and a solid locker room as well. The Drouin situation is driven by his and his agent's desire for more ice-time, more production, and a better bargaining position for his next contract.

Can Drouin hold his own in a full-time top-six role right now? Would putting him in that role today be best for his long-term development? What are the financial ramifications to the player/agent and team of these decisions?

Yzerman has been good at locking up young talented guys on cheap bridge contracts. If Drouin would've accepted how things are going, he probably would've had to sign a relatively cheap bridge contract. Look at his games played and production versus say the other guys in the top 10 of his draft...not saying it's the wrong approach for his development...but who will be cashing in when the ELC's are up and who will not?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Tampa has good management and a solid locker room as well.

I would be really hesitant to make such a statement. St. Louis forced his way out. Drouin is now forcing his way out. It's increasingly looking like there's no amount of money that's going to make Stamkos stay.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Lots of bold faced names are trying to get the hell out of Tampa, and while each one on its own looks like it could be an isolated case, together they paint a picture. I think there are some deeper issues in Tampa.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I hesitate to say Drouin has any attitude problem at all. He and his agent made a business decision based on how things were going and now he's just following advice. He's likely going to fit in just fine in any locker room. I always think these "attitude" issues that are thrown around are grossly overblown.

Rask dropped over skating and some attitude concerns, no? Looks like the most chill guy on the team and works very hard. If it was following Drouin the whole time, it would be a a debatable topic but I don't think he's known to have any attitude issues at all previously.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
being a xenophobic, paranoid, ultra-nationalist, who is threatened by change and believes that liking anything new or different, or at least entertaining said new//different thing before making a final decision, makes you a weak and a traitor.

or country music just ****ing sucks

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
or country music just ****ing sucks

The BS that's on the radio these days should not be considered country music and is atrocious. So bad that it is in my top 5 attributes/interests that make a woman undateable. I'll make exceptions to old country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad